CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

centipus
Atarian
Atarian

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Post by centipus »

Jookie wrote:A) is the 4 wire IKBD cable plugged in the right way? See this for the cable orientation: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=607
yes
Jookie wrote:B) does the USB on your RPi B+ work at all? If you plug in the USB mouse or keyboard and you don't see any lights on the devices being on (e.g. the sensor light on the bottom of the mouse doesn't shine, or Num Lock LED on keyboard after pressing the Num Lock key doesn't turn off and on), the USB doesn't work... This happens on some RPi B+ devices, and it's because of some things changed on that device. You need to take out the SD card, download this image: http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/rpi-ce-run-real.zip
...unzip it, write it to the SD card, put everything back together and see if that did help - if the USB devices have something lit up.
Working on it right now.....No, the USB does not appear to function here. Plugging in a mouse doesn't light the mouse up. 2 questions:

1.How on earth does one get the microSD card out of the Pi? Tweezers won't provide the necessary grip and needle nose pliers won't fit...

2. Is the use of the USB Image tool required or can i just unzip the file you provided onto the microSD card ?

thanks for all the help Jookie!
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

centipus wrote:1.How on earth does one get the microSD card out of the Pi? Tweezers won't provide the necessary grip and needle nose pliers won't fit...
The Micro SD card slot is a push-push, and you should see part of the card sticking out of RPi, so either you use some needle to push it inside a bit to release it (and then just shake the device in the hand to let it fall out, or something), or you could remove the CosmosEx PCB (2 screws, 3 spacing pillars) and then take the card out...
centipus wrote:2. Is the use of the USB Image tool required or can i just unzip the file you provided onto the microSD card ?
Yes, some tool for writing the image is needed (e.g. the mentioned USB Image Tool). Just unziping won't work.

Jookie
centipus
Atarian
Atarian

Post by centipus »

That fixed it Jookie. Keyboard and mouse working now. Thanks! :cheers:
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

centipus wrote:That fixed it Jookie. Keyboard and mouse working now. Thanks! :cheers:
Wonderful ;)
centipus
Atarian
Atarian

Post by centipus »

OK since the installation of the new Raspberry Pi image.... this thing has transformed into a serious expansion of my Atari cosmology!

Just for other newb morons like me, sweating every step of this process.....as far as the Rpi miniSD card extraction goes....

When you try to reinsert the card, it tends to slip left and right and all around with just a single tweezer... needle nose pliers are too thick to use, at least for me.....get tweezers ....grab two!.... get *two* tweezers and use *two* hands.. i purchased this "special" tweeeeeezer at the local hardware store and it had superior grip...... did the job in well in combination with the other tweezer....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScreamingJoeBlade
Atariator
Atariator

CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Post by ScreamingJoeBlade »

Since I received my CE my windows XP machine (which I was using to format and copy programs onto floppies) has died. Before I was able to transfer ICD onto a floppy! I've tried USB image program to put it on an SD card with the idea of getting the card to boot up then copy file to floppy and then reformat the SD card. But I can't seem to get the partition to boot up... Is there anyone in the Toronto area that has a floppy with ICD on it that I can borrow / trade?
I guess I could try to use a shared folder... But I haven't figured out how to do that with my Windows 7 or 8.1 machines...
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

ScreamingJoeBlade wrote:Before I was able to transfer ICD onto a floppy! I've tried USB image program to put it on an SD card with the idea of getting the card to boot up then copy file to floppy and then reformat the SD card. But I can't seem to get the partition to boot up...
Did you try this ICD Pro image and this short manual?
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=332
ScreamingJoeBlade wrote:I guess I could try to use a shared folder... But I haven't figured out how to do that with my Windows 7 or 8.1 machines...
Share some folder from that machine, use simple sharing, allow public access for everyone on that folder (not safe, but you won't have some critical stuff in that folder, right?). Then connect CE to network, assign ACSI ID to CE_DD (to make the CE_DD driver get loaded on start), configure shared drive (IP of your machine, folder name), assign drive letter to the shared drive (e.g. 'N' like network drive), save config, restart your ST and you should see CE_DD driver loaded and you should be able to access drive 'N' from desktop.
anachore
Atarian
Atarian

Post by anachore »

I ordered one, a week ago.
I long to get it and work with!
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

anachore wrote:I ordered one, a week ago.
I long to get it and work with!
If it was one week ago, then it should be on its way to you. I can't tell which one are you based on your nick name, so I can't tell precisely, but if you PM me, I can send you your tracking number.
ScreamingJoeBlade
Atariator
Atariator

Jookie wrote: Did you try this ICD Pro image and this short manual?
Yes. I've tried transferring the image of the ICD Pro SD to 2 different SD cards. But they don't seem to show up.
ScreamingJoeBlade
Atariator
Atariator

Jookie wrote: Did you try this ICD Pro image and this short manual?
Yes. I've tried transferring the image of the ICD Pro SD to 2 different SD cards. But they don't seem to show up.
ScreamingJoeBlade
Atariator
Atariator

Jookie wrote:
Share some folder from that machine, use simple sharing, allow public access for everyone on that folder (not safe, but you won't have some critical stuff in that folder, right?). Then connect CE to network, assign ACSI ID to CE_DD (to make the CE_DD driver get loaded on start), configure shared drive (IP of your machine, folder name), assign drive letter to the shared drive (e.g. 'N' like network drive), save config, restart your ST and you should see CE_DD driver loaded and you should be able to access drive 'N' from desktop.
Ok... So I've shared a file on my C: drive on my Win 8.1 machine. Selected it to share with everyone. Noted its path and typed that in folder address field. Looked up my IPv4 address and entered that as the server IP address. Saved and restarted. Highlighted a floppy icon. Selected "install drive" chose N as the drive letter. It installs the icon. Open the drive icon and get mount error.
Trued retyping the folder location several ways but it doesn't mount....
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

ScreamingJoeBlade wrote:Ok... So I've shared a file on my C: drive on my Win 8.1 machine. Selected it to share with everyone. Noted its path and typed that in folder address field. Looked up my IPv4 address and entered that as the server IP address. Saved and restarted. Highlighted a floppy icon. Selected "install drive" chose N as the drive letter. It installs the icon. Open the drive icon and get mount error.
Trued retyping the folder location several ways but it doesn't mount....
First thing - maybe a separate thread for solving this issue would be better ;)

To get the sharing working with Win 7 / 8 is being a bit of a hassle (I've heard, as I'm running XP on my machines at home). If I remember correctly, someone with Win 7 mentioned (somewhere) that's not possible to get it working without username and password, so you might want to try that. If you can see the error log messages, you can google for similar issues.

The other option is to get some simple NFS server for Windows (e.g. Hanewin NFS server - it's a small app, easy configuration, takes only few MB of space) and try NFS instead of Windows sharing (cifs / samba). I'm running my devices on two places (at home and at work ;) ), and in one place I can't get Windows sharing to work, and on the other I can't get NFS to work, so I'm using the opposite to the non-working in those places... I have no idea why it's like that.
hellraiser
Atariator
Atariator

Post by hellraiser »

Maybe this has been asked and answered before, but can a Raspberry PI 2 mod B be used and would it have some added benefits over the Raspberry PI mod B?

And if the CosmosEx is bought without a Raspberry does it still includes the SD card with the system files on it?
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

hellraiser wrote:Maybe this has been asked and answered before, but can a Raspberry PI 2 mod B be used and would it have some added benefits over the Raspberry PI mod B?
The RPi 2 is currently not supported as it would need a newer version of kernel, but you can use RPi 1 B+, which has also 4 USB ports like RPi2, and as there is benefit to using the RPi2, you won't loose / gain anything.
hellraiser wrote:And if the CosmosEx is bought without a Raspberry does it still includes the SD card with the system files on it?
Of course. The package without RPi contains the SD card with the system, the needed screws to mount RPi and the correct interconnection cable (depending on which model of RPi you want to install).
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

My CosmosEx has been put into storage for a while due to an imminent new arrival in our home. (My office has been converted into a nursery)

Is there anyway I can automatically/manually download all future updates to my PC? Just in case the online update mechanism goes offline?

Will this file http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/update/ce_update.zip always contain the latest updates?

How can I find out about new updates? Is there a mailing list I can subscribe to?
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

alexh wrote:Is there anyway I can automatically/manually download all future updates to my PC? Just in case the online update mechanism goes offline?

Will this file http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/update/ce_update.zip always contain the latest updates?

How can I find out about new updates? Is there a mailing list I can subscribe to?
Yes, that file should be always the latest update. There is no mailing list, anyone (who has the device connected to internet) can check the config tool and see if there's something newer on server, or... you can watch the 'updates' thread here, or the 'updates' sub-page on CosmosEx page... You can always download the current ce_update.zip and possibly create a local archive of list of updates ;)
adlerhn
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by adlerhn »

nativ wrote:
jcarvalho wrote:I will line up for one complete if it fits inside an Atari STE 1040 and works with "bad dma chip" Cant find nobody that sells a good one to me :(
It's a Myth! there is not a bad DMA, apparently some other 'fixable' issue. search on here! Exxos is the fountain of knowledge
Does it mean that the CosmosEx workarounds the issues with the "bad DMA" chip in the STE? Can all the functionality be used (floppy emulator, hard disk).
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

adlerhn wrote:Does it mean that the CosmosEx workarounds the issues with the "bad DMA" chip in the STE? Can all the functionality be used (floppy emulator, hard disk).
No, you still have to fix your STE first - by soldering some extra capacitors (as suggested by exxos), and if that doesn't help, then by replacing the DMA chip.
adlerhn
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by adlerhn »

Jookie wrote:
adlerhn wrote:Does it mean that the CosmosEx workarounds the issues with the "bad DMA" chip in the STE? Can all the functionality be used (floppy emulator, hard disk).
No, you still have to fix your STE first - by soldering some extra capacitors (as suggested by exxos), and if that doesn't help, then by replacing the DMA chip.
Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: the updated URL of the information by exxos seems to be http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/DMAfix/index.htm
stevenclements
Atarian
Atarian

Post by stevenclements »

Jookie wrote:Greetings to all Atari fellows!

I'm pleased to announce a new device for your Atari ST called CosmosEx, see this brief introduction:
http://youtu.be/iKSLluG5ErE

More device details can be found here:
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex
Stuff will be added there when there will be something more to share (e.g. device in usage).

If you're interested in the device and you might consider buying it in the april or later, register here to stay updated:
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/register

The estimated price is 65 Euros without Raspberry Pi, or 103 Euros with Raspberry Pi.

Jookie

Jookie I'm so excited for this.
Do you have a waitlist for the one's to be released in Oct? If so put me down for one, can I pre pay to ensure one of them will be mine?

:cheers:
Thanks
Steven
sunmachine
Atarian
Atarian

Post by sunmachine »

stevenclements wrote:Jookie I'm so excited for this.
Do you have a waitlist for the one's to be released in Oct? If so put me down for one, can I pre pay to ensure one of them will be mine?
Yeah, a huge thanks for doing this, Jookie!
Hope to get one in October, too! :)
stevenclements
Atarian
Atarian

Post by stevenclements »

centipus wrote:OK since the installation of the new Raspberry Pi image.... this thing has transformed into a serious expansion of my Atari cosmology!

Just for other newb morons like me, sweating every step of this process.....as far as the Rpi miniSD card extraction goes....

When you try to reinsert the card, it tends to slip left and right and all around with just a single tweezer... needle nose pliers are too thick to use, at least for me.....get tweezers ....grab two!.... get *two* tweezers and use *two* hands.. i purchased this "special" tweeeeeezer at the local hardware store and it had superior grip...... did the job in well in combination with the other tweezer....
So the Raspberry Pi requires the miniSD to run... and there's the outside port for you SD card for files. Am I correct?

newb here for sure :mrgreen:
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

stevenclements wrote:So the Raspberry Pi requires the miniSD to run... and there's the outside port for you SD card for files. Am I correct?
Yes... Internal micro SD (for B+) / SD (for B) card is needed for linux booting and loading the main app. The external SD card is used as storage for your Atari as a hard drive.

The manufacturing is in the progress, it should be available in 3 weeks (end of october).
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

There have been some questions about CosmosEx device - status, features, and so on... So I made a Q&A page, link at the bottom of this post. Please post all your questions as a reply here, and I will answer them on that Q&A page, so people are able to read it even if this post (and replies) disappear.
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=634

Return to “CosmosEx”