SF354 disk read

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

xrbbaker
Atarian
Atarian

SF354 disk read

Postby xrbbaker » Tue May 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Hello -

I brought up my old system from the basement. I put it there in 1990 or so. Hooked everything up and it kind of worked. The monitor started fine. System booted up. I'm having problems getting the disk to insert. It gets stuck and doesn't want to drop down. I opened up the SF354 and found that it's getting stuck on the left side but if I press down on it a bit it sits into place. I'll tackle that later.

The drive tried to read the disk. I get mixed results but none of it works all the way. Sometimes it will say zero bytes. Sometimes it will partially read the disk, show that there are 12 files or whatever, but the text for the file names is corrupted. I'll try to click on one of the files in the folder and it will show zero bytes or say the disk is corrupted.

What are the odds that this is simply that the disks are in fact corrupted after sitting in a wooden box for 30 years? When I have the drive apart, I can see the disk spinning. The drive read head moves somewhat. Maybe it's working fine. Maybe it's sticking and not moving properly.

Question 1) It seems to me the first thing to do is get a known good disk and drop it in the drive and see how the system reacts to that. Is that what you all would recommend? If so, can you direct me to where I can get my hands on a disk that has some programs and or files that are known to be in good shape?

Thank you for the assistance. I'm rather excited to dig out this gem from my past.

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: SF354 disk read

Postby tjlazer » Wed May 29, 2019 2:11 am

Make sure your disks are indeed 360k disks and not 720k. That was a common problem. But since they are your old disks, that might be the case.

You can lubricate and clean the drive to make the disk mechanism work better. That will help. Be careful not to use too much oil as you can make a mess pretty easy! Clean the read/write heads while you can also with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip.
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

xrbbaker
Atarian
Atarian

Re: SF354 disk read

Postby xrbbaker » Wed May 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi Tjlazer - Thanks for the reply. I'll clean the read head with alcohol as you suggest. Regarding oil, I have some gun oil with a very narrow needle dispenser that can put out only a tiny drop. I can use that. However when I was looking at the drive I never did see any gearing for the read head. I guess there is some more hardware I have to strip away before I can get at it. Dang. I'm heading out of town for a few days so I won't get to this until next week. I'm really psyched to get this puppy back in action. I'd dearly love to play Joust again. That was my favorite!

Thank you

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”