Online browsable DoIT archives available

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Online browsable DoIT archives available

Postby mikro » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:22 pm

While there is a github organisation with all DoIT archives dumped: https://github.com/doitarchive it doesn't provide ability to browse them online.

I had a spare afternoon so I uploaded & fixed everything here: https://mikrosk.github.io/doitarchive.

Source code is a normal github project: https://github.com/mikrosk/doitarchive.

Maybe you will find it useful. :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Online browsable DoIT archives available

Postby wongck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks for this.
This is a great doc but some of it was in German and I had a hard time using it.

I would think that those German pages will be translated by Chrome.... but they don't. Weird stuff.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanks Mikro
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Great work.

The filenames and layout of the pages however seem to indicate that they were initially created by UDO. Do you think the UDO sources are still available? That would allow to easily create also other formats like PDF or ST-Guide.

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:03 am

Kind of a funny story about the DoItF030 archives.
I got to know Robert pretty good while he was assembling all the info.
It was my understanding, many in the community were offended as he was asking "reimbursement" for his cost of assembling and distribution of the information, a lot freely available by the authors themselves.
It really turned into a world of crap, with a lot of personal attacks, that in my opinion, he should of never suffered.
That's why, later on, the archive had to be "cracked" as he completely washed his hand of it, and the entire Atari community at large.
It was a great loss IMHO.
Find it curious that even today, years later, people still search out his work, hosting it, and making changes, to a document he labored hard over yet only got grief over.
I think this all went down on the "German" side of things.
Just my 2 cents.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:12 am

Yeah, the story with Robert is a strange one. At one hand he clearly put a lot of work into assembling all of that information, on the other hand, 90% of the content is copy&pasted information from other sources, many times without giving proper credit. So it was kind of strange that he was defending his work as his copyright, it went even that far that he mailed administrators of every single web page and ftp server and demanded to put down all the copies without password. Later on, he demanded to put down ANY copies whatsoever, claiming that he has right to withhold anything from the Internet which is his.

So no Thorsten, I don't think we can get UDO sources from him. ;-) But feel free to email him, he is German: https://www.doitarchive.de/

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 am

@Mikro Great job. Are the pages updated automatically with Github commits or is it done manually? I'd like to contribute when I can. Or should we start a new project and combine Chips + DOIT + others into a new library of Atari stuff?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Yep, it's linked, so any update is automatically shown as the website.

You mean something like https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp for hardware? Well, that would be certainly nice but that would require someone dedicated to collect all that information, Gerhard has spent years on it and it is still not bug-free.

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:46 am

mikro wrote:Yep, it's linked, so any update is automatically shown as the website.

You mean something like https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp for hardware? Well, that would be certainly nice but that would require someone dedicated to collect all that information, Gerhard has spent years on it and it is still not bug-free.

Oh, yeah, that tos.hyp looks great. Something along that line I guess. Paired with your visually and informatively awesome Falcon PCB and Clock Patch articles, it would be a winner. Seriously, your work is very good.

But like you said, it's a huge project. Since the doit files are linked, maybe we should start with cleaning and updating and translating the contents there.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 am

I always accept any help / feedback but (even atari) life has taught me not to rely on it so much. ;-)

Oh and thank you for your kind words, I for one remember your work about TT motherboards, that was extremely interesting and informative as well!

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Thank you as well :D

gstoll
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby gstoll » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm

mikro wrote:Yeah, the story with Robert is a strange one.

I know also that the story is strange, but I think you should delete that "released by ELITE" an replace it with Roberts name. ELITE do nothing!

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:33 am

Well, that did release it in public in 2006, that is what I meant by it. Didn't want to put any 'cracked' in there. ;-)

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 am

gstoll wrote:
mikro wrote:Yeah, the story with Robert is a strange one.

I know also that the story is strange, but I think you should delete that "released by ELITE" an replace it with Roberts name. ELITE do nothing!

That would imply that Robert himself made it available which is quite the opposite. He is credited as per his own hand in the archives themselves.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”