MiST - FPGA ST

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiST - FPGA ST

Post by xc8 »

Some infro from my current tests with MiST: Till recommends 1GB SD card, but I used a 8GB microSDHC (on SD adapter) and works fine! :)
Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Post by Gryzor »

xc8 wrote:Some infro from my current tests with MiST: Till recommends 1GB SD card, but I used a 8GB microSDHC (on SD adapter) and works fine! :)
Got a nice fat 32GB one waiting here... :D
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

Got my MiST today, very nice job! Seems very stable, and I was able to play few games so far with no issues. I do have few questions though:

1. It looks like the OSD menu does not remember settings after reboot/power cycle. Is that something that is on a to-do list, or should I report it as a bug?
2. I'm in US, using US TOS, but the only video options I see are PAL 50Hz and PAL 56Hz. I assume that the setting is irrelevant, and internally MiST is using NTSC 60Hz, is that correct? In that case, any way to change the menu to reflect that?
3. A suggestion for the future - have the different computers (core/rom/disk images) sit in separate directories, so it's easy to work with multiple emulations.

Again, awesome job, and I'm looking forward to the future!

Polbit
m68k forever
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

polbit wrote: 1. It looks like the OSD menu does not remember settings after reboot/power cycle. Is that something that is on a to-do list, or should I report it as a bug?
That's actually next on the list.
polbit wrote: 2. I'm in US, using US TOS, but the only video options I see are PAL 50Hz and PAL 56Hz. I assume that the setting is irrelevant, and internally MiST is using NTSC 60Hz, is that correct? In that case, any way to change the menu to reflect that?
Yes, correct. That setting selects what happens with the PAL mode. if your TOS defaults to NTSC then you don't see any change unless e.g. you run software that switches into PAL mode.
polbit wrote: 3. A suggestion for the future - have the different computers (core/rom/disk images) sit in separate directories, so it's easy to work with multiple emulations.
That'll imho collide with point 1 a little bit and may be confusing to people. How exactly do you think this should be done from users perspective?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki
polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

That's actually next on the list.
Sounds good!
Yes, correct. That setting selects what happens with the PAL mode. if your TOS defaults to NTSC then you don't see any change unless e.g. you run software that switches into PAL mode.
Then any chance the the menu can say it is in NTSC mode?
That'll imho collide with point 1 a little bit and may be confusing to people. How exactly do you think this should be done from users perspective?
I see what you mean, but if you isolate all the emulated machines into their own folders, then it should work great. So for Atari ST, MiST should look for al files in folder AtariST, and the user can set the ROM name through the menu to something other than tos. Similarly, for Amiga MiST would look for folder named Amiga, and the menu would allow user to change file names, but within the folder. For any other new core, choose the folder name, and that's were MiST would look for the files. In addition, you could let the user select the actual name of the folder for the cores. That's just my idea, but I think it would make it cleaner in the end, especially if MiST ends up having more than ST and Amiga cores.

Polbit
m68k forever
Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Post by Gryzor »

Haven't received mine, but I have a question after reading the last two posts - is the directory requirement completely flat?
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

jcgamestoy
Atariator
Atariator

Post by jcgamestoy »

While i wait for my board to arrive another question...

Can this cable work with the UART SV3 4 pin connector?

http://www.adafruit.com/products/954

thanks
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

Gryzor wrote:Haven't received mine, but I have a question after reading the last two posts - is the directory requirement completely flat?
Sort of. Cores and harddisk images can be loaded from the root only, floopy images from any subdir as well. The MiST has inherited this limitation from the original Minimig. But this is only a software thing in the io controller. This can be fixed. But don't ask me when :-)
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

Then any chance the the menu can say it is in NTSC mode?
That's not what that menu entry is supposed to tell you. It tells you whether you'd get a 50 hz or 56 hz image if you were in PAL mode. This PAL-only related option is even useful if you are in NTSC mode (which isn't affected at all by this) since many screens don't support 50hz and you can adjust this setting while in 60hz ntsc mode and then change e.g. via a menu disk intro into the 50 or 56 hz pal mode you just selected with this menu entry,

The 56 hz mode is for compatibility with screens that don't support 50hz. But it makes some games run faster, music being played at a higher speed or may completely break a game. But most run fine with it.

I wonder how i should name that entry to make this a little easier to comprehend ...
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

jcgamestoy wrote: Can this cable work with the UART SV3 4 pin connector?

I am pretty sure it does. It even looks 100% like a noname cable i am using which i bought from amazon.

Even the meaning of the colors is the same as on my cable (which came without any documentation and i had to guess, haha). So the black gnd wire goes to the pin 1 (closest to the pcb border) and the white rx one goes to pin 4 (closest to the center of the pcb). red/green and the two center pins on the board stay unconnected.

You might connect the green tx pin but there's no use for it as the board currently doesn't expect any input on the serial port.

Please do not connect any power pin that may be present on such a cable (in this case the red one). This will shorten the boards 3.3V power supply with the one on that cable (the 5V rail of your PC). Feeding 5V into the 3.3V rail of the MIST board will very likely destroy it!!
Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Post by Gryzor »

MasterOfGizmo wrote:
Gryzor wrote:Haven't received mine, but I have a question after reading the last two posts - is the directory requirement completely flat?
Sort of. Cores and harddisk images can be loaded from the root only, floopy images from any subdir as well. The MiST has inherited this limitation from the original Minimig. But this is only a software thing in the io controller. This can be fixed. But don't ask me when :-)
Nah, that's good enough, it's not like you have hundreds of cores or HDD images lying around; floppy images are what's important here... :)

polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

I didn't realize we can use folders for disk images, that's definitely good enough, so forget what I said above :)
m68k forever
remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by remowilliams »

Received my MiST yesterday and I am very impressed with the production quality and the unit so far overall. :)

A couple of random questions
- for the ST core is there going to be an option to select less than 4MB?
- for the Amiga core is there a way to switch 'turbo' mode on and off?
- does HDDRIVER work with the MiST? tried to prepare an HD image on the MiST with it and it did not seem to be getting along well
Last edited by remowilliams on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Post by Gryzor »

remowilliams wrote:Received my MiST yesterday and I am very impressed with the production quality and the unit so far overall. :)

A couple of random questions
- for the ST core is there going to be an option to select less than 4MB? for the Amiga core?
- is there a way to switch 'turbo' mode on and off?
- does HDDRIVER work with the MiST? tried to prepare an HD image on the MiST with it and it did not seem to be getting along well
Turbo cannot be turned off AFAIK. I think this should be an option, though, won't it cause compatibility issues with timings-sensitive programs?

For the HDDriver, read the discussion in the MiST wiki issues page.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by remowilliams »

Gryzor wrote:Turbo cannot be turned off AFAIK. I think this should be an option, though, won't it cause compatibility issues with timings-sensitive programs?
I know the minimig does it on the fly without issue, hoping the same can be done for the MiST Amiga core.
Gryzor wrote:For the HDDriver, read the discussion in the MiST wiki issues page.
Yes was just browsing that and it seems there was success there. I'll have to give it another shot. I have v8.23 I believe.
remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by remowilliams »

After fiddling with it some more HDD8.23 will not work with a Steem prepared image, or preparation in the MiST. ICD65 utils will work with a Steem prepared image, but not with preparation in the MiST.
polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

I've been trying with HDDriver 8.47, unsuccessfully so far.
m68k forever
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

I'm trying to figure something out. I can't seem to find any info related to it...

I've been to the MIST web sites, and went through the entire message thread
here at Atari Forum, so if I missed this information, I apologise...

But...with the MIST setup and running, USB keyboard and mouse attached, can
you actually use Atari ST software? I mean other than game images. For example,
if I wanted to use QED, ST-Writer, Edith, NeoChrome, Degas, ImageCopy, etc,
could I install them and use them? Does productivity software like NVDI work?

I'm sincerely hoping that it's not just limited to game images.

Thanks!

PS I think mine is in - just haven't had a chance to pick it up from the Post Office.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by remowilliams »

DarkLord wrote:I'm sincerely hoping that it's not just limited to game images.
This may answer your question in part. :)

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Thanks!
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
johncarteronmars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiST - FPGA ST DATE and TIME

Post by johncarteronmars »

I found some pgms in the coding section
but still post any you have that are not listed there
I will start testing some of them right away and
follow up on this thread with the ones that may work if I find
some

orig request:

anyone out there have a small pgm or acc
to set the date and time on boot up when using MIST
I tried the one I wrote years ago and it works but
moments later the NIST goes back to the orignal date it had when I recd it
I tried AUTODATE and it does the same thing but at least it says
it cannot change the date/time
Broke out a couple of old books and typed up and compiled
SETTIME and SETDATE they also will change the date and time but moments later it
drops back to that original date
This also happens if I use the Control Panel CPX , I can change the date/time but
if I close the Panel and then open it back up it drops back again to
21:05 3/17/13
if you have any other acc or prg pls post so I can try them out
Last edited by johncarteronmars on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcgamestoy
Atariator
Atariator

Post by jcgamestoy »

MasterOfGizmo wrote:
jcgamestoy wrote: Can this cable work with the UART SV3 4 pin connector?

I am pretty sure it does. It even looks 100% like a noname cable i am using which i bought from amazon.

Even the meaning of the colors is the same as on my cable (which came without any documentation and i had to guess, haha). So the black gnd wire goes to the pin 1 (closest to the pcb border) and the white rx one goes to pin 4 (closest to the center of the pcb). red/green and the two center pins on the board stay unconnected.

You might connect the green tx pin but there's no use for it as the board currently doesn't expect any input on the serial port.

Please do not connect any power pin that may be present on such a cable (in this case the red one). This will shorten the boards 3.3V power supply with the one on that cable (the 5V rail of your PC). Feeding 5V into the 3.3V rail of the MIST board will very likely destroy it!!
I know the red wire is for power the raspberry pi. Thanks :wink:
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiST - FPGA ST DATE and TIME

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

johncarteronmars wrote:SETTIME and SETDATE they also will change the date and time but moments later it
drops back to that original date
Oh, that's probably not solvable by just choosing the correct tool. I just noticed that my ikbd implementation does not advance its time. And TOS reads the time from the ikbd every now and then ... please file a bug ...
johncarteronmars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiST - FPGA ST Impressed

Post by johncarteronmars »

I want to thank Til and Lotharek for this device it is very well done both on the software and hardware sides.
Will there be problems, maybe, but it is already filling a spot in my computer area, and doing well.
The extensive documentation and info are greatly appreciated as I was worried it would be an ON YOUR OWN
deal. If you didn't or haven't ordered one of these you may regret it in the future. My only issues are getting
the midi board, which will happen, and the date time settings, Til , I am sure will be working on this when he can.
I have already received more support for the MIST than corporate ATARI ever gave for the ST.
THANKS TIL , LOTHAREK, for the MIST.
swapd0
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by swapd0 »

Anyone have tried with a ps2 keyboard using a ps2 to usb connector? I've tried with two keyboards and none of them work.

Return to “MiST”