Atari Portfolio IDE Hard Drive Kits are being made.

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Atari Portfolio IDE Hard Drive Kits are being made.

Postby rcamp48 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Breaking Announcement

Complete IDE hard drive kits for the Atari Portfolio are being made as we speak, at least 3 units, cables, laptop drives and enclosures are being designed too. I have the software and will personally test each unit when it is all made. How many Atari Portfolio Users would be interested in this? I do not know how much it will cost for each unit until one is made. Depends on what the IDE drives are worth, but I can get them for $3.00 Can each but they would be > 40 GIGS , the ideal size is 10 GIGS , I will have to look online to see what they are worth, and I have to pay Don for his time to make the cables. Note that you will need a parallel interface, I have one to test each unit with, any takers?
Now supporting Atari Portfolio , my archives are still being maintained.
BBS is now up again as an Atari BBS, run on PC, cause I sold everything but my Atari Portfolio.
Note: Atari Portfolio IDE CF kits are being made. Get yours today! :megaphone:
Spy Visits Spy BBS is back online at spyvisitsspybbs.com telnet port 1989 web port 1990 :megaphone:
Note the Port number changes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari Portfolio IDE Hard Drive Kits are being made.

Postby wietze » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:19 am

If its something along the lines of http://oldcomputer.info/portables/portfolio/ ; I'd be interested. Im mostly interested in a properly wired and tested adapter, the IDE drive and PSU for the IDE I can provide myself.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:19 am

rcamp48 wrote:Breaking Announcement

laptop drives

Out of interest, why aren't you using Compact Flash instead of an almost certainly old and possibly unreliable laptop drive ?

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:02 am

I would be interested if it is small enough and would be using Compact Flash.

bjkock
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bjkock » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 am

I´m interested if the price isn’t to high and would also prefer if it used Compact Flash instead of a “regular” hard drive.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:32 pm

I'm intrested too. But rather than using an old hard drive (which I have more than enough sitting around), I would also prefer Compact Flash or SD Card.

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rcamp48 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 pm

I will be using Compact Flash, just decided on a design I need someone that can incorporate a ROM and a few NAND gates into
the design.... the idea is to have the driver in ROM in the adapter, I guess I had better get the design here...

The price should not be too high
Oh and it uses Peter Faauses design from the parallel port

Russ
BBS is now up again as an Atari BBS, run on PC, cause I sold everything but my Atari Portfolio.
Spy Visits Spy BBS is back online at spyvisitsspybbs.com telnet port 1989 web port 1990 :megaphone:

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:24 pm

rcamp48 wrote:I will be using Compact Flash, just decided on a design I need someone that can incorporate a ROM and a few NAND gates into
the design.... the idea is to have the driver in ROM in the adapter, I guess I had better get the design here...

The price should not be too high
Oh and it uses Peter Faauses design from the parallel port

Russ

Sure sign me up!

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rcamp48 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Ok I can get them ready faster if I have something to give to Don, you know cross his palm with paypal, does anyone want to pre-order some ??? He has the compact flash adapters , and I can get the compact flash cards cheap here in Canada , he guarantees his work, and does a good job , plus he has the chips needed that are used in the parallel port interface , he he thinks he can make 10 or 12 in an couple of hours, he is really good at soldering . The more people I get pre-ordering the less the price will be , I am probable talking under $20 US for the adapters , maybe more depending on how long it takes him to do a really good job , I will send the money directly to him, send whatever you want that is reasonable for something like this, I will see that he makes them quickly (but not too quick), if you guys together can come up with $30 US, PM me for details I have already promised him $40.00 Canadian for the first one to get the ball rolling , that way I can test the first one and put software on the compact flash card (The entire Atari Portfolio CD that I made up from Paul Jolly's site). The first person that sends me the $30 gets the first one all tested and then we will go from there.OK? Russ

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rcamp48 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Ya those chips he has 50 of them or more , they are in the adapter not the parallel interface. Just so you know, and I have all of the software and ASM source for the POFOIDE disk.

Russ

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rcamp48 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 pm

Here is the software: and plans:

pofoide.zip

pofoide.txt

That is what you are getting , hjave a look at the POFOIDE.TXT file.

Brad from Best Electronics says as long as I have the software for IDE, it will read CF cards on an adapter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rcamp48 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:20 pm

For anyone that sends me $30.00 for the POFO IDE adapters , just for the first 5 people that do it , I will include free a 64 K Atari Portfolio card with the software already on it, and some games, I have 6 64 K cards, and 2 128 K cards, a card reader , and a DOS machine plus the entire Atari Portfolio library on my DOS machine , I can put anything you want within reason on these cards I just need to keep 1 128 K card and 1 64 K card , for my own uses, the other 5 64 K cards and the one 128 K card is up for grabs with a pre-order . Russ

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:20 am

Interested in one!

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:20 pm

I'm also interested in one!
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rcamp48 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:19 pm

To those who have purchased the IDE kit from me , or are about to, Don is at the stage of designing the circuit for the adapter or cable. Since he has received over $100. US to do 4 kits , he wants to do it right, and get me to test the first one. I expect by next Wednesday or Thursday he will have one for me to test, and they are guaranteed. I will personally load each one with a CF card , put the CF adapter on the IDE port and test all that I can with it.

If anyone still wants one then please send me a PM. once I have tested the first one , he will make a dozen or so, at least 2-3 days work.

There are 4 or you now who have pre-ordered this kit, I have a new program for Transfolio that basically adds a shell , and a nice one to transfolio, I have taken a program from QB64 org that was written by Steven and Pete, you still need a Parallel interface and normal cable for it, and you can run it in WIndows 7,8,10 32 Bit and 64 Bit as long as you have a parallel port on that machine.

Here is the video (4 mins) demoing my program called Trans-shell: https://youtu.be/0O6bfSOyWCg

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rcamp48 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:52 pm

Good news to all of my customers, the first unit may be available for testing either tonight or early tomorrow morning , 50 % done as we speak , I will have a few complete kits ready to ship in a few days.... Russ

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:35 pm

rcamp48 wrote:Good news to all of my customers, the first unit may be available for testing either tonight or early tomorrow morning , 50 % done as we speak , I will have a few complete kits ready to ship in a few days.... Russ

Good to hear! Looking forward! Id gladly wire you the money once the first device is tested!

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”