Post by rondc »

Nice !
Thx :D
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MIST C64 core

Post by NegSol »

With core 0925 with Giana Sisters I somehow cannot make the character jump using my SNES Buffalo USB gamepad (pressing up). However, when opening the OSD and pressing UP I can see the character jump in the background normaly. Closing the OSD returns to not jumping. It feels like "up" is a pause button or interrupt freezing the screen. Really strange. I tested various formats and version of the game - all react the same. Anyone else get that? I have not tested other core versions yet. :shrug:
DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DanyPPC »

No problem here, but I us an INNEXT snes usb pad.
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

NegSol wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:40 pm With core 0925 with Giana Sisters I somehow cannot make the character jump using my SNES Buffalo USB gamepad (pressing up). However, when opening the OSD and pressing UP I can see the character jump in the background normaly. Closing the OSD returns to not jumping. It feels like "up" is a pause button or interrupt freezing the screen. Really strange. I tested various formats and version of the game - all react the same. Anyone else get that? I have not tested other core versions yet. :shrug:
Tested with another MiST - same same.
Tested with DB9 only. Jumping work without a problem.
I guess it has to be the iBuffalo controller. But only Giana Sister shows this - all other thinks work just fine. - a bit strange... :shrug:
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

NegSol wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:52 pm
NegSol wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:40 pm With core 0925 with Giana Sisters I somehow cannot make the character jump using my SNES Buffalo USB gamepad (pressing up). However, when opening the OSD and pressing UP I can see the character jump in the background normaly. Closing the OSD returns to not jumping. It feels like "up" is a pause button or interrupt freezing the screen. Really strange. I tested various formats and version of the game - all react the same. Anyone else get that? I have not tested other core versions yet. :shrug:
Tested with another MiST - same same.
Tested with DB9 only. Jumping work without a problem.
I guess it has to be the iBuffalo controller. But only Giana Sister shows this - all other thinks work just fine. - a bit strange... :shrug:
Maybe the jump button activates something else, too (joy_key_map setting in mist_ini)?
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

slingshot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:42 am Maybe the jump button activates something else, too (joy_key_map setting in mist_ini)?
That was my first thought also but:
joystick_remap=0583,2060,1,2,4,8,10,20,20,8,1400,2800,40,80 ; remap buttons for SNES buffalo controller
joy_key_map=20,2c

Up is just up.

Also it looks like the whole core freezes - just like a pause button. I have not seen anything like it before. Normally the ARM side should not affect the core this way. Also the debug log did not show anything unusual. I have not found another game yet where "up" behaves this way. When I press "up" the character starts to jump (maybe one-two frames) then everything freezes. Once I let got the game continues but the character moves back down - no jump occurs. Really strange.
DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DanyPPC »

But are you using a MiST or MiSTer?
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

NegSol wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:55 pm Also it looks like the whole core freezes - just like a pause button. I have not seen anything like it before. Normally the ARM side should not affect the core this way. Also the debug log did not show anything unusual. I have not found another game yet where "up" behaves this way. When I press "up" the character starts to jump (maybe one-two frames) then everything freezes. Once I let got the game continues but the character moves back down - no jump occurs. Really strange.
Is there a pause button in the game (either joy or keyboard)? Probably that's activated together with up for some reason.
Is this happen with the joystick emu (num lock, then use the arrow keys as a joystick)?
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

slingshot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:37 pm Is there a pause button in the game (either joy or keyboard)? Probably that's activated together with up for some reason.
Is this happen with the joystick emu (num lock, then use the arrow keys as a joystick)?
Yes - you are onto something.

I unplugged everything but a keyboard.

Then activating Num lock enables the joystick emu and the cursor keys work as expected --> up produced a solid jump and so on.

However pressing Num lock again not only disables the joystick emu but it also will result in pressing up cursor leads to the same freeze - even though the controller is not plugged in at all.

So I guess the up cursor on the keyboard (without Num lock) freezes the core or better the game.
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

I found the solution. Basically pressing Num Lock so that keyboard joystick emu is enabled. After this the iBuffalo SNES controller works normally. Thanks again for your help Slingshot! :mrgreen: I guess Giana Sisters has Up as a pause key - who knew? :lol:
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

As of course many of my wireless keyboard do not feature a Num Lock I looked at other possible solutions.

I noticed that I missed that the "joy_key_map=" ini parameter is additive. Therefore joy_key_map=8,52 was also always set for my C64 core also.

Anyhow - I wonder if one could set joy_key_map=8,52 for all cores under [mist] and then delete it for just the C64 core. I guess not.

Anyhow - solution besides enabling Joy Emu via Num Lock is always
commenting out like
;joy_key_map=8,52 ;and maybe adding
joy_key_map=8,52
joy_key_map=400,52 ;enable up (also OSD up) with left shoulder button

Maybe again this helps others with similar issues. I simply cannot see that Giana Sisters would be the only game suffering here so always use joy_key_map=8,52 cautiously :P

Thanks again slingshot for pushing my nose into the obvious configuration issue :cheers:
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

Ok - last solution (that I now use to mitigate my Giana issue)

I basically mapped Num Lock to the blue/x button for the C64 core;

[c64]
joy_key_map=100,47 ;47 - Scroll Lock (OSD) Mapped to blue button (X) - Toggle num lock without keyboard (Giana Sisters)
joystick_remap=0583,2060,1,2,4,8,10,20,100,8,1400,2800,40,80 ; remap buttons for SNES buffalo controller

this way I get it right with all other cores while also maintaining OSD up and down on the game pad. :mrgreen:
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

NegSol wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:33 pm Ok - last solution (that I now use to mitigate my Giana issue)

I basically mapped Num Lock to the blue/x button for the C64 core;

[c64]
joy_key_map=100,47 ;47 - Scroll Lock (OSD) Mapped to blue button (X) - Toggle num lock without keyboard (Giana Sisters)
joystick_remap=0583,2060,1,2,4,8,10,20,100,8,1400,2800,40,80 ; remap buttons for SNES buffalo controller

this way I get it right with all other cores while also maintaining OSD up and down on the game pad. :mrgreen:
Well...that's weird :D
I've noticed that you have '8' in your joystick_remap in a place of a button, which is 'up'. Might be the reason?
NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NegSol »

slingshot wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 pm I've noticed that you have '8' in your joystick_remap in a place of a button, which is 'up'. Might be the reason?
I know. Of course I tried different variants to make sure the 8 is not causing the problem. 8/up is nice on a button as the C64 tends to have games that force "up" in form of jumping or accelerating on you.
But the cause of the freeze is clearly the 52 (Cursor Up) - even when i just press up on a keyboard without controller connected it will freeze. So up is a pause key in Giana Sisters - as you correctly assumed earlier. :P

Return to “MiST”