Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

acephd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Newbie questions

Postby acephd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:06 pm

BigMac740p wrote:
acephd wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:The easiest route is to use the Retrodriven Mame script where it download all rom from its repository.

Check their Git page: https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerMAME

So I did that now. Unsure if it's working because whenever I launch a core it still drops the video signal. Console cores are working fine. I did a clean install of mister files on the sd card and i'm having the same issue: no video signal! very confused.

Be aware, most arcades are using funky refresh rate, like Chris23235 pointed out before me, the some settings for mister is to sync the HDMI refresh rate with the core, in that setup most monitor will have sync issue with some arcades and console core.

I'm on HDMI, and I have the vsync set 0. I tried the script that was like most compatible video settings. some of the games work (1943) and some don't produce a video signal (burger time, dig dug).

I don't know if it helps anyone to diagnose, but some of them only work from the "alternative" menu in the arcade section. (pac-man - midway) and then when an arcade core does not produce a video signal the lights on the i/o board turn off.

sarvets
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sarvets » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 pm

New to forum so sorry if this has been answered. Also checked older posts to make sure:

Anyone else have problems with arcade cores being able to show the menus for the mister but blank screen? This is happening with

Robotron
Pacman
Rygar
Solomons key

Atm. I havent messed with the video settings at all they just load into a black screen and were fine before the last update. Any help appreciated thanks alot!

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Chris23235 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 am

acephd wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:
acephd wrote:
So I did that now. Unsure if it's working because whenever I launch a core it still drops the video signal. Console cores are working fine. I did a clean install of mister files on the sd card and i'm having the same issue: no video signal! very confused.

Be aware, most arcades are using funky refresh rate, like Chris23235 pointed out before me, the some settings for mister is to sync the HDMI refresh rate with the core, in that setup most monitor will have sync issue with some arcades and console core.

I'm on HDMI, and I have the vsync set 0. I tried the script that was like most compatible video settings. some of the games work (1943) and some don't produce a video signal (burger time, dig dug).

I don't know if it helps anyone to diagnose, but some of them only work from the "alternative" menu in the arcade section. (pac-man - midway) and then when an arcade core does not produce a video signal the lights on the i/o board turn off.

Seems like you monitor is picky when it comes to certain frequencies. Arcade machines weren't as normed as computers and consoles so odd frequencies are to be expected. You can try to force a resolution different from the native resolution of your monitor. On my Full HD TV some cores sync better, when I use 720p. You can add a resolution and VSync setting per core. It is even worth a try to use vsync_adjust 1 or 2. Even if 0 should be the most compatible, syncing works only in some 50 Hz cores for me, when I use vsync_adjust 1 or 2.

acephd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby acephd » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm

Chris23235 wrote:
acephd wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:Be aware, most arcades are using funky refresh rate, like Chris23235 pointed out before me, the some settings for mister is to sync the HDMI refresh rate with the core, in that setup most monitor will have sync issue with some arcades and console core.

Seems like you monitor is picky when it comes to certain frequencies. Arcade machines weren't as normed as computers and consoles so odd frequencies are to be expected. You can try to force a resolution different from the native resolution of your monitor. On my Full HD TV some cores sync better, when I use 720p. You can add a resolution and VSync setting per core. It is even worth a try to use vsync_adjust 1 or 2. Even if 0 should be the most compatible, syncing works only in some 50 Hz cores for me, when I use vsync_adjust 1 or 2.

so i have been tinkering on this on and off for a bit and i don't know what else i can try. I have tried 720p/1080p, 50 and 60hz, and also vsync settings 0, 1 and 2. i have also tried the retrodriven arcade script on a fresh install and also manually adding the mame roms to the folder. I just wanna play burger time and i used to be able to play burger time!

also to note some of the arcade roms i try to run don't even boot at all they just send me back to the previous menu. very confused! all of these things used to work very well for me.

pomegran
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby pomegran » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm a long-term user of Mister and think it's fantastic. However, one question I have on the TurboGrafx core ...

I see quite a lot of pixel crawl in games like Gunhed when scrolling horizontally. Does anybody else see this and if so, can I stop it with a setting? Genesis and SNES cores look great - it's just a TurboGrafx "thing".

Any advice greatly appreciated!

magbombz
Atarian
Atarian

Mister Not Responding to Input -- Status Light Pattern

Postby magbombz » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:13 am

I have the following setup:

Mister
I/O Board XL 6
XS-D v2.5 128MB SDRAM
MiSTer Official Hub 2.1

(From the Ultimate Mister 128)

I'm running video from VGA.

Today, I installed the RTC board, plugged in the Mister, and while I get video, my keyboard and joysticks are no longer responsive. I tried plugging them into the hub, as well as into the I/O board with no luck.

The red and yellow status lights on the I/O board are blinking in an alternate pattern (red on/off, then yellow on/off, repeat).

I removed the RTC, and it's still the same way. I then proceeded to remove the hub, then SDRAM, but the issue remains.

Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong here? I apologize for posting a thread about this -- I tried searching the boards as well as google (especially for status light patterns), but I couldn't find a result that appeared to match. This is my last resort.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Mister Not Responding to Input -- Status Light Pattern

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:01 am

magbombz wrote:I have the following setup:

Mister
I/O Board XL 6
XS-D v2.5 128MB SDRAM
MiSTer Official Hub 2.1

Today, I installed the RTC board, plugged in the Mister, and while I get video, my keyboard and joysticks are no longer responsive. I tried plugging them into the hub, as well as into the I/O board with no luck.

The red and yellow status lights on the I/O board are blinking in an alternate pattern (red on/off, then yellow on/off, repeat).

I removed the RTC, and it's still the same way. I then proceeded to remove the hub, then SDRAM, but the issue remains.

Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong here? I apologize for posting a thread about this -- I tried searching the boards as well as google (especially for status light patterns), but I couldn't find a result that appeared to match. This is my last resort.

probably no power connection to USB hub (fork contact?)

Set
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Set » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi all,

New to MiSTER, I' ve some questions about the mister.ini parameters despite my forum reading :?

- What's the best way to use MiSTER with an analog Tv with scart ? Using the I/O board with Vga and a cable vga/scart ? Or use Hdmi output & a Vga converter ? Which solution offers the best quality ?
- What video_mode should I use in the mister.ini file with an analog Tv (with scart) ?
- Should I use specific modelines for the different cores ?

Brendle
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Brendle » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if I could have some advice? I'd like to dual output the video signal from a MiSTer, VGA and HDMI, the VGA monitor is 4:3 and the HDMI is for an Elagato HD60 S. I have an I/O board with VGA (D-Sub).

I'm having some issues, does the MiSTer have settings I'm unaware of or does the resolution to both outputs have to be the same? The VGA monitors image doesn't look good unless the MiSTer is set to 1280:1024 but the Elgato doesn't support that resolution.

Is this simply a limitation of my setup because the three elements (MiSTer, monitor, Elagato) don't support all the same resolutions, or are there settings or things I'm unaware of? Any help would be great, thanks.

magbombz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby magbombz » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:18 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
magbombz wrote:I have the following setup:

Mister
I/O Board XL 6
XS-D v2.5 128MB SDRAM
MiSTer Official Hub 2.1

probably no power connection to USB hub (fork contact?)

I get the same behavior if I connect to the USB on the I/O board. Though, what do you mean by fork contact?

Does the status light pattern mean anything? I get it also when I disconnect the hub.

Edit: It's fixed! Yes, the fork connector (for those playing at home who are also just getting into this) is a little metal connector towards the back of the USB hub that connects to a pin directly above it on the FPGA, which is coming from the power connector. The fork pin was bent a little. Putting it back in its correct position has power going to the ports and the keyboard and joysticks are working fine.

I guess that LED pattern is a normal thing, then? Also, does the USB connector on the I/O board do anything? Should I expect a joystick / keyboard / wifi dongle to work in that outlet?

Edit 2: According to the IO Board page on the wiki, it's an expansion connector and not USB. What's the expansion connector for?

Threepwood
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Threepwood » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:06 am

magbombz wrote:According to the IO Board page on the wiki, it's an expansion connector and not USB. What's the expansion connector for?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/User-Port-(Serial-IO)
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]

magbombz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby magbombz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:01 pm

Oh rad. Thanks.

I got my Mister connected to the network via a WiFi dongle. It seems to work fine, except when I run the update.sh script, it disconnects from the network at some point. Is this expected? If not, is there any way to track down why?

Threepwood

Postby Threepwood » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:22 pm

magbombz wrote:I got my Mister connected to the network via a WiFi dongle. It seems to work fine, except when I run the update.sh script, it disconnects from the network at some point. Is this expected? If not, is there any way to track down why?

in Scripts/update.ini set:

Code: Select all

PARALLEL_UPDATE="false"

I had the same issue with parallel updates
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]

Sigismond0
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Sigismond0 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Yeah, it seems like that value should be false by default. The documentation even says "use at your own risk", so it's weird that it's enabled out of the box.

Atohmdiy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atohmdiy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello,
I have a question related to spdif. I want to output spdif with bnc or rca 75 ohm connector. I have a ioboard 6.1 (not populated) and i try to figure how to do it. Apparently the spdif out was dismissed in recent version of io board and now there is some kind of resistor + led.

The spdif signal come from the pin 9 of the ioboard, i guess i need a proper resistance to go to the correct level and output to my 75 ohm connector ?
thank you

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:27 pm

better to add transistor for bnc.

Atohmdiy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atohmdiy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Sorgelig wrote:better to add transistor for bnc.

Hello, than you for this answer. Could you elaborate how i can do it ?

BonzoBits
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BonzoBits » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:27 am

In video mode 1280 x 720 with integer scale, when I apply any of the Scandoubler Fx it reduces the area of the screen that is used by approx 33%. This does not occur in 1920 x 1080 when applying Scandoubler FX.
Is this the expected behaviour for 1280 x 720?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:12 pm

BonzoBits wrote:In video mode 1280 x 720 with integer scale, when I apply any of the Scandoubler Fx it reduces the area of the screen that is used by approx 33%. This does not occur in 1920 x 1080 when applying Scandoubler FX.

Scandoubler increase vertical resolution twice - so just use the math, and you will understand why scandoubled video is smaller.

Sigismond0
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Sigismond0 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:57 pm

BonzoBits wrote:In video mode 1280 x 720 with integer scale, when I apply any of the Scandoubler Fx it reduces the area of the screen that is used by approx 33%. This does not occur in 1920 x 1080 when applying Scandoubler FX.

Assuming you have your scaler set to integer only, here's why:

On a 720p display, 240p resolution is upscaled 3x for 720p. With scandoubler effects enabled, 240p is doubled to 480p. 480p cannot be integer upscaled to 720p, so it remains at 480p taking up 2/3 of the resolution.

On a 1080p display, 240p is upscaled 4x to 960p. When scandoubler effects are enabled, that resolution is doubled to 480p. That is doubled again to 960p, so you end up with the same size image.

If you set your scaler options to something other than 1, you'll get different results:

vscale_mode=0          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.

spindaddy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby spindaddy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 pm

I am trying to get the bootcore function working in the Mister.ini file. what am i doing wrong?

; lastcore - Autoboot the last loaded core (corename autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; lastexactcore - Autoboot the last loaded exact core (corename_yyyymmdd.rbf autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; corename - Autoboot first corename_*.rbf found on the SD/USB
; corename_yyyymmdd.rbf - Autoboot first corename_yyyymmdd.rbf found on the SD/USB
bootcore=DonkeyKong ; uncomment to autoboot a core, as the last loaded core.
;bootcore_timeout=10 ; 10-30 timeout before autoboot, comment for autoboot without timeout.

BonzoBits
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BonzoBits » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 am

Sorgelig wrote:Scandoubler increase vertical resolution twice - so just use the math, and you will understand why scandoubled video is smaller.

Sigismond0 wrote:Assuming you have your scaler set to integer only, here's why:

On a 720p display, 240p resolution is upscaled 3x for 720p. With scandoubler effects enabled, 240p is doubled to 480p. 480p cannot be integer upscaled to 720p, so it remains at 480p taking up 2/3 of the resolution.

On a 1080p display, 240p is upscaled 4x to 960p. When scandoubler effects are enabled, that resolution is doubled to 480p. That is doubled again to 960p, so you end up with the same size image.

If you set your scaler options to something other than 1, you'll get different results:

OK, thanks. It's clear now.

Is there any tradeoff from using 0.25 and 0.5 scale instead of integer, aside from possible shimmering during vertical scrolling? I'm using 240P Test Suite and can't notice anything between the various scaling methods.

LamerDeluxe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby LamerDeluxe » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 am

BonzoBits wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Scandoubler increase vertical resolution twice - so just use the math, and you will understand why scandoubled video is smaller.

Sigismond0 wrote:Assuming you have your scaler set to integer only, here's why:

OK, thanks. It's clear now.

Is there any tradeoff from using 0.25 and 0.5 scale instead of integer, aside from possible shimmering during vertical scrolling? I'm using 240P Test Suite and can't notice anything between the various scaling methods.

I you use a scan-lines effect you get repeating interference patterns. Scan-lines only really work well with integer scaling.

Return to “MiSTer”