Ideal Atari Sequencer

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
schmudde
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 am
Contact:

Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by schmudde »

Hey everyone,

I have a MiST box and I’m getting back into Atari sequencing. I started out on Cubase years ago and I’ve just become a little disenchanted with what’s happening with MIDI sequencing on the Mac. I’d like to go back to the basics. I chose Atari because the “basics” are really powerful.

I tested a bunch of software on the MiST to see what works. So far, I’ve looked at Hybrid Arts’ “Edit Track,” Dr T.’s “Omega II” and “Tiger Cub,” Hollis Research’s “Trackman,” Roni Music’s “Sweet Sixteen,” and the Muzys Team’s “Intuitive Music System.”

Big thanks to *Tim’s Atari MIDI World* for getting a lot of this up-and-running.

Some of these are so radically different from Logic X, I’m finding it pretty time consuming as I try to dive in. Worse yet, manuals are hard to come by.

Can anybody offer a little guidance on where it’s best for me to spend my time? The most important feature of a sequencer for me is a way to see multiple melodic lines on the screen at the same time. I often work contrapuntally.

Thanks,
Schmüdde
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

For me personally, and this has been well versed, I would stick with either:

1. Notator SL3.21 or Notator Logic, of course these gave birth to Logic X:
Image

2. Cubase v3.1 or Cubase Score (Cubase is simply my preference, however others prefer 'Notator'):
Image

3. Often forgotten about, Breakthru 1 or 2. It is quite beautiful, however perhaps a little less versatile than the aforementioned, although perfectly capable:
Image

Your choice are cracked versions, or originals. I personally prefer originals for stability, however you will likely have to go cracked running them on a MiST with the lack of a cartridge port for dongle based programmes.

Atari Music Network is invaluable. Newly hosted: http://atarimusic.exxoshost.co.uk/
Last edited by Atari74user on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by dbsys »

Atari74user wrote: Your choice are cracked versions, or originals. I personally prefer originals for stability.
Originals of Logic or Cubase will not work on MiST, since it has no ROM port to attach the necessary dongles. :(
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

Heheh, I was just editing as you posted :D
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by dbsys »

Atari74user wrote:Heheh, I was just editing as you posted :D
Yeah, it´s really a pitty MiST does not have the ROM port.
Last edited by dbsys on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

Beautiful machine, but yes a pity, all of those nice MIDI expanders etc... that cannot be connected too which are really useful!
:cheers:
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by dbsys »

Atari74user wrote:Beautiful machine, but yes a pity, all of those nice MIDI expanders etc... that cannot be connected too which are really useful!
:cheers:

:(


Oh, I forgot to ask, where can I get Breakthru from? I would like to check it out. I never have heard of it before you mentioned it.
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

Not sure, I'll have a look. I have the original back at home, but I am not home presently. In the meantime, there is Sequencer One here, which is the forerunner to Breakthru: http://www.emuparadise.me/Atari_ST_ROMs ... %29/118975
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

See this topic: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16390

Also, demo found here: http://www.stformat.com/stf79/index.html

Ahah, full version found over at Atari Warez:
Brkthru.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by dbsys »

Thanks! I will take a look.
User avatar
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Eero Tamminen »

I though Breakthrough looked familiar. I have fond memories of using Sequencer One which came on one of the ST Format coverdisks. It was easy to use and enough for my modest sequencing needs.
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

Eero Tamminen wrote:I though Breakthrough looked familiar. I have fond memories of using Sequencer One which came on one of the ST Format coverdisks. It was easy to use and enough for my modest sequencing needs.
Indeed, I think they are nice sequencers. Breakthru happened to be my first sequencer. Actually I lie, I dabbled with Hybrid Arts EZ-Track, but didn't much like that. With Breaktkthru you can also play samples alongside your MIDI tracks, it was a nice feature at the time.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
User avatar
schmudde
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 am
Contact:

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by schmudde »

Atari74user wrote:For me personally, and this has been well versed, I would stick with either:

1. Notator SL3.21 or Notator Logic, of course these gave birth to Logic X
2. Cubase v3.1 or Cubase Score (Cubase is simply my preference, however others prefer 'Notator')
3. Often forgotten about, Breakthru 1 or 2. It is quite beautiful, however perhaps a little less versatile than the aforementioned, although perfectly capable
Atari Music Network is invaluable. Newly hosted: http://atarimusic.exxoshost.co.uk/
I really appreciate your response! I'm having trouble getting Cubase Lite working on the MiST (it can't find the MROS files) but I know it's possible. Same with cracked Cubase 2 (though I don't have that yet). I don't think anyone has gotten Notator working on MiST as of yet.

I believe you that the topic has been oft-discussed, but I'm a little surprised Dr. T's didn't make your list. I'm very interested in learning Omega and breaking away a bit from the Steinberg track view, but the paradigm shift seems a little steep to undertake without a manual or an active user community. I eMailed Emile Tobenfeld hoping to buy a manual (Word document), but no response. Probably not worth his time anymore.

Either way, it's good to hear from an expert what software has remained de facto in 2015.

Thanks for suggesting Breakthru. I'll give it a shot. If it works on MiST, I'll add it to the list of MiST-compatible MIDI software I've compiled. Even if I end up using Cubase, this endeavor will yield a list of MiST-compatible sequencing software that others might find useful. Using a MiST box with a lightweight 15' LCD has become a nice little rig in my NYC apartment and I'm really liking it.

User avatar
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Atari74user wrote:Indeed, I think they are nice sequencers. Breakthru happened to be my first sequencer. Actually I lie, I dabbled with Hybrid Arts EZ-Track, but didn't much like that. With Breaktkthru you can also play samples alongside your MIDI tracks, it was a nice feature at the time.
Sequencer One could also play samples.

Which reminds me that in college I sampled my room-mate's snoring. For some reason he didn't appreciate me playing Xmas carols with that sound [1]... My other room-mate thought that funny though, at least for a short while. ;-)

[1] I didn't use Sequencer One for this, the sampling program had MIDI support, not polyphony though.
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

schmudde wrote: I really appreciate your response! I'm having trouble getting Cubase Lite working on the MiST (it can't find the MROS files) but I know it's possible. Same with cracked Cubase 2 (though I don't have that yet). I don't think anyone has gotten Notator working on MiST as of yet.

I believe you that the topic has been oft-discussed, but I'm a little surprised Dr. T's didn't make your list. I'm very interested in learning Omega and breaking away a bit from the Steinberg track view, but the paradigm shift seems a little steep to undertake without a manual or an active user community. I eMailed Emile Tobenfeld hoping to buy a manual (Word document), but no response. Probably not worth his time anymore.

Either way, it's good to hear from an expert what software has remained de facto in 2015.

Thanks for suggesting Breakthru. I'll give it a shot. If it works on MiST, I'll add it to the list of MiST-compatible MIDI software I've compiled. Even if I end up using Cubase, this endeavor will yield a list of MiST-compatible sequencing software that others might find useful. Using a MiST box with a lightweight 15' LCD has become a nice little rig in my NYC apartment and I'm really liking it./ü
I have contemplated a MiST, but I can't really justify it, but I imagine it is a nice versatile addition. Being able to save desk space as you say is always a good thing!

The only reason other sequencers are not mentioned is because I havent used them, not necessarily because they are poor. Similarly, the only reason I prefer Cubase is because this is what I started using post Breakthru which I liked. Notator came in retrospect. I suspect if I started using Notator first I may not have the same opinion. That said, both Breakthru and Cubase's UI agrees with me, they just immediately felt nice to use.

As for MROS, you may find some help here: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=533.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
User avatar
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by Atari74user »

Eero Tamminen wrote:Sequencer One could also play samples.

Which reminds me that in college I sampled my room-mate's snoring. For some reason he didn't appreciate me playing Xmas carols with that sound [1]... My other room-mate thought that funny though, at least for a short while. ;-)

[1] I didn't use Sequencer One for this, the sampling program had MIDI support, not polyphony though.
Well why wouldn't you! I had a similar trick played on me, but with my mate scaring the sh** out of me with his sampling skills on his Yamaha PSS 780. Care free and happy days! :)

All of this talk about Sequencer One and Breakthru has reminded me how much I enjoyed those programmes.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
kola
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:19 am

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by kola »

Do not underestimate Passports Master tracks Pro. You can get the original version absolutely free and legit. No crack. Passport kindly offered this abandonware for free unlike steinberg.

Its a cubase eater!
Highly experimental music for space robots! All made on an ST with not a damned PC in site - yeeeey
molofaha
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:51 am

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by molofaha »

His one criteria, though, was
schmudde wrote:a way to see multiple melodic lines on the screen at the same time. I often work contrapuntally.
which I interpreted as being able to see the notes of multiple tracks at the same time -- can Master Tracks Pro do that? If so, I can't figure out how.
User avatar
schmudde
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 am
Contact:

Re: Ideal Atari Sequencer

Post by schmudde »

kola wrote:Do not underestimate Passports Master tracks Pro. You can get the original version absolutely free and legit. No crack. Passport kindly offered this abandonware for free unlike steinberg.

Its a cubase eater!
As molofaha kindly pointed out, is it possible to see the notes of multiple tracks at the same time?

Outside of the drums, all this was written and arranged on MiST using Cubase Lite and external synths. I definitely needed to see all 4 tracks at the same time:



/Schmüdde
Post Reply

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”