Illegal Operation when drag and drop from share

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Tk
Atari User
Atari User

Illegal Operation when drag and drop from share

Post by Tk »

Hi All

I've recently been putting some effort into getting my Falcon to a state I can play with it. I have a v2 CosmosEX which I was using internally at first but have moved it to external due to suspected power issues using the internal PSU and a rPI 3.

So what I got done is:

1. Got the Falcon re-capped
2. Had the falcon stability mod fitted
3. Got the nvram chip removed in favour of a replacement that uses a cell battery

The Falcon itself is working well, NVRAM is holding its settings, I have a CF IDE interface that boots with PPs Falcon IDE driver (C, D, and E partitions), and the CosmosEX is plugged in via the SCSI ribbon to the Falcon. I'm powering the CE with a 2.4A USB adaptor.

Essentially I'm going for a triple boot system (just using the PP driver to press a different boot drive for 3 environments).

(C) drive boot: A full on Falcon desktop environment, that boots MagiC and NVDI, and probably Ease/Blowup030 as well once I get that far. This mode doesn't work with the CE's network share drive or translated USB options, which is my main method of getting new stuff onto the Falcon.

(D) drive boot: This is everything stripped away and PP's driver loaded high so I can try to run games (either from PPs images or the virtual floppy TTP system)

(E) drive boot: This is an acceptable desktop environment for me to transfer files from network share or USB from the CE. I just use NVDI 5.03 and the CE_DD.prg programs in the auto folder.

I've updated the CE with RealLarry's Debian Buster image, as that seems to be the latest OS I can find for my PI3. The CE conf tool shows the following:

Main App 2021-02-03
Franz 2019-07-09
Hans 2017-04-13
Xilinx 2016-11-30

Now when I boot into the CE_DD friendly environment I can copy files from a USB stick ok. I've tried with quite a lot of files in one go and it didn't fail, although at times it does seem to pause for a long time doing nothing but then continues.

However when I use the shared drive to my PC (SMB share), either over WIFI or eth0, the connection works fine and I can browse around fine, but when I select a big folder to copy to the internal IDE drive and drag and drop it, it will come up with "Illegal Operation" either at the start or part way through copying, and the CE will lockup with the SCSI light solidly on (sometimes all the lights come on, ie the floppy ones too). I have to hard reset the CE and Falcon and fall back to USB copies.

It seems there isn't much in the way of active updates for this device anymore (Jookie's page shows older versions of the apps/drivers than I'm running), and I don't think the ce_update.sh script in the /ce/ folder of the Pi is really setup to work with this image.

I'd really like to solve this last obstacle so I can reliably copy stuff over the network for maximum ease of use. Does anyone know of why this lockup of the CE happens during network file copies? Do I need anything in particular in the AUTO folder to help smooth this operation (like folderxxx or cachexxx etc?). My Atari days are so far behind me I've forgotten most of what I used to know (at one time I had a TT with 32MB TT RAM, 10MB ST RAM and a Matrix TC card that ran 1280x960 in 256 colours and was fantastic under MagiC and Ease).

Is the CE device pretty much end of life in terms of support and development? It's taken me days to get this far piecing together advice from this forum mostly.

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

ps. I also have a paid up version of HD Driver 10.18 but I'm not using it in favour of the PP gaming features I hope to use.
GamebaseST & DemobaseST Team
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Illegal Operation when drag and drop from share

Post by mikro »

First I would try the same with HD Driver. IIRC, I copied tons of data, folders and files (basically whole partitions) via shared drive. Translated USB and network shared drive doesn't differ that much internally, so it's curious that one works and other doesn't.

Second you can try to find some repeatable test case, i.e. a file and/or specific size where it fails and where it doesn't. If you find a failing test case, try the same on USB, too.

Also, 2.4A sounds awfully little, I would try a real power supply first if not already the case.
Tk
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Tk »

Cheers, I'll go hunting for a more powerful USB charger. What's typically needed for a PI3 with say a USB stick and wifi used?

As the the HD driver thing, I think I would need to repartition my 3 IDE drives (and copy all my stuff off and back on again) to try it. If I boot with ALT held down to bypass the PP driver and run HD Driver from floppy, it mounts the 3 IDE drives but they don't open. I remember reading somewhere the PP and HD Driver partitions were not compatible (probably because I made them DOS compatible or something when I created them, thinking I would be pulling the CF cards all the time to get files onto them).
Tk
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Tk »

I'm not getting anywhere with trying to up the power to the CE. The native connector is USB-Mini type B which was deprecated a long time ago so trying to get a high amp charger seems impossible. I've been using a USB A to USB-Mini B cable plugged into various universal USB chargers and I don't even think I'm getting the maximum amps through that cable either.

How are others powering their CEs externally? Are you using a Pi3? Going back to an older Pi seems like a pain, especially having to add a USB wifi adaptor.

Return to “CosmosEx”