CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

MCal27
Atariator
Atariator

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Post by MCal27 »

Registered for two... Can't wait?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey, Hey!! It's a party... I want to party too... don't ask me about G4's tonight please!!!
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

Is there any way to access SD card via e.g. Samba from Windows?
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
tin
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by tin »

Cyprian wrote:Is there any way to access SD card via e.g. Samba from Windows?
Currently not, no.

An imperfect workaround might be using the remote control (with screencast if PC and ST aren't next to each other) for now.
k2500x
Atari User
Atari User

Post by k2500x »

Is there any reason to still buy an Ultrasatan now that CosmosEx is out?
I'm looking online and it seems that they both cost about the same for external.

Maybe Ultrasatan is a bit simpler to use with less features, and more mature firmware.
Anything I'm missing?
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

k2500x wrote:Is there any reason to still buy an Ultrasatan now that CosmosEx is out?
I'm looking online and it seems that they both cost about the same for external.
I would say that it depends on your needs - if you don't need special features of CosmosEx and just want the SD card as HDD replacement, and you don't want to wait 2 months for manufacturing a batch, then you know what to do ;)
k2500x wrote:Maybe Ultrasatan is a bit simpler to use with less features, and more mature firmware.
I wouldn't say it has more mature firmware as at the beginning of some parts of CosmosEx device I just took the UltraSatan sources and integrated them in ;)
SoundMan
Atarian
Atarian

Post by SoundMan »

Coun me in for a SCSI/Falcon version :)
DyLucke
Atari User
Atari User

Post by DyLucke »

I've been away for some days. Any chance to get a new CosmosEx unit, or still fixing issues?
Cheers!!!
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

DyLucke wrote:I've been away for some days. Any chance to get a new CosmosEx unit, or still fixing issues?
The new devices will be available at the end of february / start of march, currently they are in production (components bought, PCB being manufactured, and so on).
DyLucke
Atari User
Atari User

Post by DyLucke »

Roger that Jookie.

I'll ask again around that date.
Meanwhile i'll be keeping an eye on your improvements thread.
YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB. THANK YOU.
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

I know you are very busy at the moment ... but I wonder if you were considering in you new CosmosEx batches to use the new Raspberry Pi 2 Mobel B V1.1
This new model is like the RPi B+ same layout and same extended 40 pins GPIO
The RPi B has different layout and GPIO connector is is getting more difficult to find. The new layout GPIO used by RPI 2 B and RPi B+ seems to be the way to go?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

DrCoolZic wrote:but I wonder if you were considering in you new CosmosEx batches to use the new Raspberry Pi 2 Mobel B V1.1
I personally would go through the path of lowest resistance - use that model which will work and requires least changes. I'm not sure if the newest model is software compatible with the previous versions, but I guess some people will consider getting that instead of the current version, so there might be something needed to be done to make it work also with that... But let's see how this all goes... (so, if I'll be able and people will want that, I will try to do it).
AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by AdamK »

It seems That Raspi 2 GPIO pins are fully backwards compatible. There are some changes in addressing, so access libraries will need to be recompiled. CPU seems to be backwards compatible, so there is only library problem, and this can be easily resolved.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

AdamK wrote:It seems That Raspi 2 GPIO pins are fully backwards compatible. There are some changes in addressing, so access libraries will need to be recompiled. CPU seems to be backwards compatible, so there is only library problem, and this can be easily resolved.
This complicates things, too ;)
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

Also the board layout is not the same so the CosmosEx case would need to be changed.
One immediate benefit is 4 USB :)
STNooB
Atari User
Atari User

Post by STNooB »

I'd like to put a vote in for the newer version 2 B.

Hopefully there are plans to get the Cosmosex working with it.

I'd even wait on my order until a whole new kit was was made for it.
WolfMax
Atariator
Atariator

Post by WolfMax »

Hi

Registered for 1.

Any news on the next batch production?

Also, did not see any PayPal button to make payment.
Cheers

Colin

"Anyone wanting to be a Politian, should automatically be excluded from being one!"
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

WolfMax wrote:Any news on the next batch production?
Also, did not see any PayPal button to make payment.
The boards are now being soldered. Then I need few days for burning firmware, then HW testing, mounting to metal boxes, and then the sale can start again.

The paypal button is not there, because I can't sell anything until I have them already ready to be sent - the PayPal rules say something about maximum of a week or so between received payment and sending the package, and as I don't want to risk blocking / freezing of my PayPal account like few years ago, I can't take payments beforehand - you have to wait a while until they are ready to be shipped.
WolfMax
Atariator
Atariator

Post by WolfMax »

Thanks for the reply Jookie.

I look forward to seeing the button appear in due course.
Cheers

Colin

"Anyone wanting to be a Politian, should automatically be excluded from being one!"
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

I've just sent the status update mail about the current batch, but as it will (as always) get blocked by spam filters, I'm posting the mail content also here. Feel free to tell a friend ;)

-------------
Hello,

you have received this e-mail because you have registered for Cosmos Ex device for Atari ST. If this is not the case, or you lost your interest in getting Cosmos Ex device, just reply to this e-mail with something like 'unsubscribe' and I will delete you from database and won't bother you anymore.

So... What's new with Cosmos Ex device for Atari ST?

- the device electronics has been manufactured and it's at my home, but I need a week or so to burn the firmware, test the devices, mount them to metal cases

- I'm still waiting for these metal spacers:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/tfm-m2.5x1 ... 212/212x12#
-- they should arrive between 2015-03-09 - 2015-03-15, it's the last (mechanical) part that is needed to finalise the device

- this batch of devices is ACSI only - good for ST & TT, not usable with Falcon (SCSI version is just in development in these moments)

- TOS 1.00 is not supported - get an TOS update before buying, or don't buy the device

- currently I have around 20 pieces of Raspberry Pi, model B, rev. 2 in stock, so all the devices, which will be bought with Raspberry Pi from me, will have this model, until I run out of those, and then I will buy probably model B+ -- I'm not completely sure which model I will be able to buy in few weeks, as there have been some outages of Raspberry Pi's during last summer... And things are getting more complicated as they keep rolling out new hardware versions, and they stop selling older versions, and so on.

- you can buy Cosmos Ex device without Raspberry Pi, but you should specify which Raspberry Pi model (model B rev. 2 - OR - model B+) you want to install, so I can include the propper internal cable and prepare the metal spacers at the right position in metal case

- some of you wanted to buy the device without Raspberry Pi, because you can buy it cheaper than what I have - I have no problem with that, and I don't have any profit on selling any Raspberry Pi devices, so it's actually even better for me if you buy it without the Raspberry Pi, because I don't have to buy them then (and thus spend a lot of money on them ;) ), and even finishing the device then takes less time

- Raspberry Pi 2.0 is currently not supported. Yes, it does offer some extra performance compared to the current Raspberry Pi, but you don't need it in the device - the current processing power is enough. You won't be able to run fill Raspbian linux there anyway, so even with more performance you will have no way of using that.

- you CAN'T BUY the device in this moment - give it 1 or 2 weeks, until they are fully assembled in their cases (remember those metal spacers mentioned above?), so no 'PAY' button is not visible. You will receive another e-mail when this will happen.

Now... Go to the buyer's section:
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/buy/
- update your wanted device count
- if you plan to get one without Raspberry Pi, make sure that you select the propper Raspberry Pi model in the order - I need to know which model you will use, so I can prepare the metal case for that
- then just wait... or ask your friends if they received this mail - I'm having issues with spam filters as I didn't think of spam filter issues when I named this device with a funny word ;)

Regards,
Jookie
AndrewH7
Atarian
Atarian

Post by AndrewH7 »

As I'm after fixed disc for mine Atari STe [30mega stopped working & gave it to some 1 who wanted it to fix], I'd like a CosmosEX. On web-site &al., some 1 said that Raspberry Pi = better than Atari ST, & so there = no point using as fixed disc interface. Could I + my Rasp Pi model A, & just buy the extra parts?
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

AndrewH7 wrote:As I'm after fixed disc for mine Atari STe [30mega stopped working & gave it to some 1 who wanted it to fix], I'd like a CosmosEX. On web-site &al., some 1 said that Raspberry Pi = better than Atari ST, & so there = no point using as fixed disc interface. Could I + my Rasp Pi model A, & just buy the extra parts?
Could you, please rephrase your question? :) You know, english is not my native language, so I have problems guessing the content in cases like this one...
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by 499 »

Jookie wrote:
AndrewH7 wrote:As I'm after fixed disc for mine Atari STe [30mega stopped working & gave it to some 1 who wanted it to fix], I'd like a CosmosEX. On web-site &al., some 1 said that Raspberry Pi = better than Atari ST, & so there = no point using as fixed disc interface. Could I + my Rasp Pi model A, & just buy the extra parts?
Could you, please rephrase your question? :) You know, english is not my native language, so I have problems guessing the content in cases like this one...
I think he want's to know if he can buy a CosmosEx without a Raspberry Pi, and install his Raspberry Pi model A into it.
DyLucke
Atari User
Atari User

Post by DyLucke »

Damnit. It seems that after the changes done on your homepage my order seems to be lost.
Quite odd that my registration wasn't lost either. I had to place an order for one unit again.

I hope there will be enough units.

:roll:
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

DyLucke wrote:Damnit. It seems that after the changes done on your homepage my order seems to be lost.
Quite odd that my registration wasn't lost either. I had to place an order for one unit again.
This was intentional clear of orders, but not users - after the 1st batch the system had all the already processed orders in it, and also containing orders of people who lost their interest, so I cleared that to make sure I get a more realistic number of devices ordered, when people who still have interest will fill their order once again ;) (I know, it's silly). Also the devices which you can order have changed, because in case one buys a device without the Pi, I need to know which Pi he will install...
DyLucke wrote:I hope there will be enough units. :roll:
In case of further interest there will be another batch, so I wouldn't worry much about it... Worst case would be creating a smaller batch for higher price :? (components price is dependent on quantity of order)
DyLucke
Atari User
Atari User

Post by DyLucke »

How could i know if i can get one unit from this batch?
Just in case.

Cheers

Return to “CosmosEx”