Problem ripping samples from Steem memory image

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Nils Schneider
Atari User
Atari User

Problem ripping samples from Steem memory image

Postby Nils Schneider » Fri May 05, 2006 11:50 am

Hello guys,

maybe you have an idea: I'm just ripping some samples from Wings of Death that I need to for my remixes, but stepped into a problem:

The samples sound "good" while played back in steem, but when I load the memory dump into my wave editor, I'm missing the high frequencies. Speedwise, the right playback frequency should be something about 6000hz, but where the hell does the game get the high frequencies from then? In the game, it sounds more like 11025hz samples or even better.

I used 8 bit signed data format to import the memory dump. But the samples are reversed?! Why that? Plays Wings of Death samples in reversed order? I cannot believe that.

An it gets even more strange, I already managed to do that for the title music without problems, but for the "Please Wait"-music, I just don't get it....

Hope it's clear what I'm trying to explain because my english isn't that good....

Nils

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 05, 2006 12:57 pm

The please wait music is contained within the chip music soundtrack - play that back using the WinJAM (or ST JAM) and record it from there as a .WAV file.

You probably won't have heard it in your .MID files as, naturally, YM2Midi only sends out the YM bits and not the digi-drum/"please wait" samples.

As for the other .. set up a STEEM session with a copy of a decent sample editor and then save out the RAM from STEEM to a file. Open that file into the ST sample editor (e.g. Soundlab which I've attached below).

Then use the ST sample editor to play about with the samples and the freqs.?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Nils Schneider
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Nils Schneider » Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm

???

I'm not talking about midi files at all. I saved the ST RAM to a file using steem, or in other words, I saved the emulator state to a *.sts file and loaded that file in a WAVE editor in Windows.

I'ts clear to me that midi files do not contain samples :roll:

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Nils Schneider wrote:I'm not talking about midi files at all.

And neither am I .. just pointing out why you can't hear the Please Wait sample included in the chip music you've ported via the YM tool you've used.

Load the Wings of Death SNDH file (from the SNDH archive) into WinJAM and listen to (I think) tune #6 .. that's where the "Please Wait" tune is.

Nils Schneider wrote:I saved the ST RAM to a file using steem, or in other words, I saved the emulator state to a *.sts file and loaded that file in a WAVE editor in Windows.

You are better finding the samples by loading the .STS file into Soundlab and then filter out the samples that way.

THEN save it out into a raw .SPL file to be used and messed about with in your Windows editor.

But that's how I would do it ..
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Qube
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Qube » Fri May 19, 2006 1:04 pm

In the Steem snapshot (sts) file, the samples are reversed. I don't know why, but you just need to reverse them to get the correct again.

Alternatively, using Debug Steem you can dump the raw memory, and the samples are in the correct orientation.

The sounds are either 6KHz or 8Khz, but this does mean they only store about 3KHz of sound frequency, so don't contain any higher frequencies, as is the nature of sound sampling.

Q;

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”