All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

STOS the Games Creator

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:47 pm

OK, here is my strangest request yet:

I'm after STOS that is already installed to virtual hard disk under STeem with all the extensions (Compiler, 3D, etc) and examples present in the setup. Any 3rd party extensions installed would also be a bonus along with anything else that can added. Basically I'm after a complete setup with all the bells and whistles possible.

The resulting hard disk image will be incorparated into GamebaseST for instant usage from the front-end. I know this is a big request but I personally don't know enough about STOS to do the package justice, so I would be very grateful if anybody can help with this?

I have probably scared everyone of now :roll:

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:36 am

you can get all the stos stuff we have found at stos.atari.st

The stos folders on there are pretty much just copy it and run it. a lot of people tend to muck around with it and mess it all up, but thats the latest software installed there.

also you can't have "every" extension installed, many of them use the same letters, you could change the letters though would render the examples useless.

A few extensions don't even have a compiler extension, a few even can confict with eachother. The idea really is to only install the extensions you are going to actually use other wise it starts getting into a bit of a clutter else.

I would go for stos and the missing link extensions for a solid start...

Also some of the extensions are falcon only so no point installing them if you dont have one :D

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:46 pm

Exxos makes some very good points there regarding STOS. I remember some problems like these when I used to dabble in it.

Some of the best exteansions are Missing Link and Misty extensions without a doubt...

You could attempt of course with the gamebase to have a "select extension and install" option rather than everything at once, but you would have to note the pointzes exxos highlights too
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:36 am

Paul i still have the original box (albeit tatty), manual, disks, Sprites 600 addon, and other bits and bobs. fancy some scans?
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:15 am

Plus you will need to include GGN's STOS loader on a lot of pre-compiled disks so that they will work on a "modern" STEEM set-up with multiple TOS's etc.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi Dave

Send me scans of everything you can including the manual, will understand if you don't want to scan the whole manual however :D

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:29 pm

Goldrunner wrote:Hi Dave

Send me scans of everything you can including the manual, will understand if you don't want to scan the whole manual however :D

i'll see what i can do. ;)

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:37 pm

Cheers Dave :D

Does anybody have a list of commericial releases for STOS, the ones I know of are the Compiler, Sprites 600, and 3D. Was there any other third party commerical releases or was this everything?

Also, does anybody have compiled versions of the 3 examples games that came with STOS?

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:42 pm

Goldrunner wrote:Cheers Dave :D

Does anybody have a list of commericial releases for STOS, the ones I know of are the Compiler, Sprites 600, and 3D. Was there any other third party commerical releases or was this everything?

Also, does anybody have compiled versions of the 3 examples games that came with STOS?

k ive sent the scans Paul. Other releases for STOS were Maestro (sampled sound) and Maestro Plus (with cartridge for sound capture). let me check on the 3 games: bullet train, zoltar and orbit...

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:47 pm

here is the game image, although im not sure whether its compiled or .BAS version (still havent got round to redownloading STeem yet!!!)

why isnt it attaching??? oh ok just read the allowed extensions. please wait...

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:50 pm

here we go...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:11 pm

If memory serves, you needed to tweak the .BAS files before they would compile and run properly?

Exxos is probably the best one to ask.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Champions_2002
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Champions_2002 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:44 am

Don't forget STOS 3D that was a commerical release.

I have included a text file with a few stos games on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A member of Atarimania ST & 7800 department

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:48 pm

Cheers for the list Champions_2002 :D

So the complete commercial releases for STOS are:

STOS - The Games Creator
STOS - Compiler
STOS - 3D
STOS - Sprites 600
STOS - Maestro
STOS - Maestro Plus

Is this all of them, or are there more?

Does anybody know the last commercial revisions (not updated by users) of each of these?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 pm

They also released a compilation of games written in STOS, but for the life of me, can't remember the title.

Think it had "Cartoon" in the title though.

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi Muggy

Was that not Cartoon Capers, I thought that was just one game?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:50 pm

That sounds about right .. thought it was a compilation of various games done in STOS to showcase it all.

Maybe it was this release - was done by Mandarin Software anyways so should complete the set of STOS related commercial releases?

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:54 pm

What about the TOME extension? What exactly was it for anyway since I can't find any information on it?

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:58 pm

Are you thinking of Games Galore?

Mouthtrap, Skate Tribe, Yomo, Sky Strike

darn quality games!!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:27 pm

Was that published by Mandarin? If so, then it belongs in the STOS commercial range too I guess along with Cartoon Capers.

Weren't all these titles ones submitted to the STOS competition and these were the runners up and Cartoon Capers the winner?

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:52 am

I have found the following commercial releases of STOS:

STOS - The Games Creator v2.6
STOS - 3D v1.11
STOS - Sprites 600 v1.01
STOS - Games Galore

Still need the following in floppy disk format:

STOS - Compiler
STOS - Maestro
STOS - Maestro Plus

Thought I had the compiler but somehow the 3D installer had been put in the auto foulder replacing the compiler installer :roll: The rest of the contents of the disk are for the compiler however!

STOS Maestro seems very rare since I can't seem to find in anywhere even on the STOS site http://www.stos.atari.st

If anyone can help with the last few STOS products please let me know!

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:09 pm

muguk wrote:Was that published by Mandarin? If so, then it belongs in the STOS commercial range too I guess along with Cartoon Capers.

Weren't all these titles ones submitted to the STOS competition and these were the runners up and Cartoon Capers the winner?

yeah i think youre right - jogged a few memories there. Skystrike - what a cracking game! Yomo - difficult to pick up but impossibly enjoyable. Mouthtrap great fun and lovely graphics. Skatetribe - hmmm.... bit too easy. Lovely music tho.

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:11 pm

Paul I have the compiler disk (cant pretend I dont really as I sent you a scan of it, lol!). Let me try and download an imager and I'll send you a copy. Also could you pm me your email address again mate as I lost it all with my disc crash!

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:29 pm

booger, downloaded MAKEDISK but it cant read the disk for some reason. tried various parameters. :(

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:24 pm

Hi Dave

That's OK with the disk image of the compiler I'm sure it will turn up sooner or later, thanks for trying anyway! We already have a complete STOS setup using a hard drive image and it's that which is avialable from the frontend. The floppy disk versions are really for preservation purposes only (part of the archive but not available through the frontend). hopefully we will also get pasti images of these also!

BTW, the list that Champions_2002 posted on this thread lists three of your STOS games :D

Social Media

Return to “Applications”