[Solved] Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

AdvancedFollower
Atari User
Atari User

[Solved] Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

Postby AdvancedFollower » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 pm

So sadly, my MiST appears to be damaged. Today when trying to power on the device, I found the power cable a bit loose, and when I pulled it out, the entire micro-USB connector dislodged from the board and fell out.

I'm not good with a soldering iron, and the connector is so small, but how bad does this look, is it repairable, and what are my options? I bought the device from amigastore.eu, so I guess I'll email them and see if there's some kind of warranty... I got it just under a year ago, and I have been careful not to stress or strain the USB connector. If they can't do anything, I guess some kind of TV/radio repair shop should be able to fix it?
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:20 pm

move R2 resistor to R1 place and solder barrel J1 connector instead of microUSB.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Yes - go for the barrel connector. A lot of Mist have this issue. Soldering should be easy. Of course you have to drill a hole in your metal case too. Normal handheld drill will do. Maybe there still pics for the procedure in this forum. Topic has been discussed previously. :coffe:

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 pm

AdvancedFollower
Atari User
Atari User

Postby AdvancedFollower » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

I ended up sending it to the man himself (Lotharek), who soldered on a barrel connector and drilled a hole in the case for it.
I just put a bit of black tape over the empty hole and it looks good as new :cheers:

caver99
Atariator
Atariator

Re: [Solved] Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

Postby caver99 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:18 am

i know this thread is oldish but my mist did the exact same thing and rather than put the barrel jack in and loose the usb update if needed i traced the usb pins and soldered a long usb lead in and made sure i couldnt put it out the hole and now its back to normal is.

AdvancedFollower
Atari User
Atari User

Re: [Solved] Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

Postby AdvancedFollower » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:19 pm

caver99 wrote:i know this thread is oldish but my mist did the exact same thing and rather than put the barrel jack in and loose the usb update if needed i traced the usb pins and soldered a long usb lead in and made sure i couldnt put it out the hole and now its back to normal is.

Yep, best if you can solder yourself as long as you feel confident about it. For me, it was better to have someone who knows what they're doing fix it :)

Return to “MiST”