Beta-testers for ExFat feature

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Beta-testers for ExFat feature

Post by slingshot »

I've replaced the good old Minimig FAT driver in the firmware with FatFs from ChaN:
http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html
As it's a very intrusive change, I need volunteers to test it before release. Please PM if interested, then I can provide firmware binaries. The sources are here for everyone:
https://github.com/gyurco/mist-firmware/tree/fatfs

Please apply only if:
- You can use SAM-BA if the firmware upgrade/downgrade breaks (I tested it, and I believe it's stable, but need some more testing).
- You're willing to provide useful bug reports (e.g. not just "It doesn't work").

As ExFat doesn't store short file names, everything is changed to use long filenames. That means the config files which store filenames (Archie, ST and Minimig) are changed, too, and the old ones will ignored until they're saved again. Now they can store filenames up to 63 characters.
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Beta-testers for ExFat feature

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

That's supercool. The previous solution had really grown into a bloody mess.

I'll give it a try asap.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki
ingloriond
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ingloriond »

slingshot wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:26 pm I've replaced the good old Minimig FAT driver in the firmware with FatFs from ChaN:
http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html
As it's a very intrusive change, I need volunteers to test it before release. Please PM if interested, then I can provide firmware binaries. The sources are here for everyone:
https://github.com/gyurco/mist-firmware/tree/fatfs

Please apply only if:
- You can use SAM-BA if the firmware upgrade/downgrade breaks (I tested it, and I believe it's stable, but need some more testing).
- You're willing to provide useful bug reports (e.g. not just "It doesn't work").

As ExFat doesn't store short file names, everything is changed to use long filenames. That means the config files which store filenames (Archie, ST and Minimig) are changed, too, and the old ones will ignored until they're saved again. Now they can store filenames up to 63 characters.
Hi, newbie here in Atari-forum. I can test it if you don't mind to . I've got a SiDi wich uses the same firmware. Great job

Thanks
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

MasterOfGizmo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 am That's supercool. The previous solution had really grown into a bloody mess.

I'll give it a try asap.
Good to see you still around!

I hope the bugs with not able to save config files will also gone forever.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

ingloriond wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:16 pm
Hi, newbie here in Atari-forum. I can test it if you don't mind to . I've got a SiDi wich uses the same firmware. Great job

Thanks
PM sent.
gtv3000
Atariator
Atariator

Post by gtv3000 »

hi,
i am interested in testing the firmware to manage the exfat filesystem, i send you a pm
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

If it was not clear: FAT(16 and 32) will continue to work even with this exFAT-enabled firmware. FatFs is very versatile with supporting both FAT and exFAT.
facik
Atarian
Atarian

Post by facik »

hello all,
also interested :)
ingloriond
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ingloriond »

Hi , I'm being testing the exfat beta and works very well. I'm testing mainly arcades and minimig. I didn't notice any sd corruption even with bad extractión. The only thing that has failed me has been a specific hdf (6gb) that work in MiSTer, possibly it is related to the sidi core. I suspect it is the scsi.device that has been used(it can't handle 3 partition pfs3). Other hdfs bigger than 4gb have worked perfectly. If you want to test that particular hdf, I can upload it somewhere.
jokker
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by jokker »

Yeah I'd give it a go
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

ingloriond wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 pm Hi , I'm being testing the exfat beta and works very well. I'm testing mainly arcades and minimig. I didn't notice any sd corruption even with bad extractión. The only thing that has failed me has been a specific hdf (6gb) that work in MiSTer, possibly it is related to the sidi core. I suspect it is the scsi.device that has been used(it can't handle 3 partition pfs3). Other hdfs bigger than 4gb have worked perfectly. If you want to test that particular hdf, I can upload it somewhere.
Maybe it is related to:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/issues/156
?
jokker
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by jokker »

No problems so far, messed with several computer cores (minimig, mistery, c64, atari800) and nothing has been a problem at all.
Last edited by jokker on Thu May 20, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gtv3000
Atariator
Atariator

Post by gtv3000 »

in these 2 days I have done a lot of tests with the exFat firmware and the MiST 1.3.
Also I was happy for this filesystem in order to support HDF above 4GB. If I use HDF's that work on the Minimig core of the MiSTer / WinUAE on the MiST the 3rd partition is seen as NDOS. I have successfully tried to partition a 16GB HDF directly from MiST successfully using the 3.1.4 kickstart and its installation disks, with primary partition of 100MB in FFS and secondary in PFS. Yesterday I sent a PM to Slingshot saying that everything was working fine, but I did further tests a little while ago and I noticed that I could not extract any archives in lha, while I can easily do it on WinUAE. I also tried CPS1, CPS2 beta, Megadrive and all these cores work very well .... I think the problem is in the MiST Core Minimg. On the MiSTer / MiST I used the same SD formatted in exfat to be sure of the result.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

It would definitely worth to check such a wrongly behaving .hdf file. I suspect the missing LBA mode is the problem (easy to add, just would be good to have something to test on).
retrofun
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by retrofun »

Hi slingshot!

Works great except for some small regressions:
  • read-only disk images cannot be mounted (tested with Amstrad, C64, Minimig cores)
  • read-only lock symbol in Minimig OSD did not work (FILINFO.fattrib AM_RDO flag test on FFOBJID.attr)
My fixes so far are here. Probably needs fixes for (FA_READ | FA_WRITE) at some more places.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

retrofun wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:18 pm Hi slingshot!

Works great except for some small regressions:
  • read-only disk images cannot be mounted (tested with Amstrad, C64, Minimig cores)
  • read-only lock symbol in Minimig OSD did not work (FILINFO.fattrib AM_RDO flag test on FFOBJID.attr)
My fixes so far are here. Probably needs fixes for (FA_READ | FA_WRITE) at some more places.
Hi!

Thanks, I really didn't consider read-only files. Maybe it's not make sense to have RO IDE and ACSI disks, then your fixes cover the other cases.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

Here's a new beta, I assume it's safe to use, according to the testers (thanks for that!). But still be prepared for SAM-BA if something goes wrong.
There's a surprise core in it, which takes advantage of FatFs's new abilities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanyPPC
Atari God
Atari God

Post by DanyPPC »

Many thanks slingshot, I will test new TGFX16 core with some cd games on a new ex-fat formatted sd card.

You are a God ! :cheers:
DanyPPC
Atari God
Atari God

Post by DanyPPC »

Excellent !
Tested some CD (bin+cue) games image and they worked properly.

A little question: is there a chance to have audio CD from image files working with Minimig ?
I would play T-Zer0 with its audio tracks :)
retrofun
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by retrofun »

amstrad_201120_r005.8.16.8.5c2 core does not accept .DSK & .CDT files any more.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

retrofun wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:35 pm amstrad_201120_r005.8.16.8.5c2 core does not accept .DSK & .CDT files any more.
Good observation, I just fixed it.
facik
Atarian
Atarian

Post by facik »

Just tested snes and minimig (big file) - works perfect so far. Great job!
vebxenon
Atari God
Atari God

Post by vebxenon »

I'll try to do some tests with EX-FAT :) at night or tomorrow.

:cheers:
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

Here's a 3rd beta, probably the last. It should fix the large file reads (mostly in Minimig).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanyPPC
Atari God
Atari God

Post by DanyPPC »

Thanks Slingshot

Is there a chance to have cd audio image support in minimig too ?
Like the TGFX16 core.

Return to “MiST”