Work on the Minimig core?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Work on the Minimig core?

Post by ijor »

robinsonb5 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm The best analogy I've heard so far is to think of it a bit like overclocking; the design's guaranteed to run up to a certain speed - beyond that it might work or it might not, and how far you can push it varies from chip to chip.
That's only one aspect of the timing. There are timing issues, such as hold time violations, that don't depend on the clock frequency.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core
kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by kolla »

Thanks, googling “hold time violations” made me a little wiser ;)
-- kolla
kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by kolla »

Sort of off-topic, but still, this being the most active all-around minimig related discussion thread... have there been any Minimig changes lately that would be worthwhile porting back to the original Minimig v1.1? Would something nutty like AGA modes on the original Minimig be possible (as in, does it fit?) :)
-- kolla
robinsonb5
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robinsonb5 »

kolla wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:22 pm Sort of off-topic, but still, this being the most active all-around minimig related discussion thread... have there been any Minimig changes lately that would be worthwhile porting back to the original Minimig v1.1? Would something nutty like AGA modes on the original Minimig be possible (as in, does it fit?) :)
The AGA stuff almost certainly won't fit but there have been a couple of firmware tweaks that might be worth backporting - I recently found a long-standing bug with ADF writes that I think goes all the way back to the Minimig V1.1 ARM firmware - and also a problem with detecting the size of SD cards which is usually harmless, but can prevent a card being directly mounted from within the Amiga environment.
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

I am using a bigger (64GB) sdcard nowadays. I also like to play with amiga hdf files. Any chance somebody know how to get access to hdf in subfolders? Maybe not possible at the moment? If so any reason, why this should not be possible? It works nice for the adf selection. It would be especially useful imho since we are limited to 4GB file size hdfs due to FAT32 :shrug:
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

NegSol wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:52 pm It would be especially useful imho since we are limited to 4GB file size hdfs due to FAT32 :shrug:
How would it help on the limit?
uchristo
Atari User
Atari User

Post by uchristo »

NegSol wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:52 pm I am using a bigger (64GB) sdcard nowadays. I also like to play with amiga hdf files. Any chance somebody know how to get access to hdf in subfolders? Maybe not possible at the moment? If so any reason, why this should not be possible? It works nice for the adf selection. It would be especially useful imho since we are limited to 4GB file size hdfs due to FAT32 :shrug:
On Linux you could partition the SD-Card into to two partitions. One FAT32 for Core, Kick, etc. The other one can be used as Amiga Image (Image of whole Harddisk including RDB). I'm currently using this with a 16GB Card splitted into 512MB System-Partition and the rest (Partition2) is used on Minimig-AGA Core as Harddisk.

On Linux you can then use fs-uae to add the Blockdevice as a Harddisk and populate it with Data.
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

slingshot wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:53 pm
NegSol wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:52 pm It would be especially useful imho since we are limited to 4GB file size hdfs due to FAT32 :shrug:
How would it help on the limit?
At least one could split big contents into smaller files. See demobase V3 as an example. Here all demos get an individual hdf. Of course this results in hundreds of hdfs lingering in the root directory.

Also I like to experiment and will end up with multiple copies for testing. Not easy to manage all in one dir.

Maybe itˋs just me who likes subdirs. :P
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

NegSol wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:04 am Maybe itˋs just me who likes subdirs. :P
The problem is not the subdir itself, but storing the path in the config file and walk through it.
robinsonb5
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robinsonb5 »

slingshot wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:59 pm The problem is not the subdir itself, but storing the path in the config file and walk through it.
Would it be possible to store the directory's block address rather than its path?
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

robinsonb5 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:28 pm
slingshot wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:59 pm The problem is not the subdir itself, but storing the path in the config file and walk through it.
Would it be possible to store the directory's block address rather than its path?
Yes, but it's a bit fragile, I think. It can point to very bad places after moving files/directories around (e.g. to a middle of a file).
kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by kolla »

Yes yikes. I actively use the FAT32 filesystem from within AmigaOS on the MiST (using fat95 handler) and find that a heck lot more convenient than anything else. I never need to mount the SD card on a PC, and can do management of kickstart files, ADFs, update cores and firmwares etc. using Amiga software (dopus, workbench, shell, whatever)
-- kolla
Sheldon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Sheldon »

Hello,

someone can play game Reshoot-R on Mist with last Amiga AGA core ?

Best Regard.
Computers : Mega STE+(4Mo +HXC SLim and UltraSatan), Atari 1040 STe+( 4Mo + HXC SLim and UltraSatan), Atari 1040 Stf+(HXC SLim , Mega ST1+(HXC SLim and UltraSatan), FPGA Mist+Mistery Core( and other ...)
http://www.amedia-computer.com
DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DanyPPC »

WHDLoad version 1.1 works very well.
vebxenon
Atari God
Atari God

Post by vebxenon »

uchristo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:59 am
vebxenon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 am .................
Now the only game I have with problems is Rainbow Islands using WHDLoad. So one game from hundreds... it's great :cheers:
Anybody got a hint whats wrong with Rainbow Islands? I know it's only one from hundreds, but it's a very special one :wink:
It's 68020 FPGA related, but for now using 68000 works very well 🙂. I'm using an Amiga 500 1.3 Kickstarter + autoboot ADF config just for It.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board
Sheldon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Sheldon »

DanyPPC wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:52 pm WHDLoad version 1.1 works very well.
thank you very much, i can play ReshootR on Mist now :)
Best Regard.
Computers : Mega STE+(4Mo +HXC SLim and UltraSatan), Atari 1040 STe+( 4Mo + HXC SLim and UltraSatan), Atari 1040 Stf+(HXC SLim , Mega ST1+(HXC SLim and UltraSatan), FPGA Mist+Mistery Core( and other ...)
http://www.amedia-computer.com
uchristo
Atari User
Atari User

Post by uchristo »

vebxenon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:41 am
vebxenon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 am .................
Now the only game I have with problems is Rainbow Islands using WHDLoad. So one game from hundreds... it's great :cheers:
Anybody got a hint whats wrong with Rainbow Islands? I know it's only one from hundreds, but it's a very special one :wink:
It's 68020 FPGA related, but for now using 68000 works very well 🙂. I'm using an Amiga 500 1.3 Kickstarter + autoboot ADF config just for It.

How do you achieve the autoboot? Do you use this one from menu.c?

Code: Select all

void inserttestfloppy() { 
  char name[] = "AUTO    ADF";
  int i;

for(i=0;i<4;i++) {
    name[4] = '0'+i;

if (FileOpen(&file, name) != 0)
      InsertFloppy(&df[i]);
  }
}

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

vebxenon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 am Now the only game I have with problems is Rainbow Islands using WHDLoad. So one game from hundreds... it's great :cheers:
Most (all?) Graftgold titles behave the same way with 68020. It jumps to a middle of an instruction. The jump seems good to me, thus the error must happen earlier. Somebody wants to debug where it goes to wrong way?
vebxenon
Atari God
Atari God

Post by vebxenon »

uchristo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 am
vebxenon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:41 am

How do you achieve the autoboot? Do you use this one from menu.c?

Code: Select all

void inserttestfloppy() { 
  char name[] = "AUTO    ADF";
  int i;

for(i=0;i<4;i++) {
    name[4] = '0'+i;

if (FileOpen(&file, name) != 0)
      InsertFloppy(&df[i]);
  }
}

Just putting the disk when kickstart starts it boots automatically.

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board
uchristo
Atari User
Atari User

Post by uchristo »

vebxenon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 am Just putting the disk when kickstart starts it boots automatically.
But this involves using the osd? I'd think of just plugging the SD-Card in and start the MiST
vebxenon
Atari God
Atari God

Post by vebxenon »

uchristo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am
vebxenon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 am Just putting the disk when kickstart starts it boots automatically.
But this involves using the osd? I'd think of just plugging the SD-Card in and start the MiST
Yes, sure. But if you save the config with the disk inserted, it will start once you select It.

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board
uchristo
Atari User
Atari User

Post by uchristo »

Didn‘t know that the mounted adfs are written to config. I remember asking for this some time ago....I‘ll try that
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

uchristo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:02 pm Didn‘t know that the mounted adfs are written to config. I remember asking for this some time ago....I‘ll try that
Because it's not:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-firm ... nfig.h#L22
uchristo
Atari User
Atari User

Post by uchristo »

typedef struct
{
unsigned char speed;
unsigned char drives;
} floppyTYPE;

Indeed, it's just the number of drives activated in this config.
To Automount ADFs, they have to be renamed in a special way and the inserttestfloppy() has to be called within main.c

EDIT: inserttestfloppy() could be called when no hardfile is configured ;-)

Edit #2: my initial request: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-firmware/issues/13

EDIT #3: was removed in 2013 in commit 03ff2a747a8db26c3948291b9a451fcae317889a
Last edited by uchristo on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

uchristo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:19 am
Edit #2: my initial request: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-firmware/issues/13
Yeah, saving filenames in directories are not trivial in the firmware.
Mounting predefined files in root is definitely possible.

Return to “MiST”