(Poll) Most wanted new MIST cores: Semifinals - Heat 1 of 2

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Which new systems would you like most to see running on the MIST board?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Acorn Electron
4%
Apple IIGS
13%
Atari 7800
8%
Enterprise 128
7%
IBM PC/XT (4.77 MHz 8088 or 8086, maybe with an 8 MHz "Turbo switch") with CGA/EGA/Hercules graphics
24%
NEC SuperGrafx
9%
Nintendo SNES
23%
Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer 1/2
4%
Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer 3
5%
Tandy TRS-80 Model I/III/4
5%

Total votes: 133

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

(Poll) Most wanted new MIST cores: Semifinals - Heat 1 of 2

Post by RobertK »

Which new systems would you like most to see running on the MIST board?

You may select up to three options in both semifinals.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: (Poll) Most wanted new MIST cores: Semifinals - Heat 1 of 2

Post by Sorgelig »

Several month ago i've started to port x86 core to the MiST. It's quite complicated. Get some progress with help from Till. But since it's VGA-only and my setup is targeted for TV mode, and having troubles with porting - it's stalled. May be Till can make some initial port of x86 core if he will see enough demand from community :)
So, this core is definitely possible. The speed should be around 486SX-66 if i remember correct. It uses reduced ticks-per-command architecture making CPU speed faster on the same CPU frequency.
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DrOG »

It would be great!

As I remember, VGA is 'backward compatible' with EGA and CGA, the only exception is Hercules...

The 486SX-66 speed is in my opinion more than enough - most of 'pre-Windows era' games and applications would run fine.

Thanks in advance: Gábor
RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by RobertK »

DrOG wrote:As I remember, VGA is 'backward compatible' with EGA and CGA, the only exception is Hercules...
Not entirely: a custom CGA palette is not displayed correctly on a VGA card (as far as I know, some special registers are missing on VGA cards).
See for example Pitstop 2 and Outrun (in CGA). If you run these on a VGA card you will see the standard cyan-magenta palette. Notice that in Pitstop 2 the grass should be green and the sky blue.
In DOSBox you have to use the machine=cga (or ega) setting to correctly display these CGA games.
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DrOG »

I didn't know that, thanks for the correction!
vebxenon
Atari God
Atari God

Post by vebxenon »

Sorgelig wrote:Several month ago i've started to port x86 core to the MiST. It's quite complicated. Get some progress with help from Till. But since it's VGA-only and my setup is targeted for TV mode, and having troubles with porting - it's stalled. May be Till can make some initial port of x86 core if he will see enough demand from community :)
So, this core is definitely possible. The speed should be around 486SX-66 if i remember correct. It uses reduced ticks-per-command architecture making CPU speed faster on the same CPU frequency.
Oh :D , my first PC was a 486 DX2 66 MHz. OUTSTANDING! :cheers: And I started composing music on this computer with Scream and Impulse tracker. Hope this core will be finished <3

Regards,

Salva
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Return to “MiST”