https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hans23
Atarian
Atarian

Force HDMI resolution?

Postby hans23 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:35 am

Hi,

I am trying to run MISTer using an ancient LCD panel that has DVI inputs, using a DVI-HDMI cable. It seems, though, that MISTer does not correctly detect the resolution of the monitor and instead uses some other resolution:

MVIMG_20190918_072842 (1).jpg

Is it possible to manually lock the resolution of the HDMI output to the actual resolution of this monitor?

Thanks,
Hans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Force HDMI resolution?

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:20 am

hans23 wrote:Hi,

I am trying to run MISTer using an ancient LCD panel that has DVI inputs, using a DVI-HDMI cable. It seems, though, that MISTer does not correctly detect the resolution of the monitor and instead uses some other resolution:

MVIMG_20190918_072842 (1).jpg

Is it possible to manually lock the resolution of the HDMI output to the actual resolution of this monitor?

Thanks,
Hans

MiSTer doesn't detect resolution of monitor. Resolution is set in MiSTer.ini

danielb
Atariator
Atariator

Newbie MISTer question (sound)

Postby danielb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi all,

I've been using MIST for several years and have decided to try MISTer. In the mean time, I just have the Terasic board. I will get the SDRAM board soon.

For my first core, I have managed to get the TI994/a up and running, but it has no sound. I am set up for HDMI audio and the volume on my monitor is not muted.

So, am I supposed to be getting sound and if so, what am I doing wrong?

Tks,

Daniel

danielb
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Newbie MISTer question (sound)

Postby danielb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:04 pm

OK never mind. I remembered that the Megadrive core runs without SDRAM, and tI'm getting great sound from that.

I'd still be curious why I get no sound from the TI though...

Tks,

DAniel

12characters
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 12characters » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Similar issues with HDMI sound have been reported in these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34888
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=36957
My solution was to get an IO board so that I could use analog audio. An alternative is to get an HDMI extractor.

danielb
Atariator
Atariator

Postby danielb » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:08 am

Thanks.

For some reason, the TI994a core did produce sound one time. I have no idea why and I have not been able to make it do it again.

D.

Mouseboy007
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Local Sellers for MiSTer Expansion Boards

Postby Mouseboy007 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Hey All,

I'm in the UK and just starting out with Mister. By that, I mean I have nothing, nada, zilch.
So I guess I need the DE10-Nano and can get that for about £170 GBP from DigiKey (€121 EUR / $133 USD).
I know I also need a couple of SDCards that I can grab from Amazon, so no probs there.

I guess I need an RTC Board, a 128mb (ideally) or 64mb (meh) SDRam module, USB Hub (yeah, OTG is cheaper but I'd like to do it properly) an IO board, and a case (preferably acrylic but I can live with a 3D Printed one).

Can someone advise me of a couple of things please - first, I keep seeing different revisions of boards and modules and although I've not read of any interoperability issues with different boards and modules of different revisions, I just wanted to check with you knowledgable lot and also ask if there are even specific revisions I should be on the lookout for.

Secondly I'd like to buy the bits I need from as few sellers as possible in as few transactions as possible. I realise we're not talking off the shelf stuff here but I wondered if there's anyone that can facilitate providing all that I need (perhaps excluding the main board and SDCards that I can buy off the shelf) for one price - shipped to the UK.

Advice would be appreciate guys - in particular pointers to who are considered reputable sellers by this community since it's pretty much a case of having to wing it and send money directly to another individual in the order of £100+

Thanks all, have a great weekend!

Andy

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Newbie questions

Postby DrOG » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:07 am

You can grab a complete setup in acrylic case for 275€ here: https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... ter-micro/
(Unfortunately out of stock at the moment).

hyperterminal
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby hyperterminal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:22 am

Mouseboy007 wrote:Can someone advise me of a couple of things please - first, I keep seeing different revisions of boards and modules and although I've not read of any interoperability issues with different boards and modules of different revisions, I just wanted to check with you knowledgable lot and also ask if there are even specific revisions I should be on the lookout for.

Revisions don't matter so much. If you need an SPDIF out, older revisions of the I/O board than 5.5 have a direct connector whiler newer revisions need an adapter. On the other hand Rev. 5.5 onwards have a special zero latency USB jack that is used as a direct serial link to the FPGA core. It is not for connecting plain USB devices but instead intended for low latency controller add-on boards. As of now only one add-on board is available that supports this feature. In addition for the feature to work it must also be supported by the cores and as of know the support is still very low (e.g. Neo Geo core doesn't support it yet).
Mouseboy007 wrote:Secondly I'd like to buy the bits I need from as few sellers as possible in as few transactions as possible. I realise we're not talking off the shelf stuff here but I wondered if there's anyone that can facilitate providing all that I need (perhaps excluding the main board and SDCards that I can buy off the shelf) for one price - shipped to the UK.

You could buy a complete pre-assembled set that contains FPGA, add-on boards and case, like DrOG already recommended.

Another seller who sells these kinds of sets is this one: https://manuferhi.com/c/mister-fpga

gojira54
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gojira54 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:28 am

Mouseboy007 wrote:On the other hand Rev. 5.5 onwards have a special zero latency USB jack that is used as a direct serial link to the FPGA core. It is not for connecting plain USB devices but instead intended for low latency controller add-on boards.[/url] As of now only one add-on board is available that supports this feature. In addition for the feature to work it must also be supported by the cores and as of know the support is still very low (e.g. Neo Geo core doesn't support it yet).

I would really like to use original controllers via the 'zero latency USB jack' - how though?
Are the only ways to utilise this port via 3rd party purchased not open source solutions as linked?
It is really unclear what is available/in development :s
Are there any plans for DIY interface boards to use OEM controllers via this I/O board connector?
I've got original pads for my favourite systems, would be great to be able to use them plus the DIY hardware route is something I enjoy =]
Please do not take it personal, my lawyer has policies

ReverendCrush
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ReverendCrush » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Hey, so I'm pretty sure this falls under the category of "Newbie question". I've had my MiSTer for about two or three months now (with the I/O board), but I'm just now attempting to get it going on my Toshiba NTSC CRT TV via VGA-to-YPbPr RCA cable. I tested six console cores. NES, Atari 2600, TurboGrafx-16, and NeoGeo all display just fine. SNES and Genesis, on the other hand, have a rolling image. With the SNES core, I get a rolling display as soon as I load/switch to the core. The Genesis core is similar, except that the core's menu is fine until I load a ROM, and then the image rolls.

I know there's a way to set specific settings for each core, but I'm not sure what settings would fix this issue. Here's my .ini settings as of now. Any help is highly appreciated!

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
direct_video=0
key_menu_as_rgui=0     
forced_scandoubler=0
ypbpr=1
composite_sync=0       
vga_scaler=0           
hdmi_audio_96k=0       
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002
volumectl=0           
vscale_mode=0         
vscale_border=0       
bootscreen=0           
;mouse_throttle=10     
rbf_hide_datecode=0   
menu_pal=0             
hdmi_limited=0         
fb_size=0
fb_terminal=0
osd_timeout=120
dvi_mode=0
video_mode=8
video_info=10
vsync_adjust=2
video_mode_ntsc=8
video_mode_pal=9

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:36 pm

set composite_sync=1
Also make sure the SOG switch is ON.

ReverendCrush
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ReverendCrush » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:23 pm

Sorgelig wrote:set composite_sync=1
Also make sure the SOG switch is ON.

I'm assuming that the "On" position is towards the outputs for display. That's been on, turning it off causes the other cores and the MiSTer menu to roll.

I tried setting composite_sync on but I'm still getting the same results. I hope it's not an issue with the TV. :/

Omn1Slash
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Using SRAM Saves?

Postby Omn1Slash » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:09 am

Hello,
Just jumped into MisTer this week and so far loving it! I am trying to figure out how to use my original SNES / NES cart saves on the MiSTer cores. I was able to rip them a while back using a Retron 5, and then I even converted them to .sram which are readable by emulators just fine. I notice that MiSTer saves in .sav which is the same that the Retron uses... however, they don't read. I also tried just simply renaming the .sram files to .sav which are the same file size, but MiSter also doens't read them. Am I doing something wrong, or is there any current way to convert them so the MiSTer can use them?

Update - not sure what happened but now when I reload them, it works! I just used the original SRAM file and renamed it with a .sav extension, named exactly to the ROM file.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:15 am

I'm unfamiliar with the Retron5 saves, but I renamed my SD2SNES' .srm files to .sav and it worked fine on MiSTer.

wwark
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wwark » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi,
I'm new in Mister Fpga configuration and i have a wierd issue.

I use the HDMI out for the video and the audio.
If I start the mister and choose Gameboy Core or some Arcade Core like Digdug, Donkey Kong. I don't have sound.
If I start the core of SNES or NeoGeo I have sound and go after that to the Gameboy Core or DigDug or Donkey Kong I have sound. But If I start Gameboy after digdug i got no sound for example.
I tried 48k and 96k HDMI option but i have the same behavior.

Thanks for your tips and helps

Regards,
Wwark

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:03 pm

wwark wrote:Hi,
I'm new in Mister Fpga configuration and i have a wierd issue.

I use the HDMI out for the video and the audio.
If I start the mister and choose Gameboy Core or some Arcade Core like Digdug, Donkey Kong. I don't have sound.
If I start the core of SNES or NeoGeo I have sound and go after that to the Gameboy Core or DigDug or Donkey Kong I have sound. But If I start Gameboy after digdug i got no sound for example.
I tried 48k and 96k HDMI option but i have the same behavior.

Thanks for your tips and helps

Regards,
Wwark

looks like a problem of TV. Some TV trying to be too smart and detect the sound stream by weird ways. They may not like if sound is too quiet or having DC bias...

wwark
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wwark » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:19 pm

I use screen PC without sound and I link a cable to audio OUT of the screen to the OUT to my hifi device.
I tried through jack out of the mister to my hifi device and I have no problem about sound.

Do you think I can find a fix about my setting if I want to use HDMI ?

Thanks !

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:25 pm

wwark wrote:Do you think I can find a fix about my setting if I want to use HDMI ?

MiSTer has no such settings. May be monitor has.
It's better to use optical output from MiSTer.

wwark
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wwark » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Ok. Thank for the advice and the quick explain of my issue.
It is a very good project I hope the best for all work for it !

Mlaurito
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Mlaurito » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 am

Hello guys, what is the consensus on 3A power supplies and USB hubs ? I have a 3A PS and a passive OTG usb hub and would like some feedback if you have any. Thanks

xav2075
Atariator
Atariator

Postby xav2075 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:25 am

I use a 12V power supply that goes into a 5v volt UBEC rated at 3 amps. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-UBEC-5V-6 ... SwjXZcrGAo) These UBEC devices are used in radio control cars, planes, etc and convert a voltage between 5.5v to 26v and convert it to 5v. This setup gives enough power to the DE10-Nano for it to work without any side effects that I otherwise get with the standard psu when using a usb otg hub and a mouse, keyboard and game controller plugged into that.

A lot of 5 volt 3 amp psus can't really give up to 3 amps. But if I was going to buy one a good choice t could be the official Raspberry Pi 4 PSU (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ty ... er-supply/)

Mills
Atarian
Atarian

Noob questions

Postby Mills » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:30 am

First of all, sorry if this has been asked, you can redirect me to existing posts and delete this one.

So I'm going to build a MiSTer, and I'll use it for emulation, so I'll need the SDRAM expansion for some cores, and I know I can use the mini/micro usb with a hub to connect pads and keyboard..

Do I really need the IO board? I want to keep the "thing" as small as possible and I'll only use the audio jack for headphones (my "tv" has no audio jack so I won't be able to hear de hdmi sound), and the fan.

Is it possible to connect an audio jack to certain pins of DE10-Nano to get the sound?.
Can I connect the fan without the IO board?.

Will be any problem if I don't have a clock and I don't connect the board to the internet?.

I also wanted to ask if somebody is working on a core like the next186 but with 8088/8086/286 cpus, with VGA and adlib/sound blaster card.

Thanks a lot!.

SegaSnatcher
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SegaSnatcher » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Hey Sorg, I was curious about your USSR computer cores. For someone without any experiece with these cores (American) do these have some underrated games or are these cores not really good for any kind of gaming purposes? Thanks

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:09 pm

SegaSnatcher wrote:Hey Sorg, I was curious about your USSR computer cores. For someone without any experiece with these cores (American) do these have some underrated games or are these cores not really good for any kind of gaming purposes? Thanks

Cores like BK0011M and Vector-06C have a good games of ZX Spectrum level. Many games in Russian language, but most games don't require much knowledge in Russian to play as most of them are arcades.

Return to “MiSTer”