Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: strange Mint issue

Postby emcclariion » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Just set boot log to yes..

It's ment to write a file to

C: mint/ boot.log

It's not writing the file
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 am

Try disabling all the XIF, XDD & XFS files.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:04 am

Gaiyan wrote:Nope, this was Thunder IDE and HDDRIVER 10.14

Where does it bomb? And this is *only* VanillaMiNT, installed as described in the instructions?

emcclariion wrote:It's not writing the file

So it's crashing very early in the boot process.

To sum it up:
emcclariion - The *exact* same setup that works (with memory protection too?) from your SCSI disk is crashing when booting from ACSI.

Gaiyan - a plain, unmodified VanillaMiNT is crashing during boot when booting from IDE when memory protection is enabled.

Different hardware, but same MiNT setup and apparently same/similar harddisk driver. You might want to test with a recent FreeMiNT setup: https://bintray.com/freemint/freemint/d ... 49-020.zip

You're on your own though, I have never installed FreeMiNT from scratch after the distribution change. It should be straightforward though, please give it a try.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby emcclariion » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 am

emcclariion - The *exact* same setup that works (with memory protection too?) from your SCSI disk is crashing when booting from ACSI.

Correct.

Will test tonight :)
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am

joska wrote:
Gaiyan wrote:Nope, this was Thunder IDE and HDDRIVER 10.14

Where does it bomb? And this is *only* VanillaMiNT, installed as described in the instructions?

Gaiyan - a plain, unmodified VanillaMiNT is crashing during boot when booting from IDE when memory protection is enabled.

I'd have to test more thoroughly. I just happened to install Vanilla MiNT on a clean system but with Nova and Lightning drivers. It bombed (two bombs) after it loaded the kernel and before anything after that.

I was just planning and testing apps and environments for the upcoming speed test roundup.

Once I've settled on what drive to use personally, I'll be able to look into this as I install EasyMiNT.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 am

It would be nice if you could try again but without the additional drivers. Just to see if MiNT boots and starts up XaAES. I believe that Lightning USB drivers should *not* be started from AUTO when using MiNT, you should rather use the MiNT USB kernel module driver.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby emcclariion » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:02 am

Lightning TOS drivers work fine with VMint, you have to use them for easy mint as the mint drivers dont work with that kernel, but the Mint drivers work great with VMINT.

But using TOS drivers with mint has caused no issues, in fact tos drivers work better as it detects the drive being removed.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

emcclariion wrote:But using TOS drivers with mint has caused no issues, in fact tos drivers work better as it detects the drive being removed.

The USB driver for MiNT also detects USB devices being removed. While you might see no apparent issues, using the USB stack for TOS under MiNT is not supported and therefore not recommended.

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby emcclariion » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Just to add got my scsi to sd and put my sd card out of the ultrasatan ready to format it and it booted into mint

There is differently a issue with hddriver or that mint kernel

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”