desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Old Spectrum core with esxDOS support

Postby desUBIKado » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:11 am

I have installed the old Spectrum core with esxDOS support

https://github.com/sorgelig/ZX_Spectrum ... esxdos.zip

because I wanted to enjoy of these two compilations on MiST:

Both of them need esxDOS to work, and they have worked without problems.

I saw a issue on OSD Menu. There was a blank row, and the options were shifted.

Spectrum-esxdos-OSD.jpg

If it's simple, could someone fix it?

On another hand, It would be cool if this core had support for the +3e rom, and the Workbech +3e could be used. :)

One more thing... if for this core the spectrum.rom file was changed, by example, to speccy.rom, both of them spectrum cores, the old one and the new one could be on the same SD card.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanyPPC
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Old Spectrum core with esxDOS support

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:17 pm

The DivMMC compilation is amazing, I'd like to make one with my personal collection.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Supporting an MMC card interface for +3e (or ResiDOS) is not hard, but how do you share the SD card between MiST and +3e? It's not that straightforward, +3e cannot read the FAT filesystem.

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 pm

On ZX-Uno fpga are two forms:
  • When core is working, eject SD card, insert a new SD card with +3DOS formatting and make a warm reset.
  • With a SD card with two partitions: the first one with FAT32 / FAT16 format, and the second one with +3DOS format. That's how I got it (in spanish): http://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9668#p9668

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:55 pm

slingshot wrote:Supporting an MMC card interface for +3e (or ResiDOS) is not hard, but how do you share the SD card between MiST and +3e? It's not that straightforward, +3e cannot read the FAT filesystem.

Many cores had the same problem. That's why i implemented the fake SD card quite some time ago. The MIST then uses the SD card and the core uses an image file stored on the SD card and thinks that image file is the SD card. The C64 floppy works that way. The C64 core (and many others) thinks it's directly accessing an SD card while in fact it's only accessing a single file stored on the SD card.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote: The MIST then uses the SD card and the core uses an image file stored on the SD card and thinks that image file is the SD card.

Yeah, the .vhd file and sd_card.v is a good solution for using +3e.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 am

slingshot wrote:
MasterOfGizmo wrote: The MIST then uses the SD card and the core uses an image file stored on the SD card and thinks that image file is the SD card.

Yeah, the .vhd file and sd_card.v is a good solution for using +3e.

But i am confused. I am sure i implemented exactly that for the speccy core running esxdos a few years ago ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2KloBbW6Qc
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:But i am confused. I am sure i implemented exactly that for the speccy core running esxdos a few years ago ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2KloBbW6Qc

That was removed from Sorgelig's core when it got disc support (there were usabiltiy reasons - ESXDOS didn't have LFNs - and also technical reasons - disc and sd card emulation both uses the same slot for disc access, so you either have a disc mounted, or use the SD card, but not both). I started to resurrect it (as you can use 2 disc slots now), just write support doesn't work reliably yet (did it work before?). I guess the core at mist-board still has it, but it doesn't have +3 support, so no +3e there.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:02 pm

This Workbench +3e is strange, I've enabled MMC support with +3e ROMs (it works), then I click on hd0, and the system is reset. Maybe wait for 2.0.

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Another very cool project with +3e support: Spectrum +3 CP/M en disco duro interfaz 8 bits, DivIDE, DivMMC y ZXMMC (spanish)

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 pm

slingshot wrote:This Workbench +3e is strange, I've enabled MMC support with +3e ROMs (it works), then I click on hd0, and the system is reset. Maybe wait for 2.0.

I see changes in your repository https://github.com/gyurco/ZX_Spectrum-128K_MIST but I don't see a new realease. Are you going to make it?

The creator of Workbech +3e wrote me this today:

Well this new version 2.0 detects the ZX-Uno and goes full steam, nothing to do with the 1.1.

It is almost completed, but due to lack of time and trying to polish it as much as possible, it has been delayed much longer than expected. There are things to improve in future versions, but at some point I have to pause and publish.

If someone make a CORE for the MIST that supports + 3e it would be interesting to detect the machine and be able to use the extra speeds of the CPU as in the ZX-Uno. If there is an opportunity I will, I will be attentive to the subject.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 pm

desUBIKado wrote:I see changes in your repository https://github.com/gyurco/ZX_Spectrum-128K_MIST but I don't see a new realease. Are you going to make it?

I've already submitted the change to Sorgelig's repo, maybe he'll do a new release if you ask him ;) Didn't try the MMC drivers for CP/M yet, but that looks interesting. +3e worked for me, could format a disk, created partitions, copied some files on it. One issue is write support become unreliable at 56MHz turbo speed.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:25 pm

The binary with DivMMC has been released.
Probably you will need a special ROM for +3e.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Here's a spectrum.rom with +3e.
I suggest to create a spectrum.vhd file in the root folder (should be a 64 MB empty file for example) so you won't format the SD Card accidentally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Thank you very much Sorgelig and slingshot

You are greatest men. I'm going to test it in a couple of hours.

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:04 pm

slingshot wrote:Here's a spectrum.rom with +3e.
I suggest to create a spectrum.vhd file in the root folder (should be a 64 MB empty file for example) so you won't format the SD Card accidentally.

Thank you for this rom. I test it with a SD image with a lot of games and works like a charm.

I notice this rom only work with ZXMMC interface. Could you make other version for divMMC interface? I can not start the CP/M up with ZXMMC

And another question, What is the structure of spectrum.rom file? What roms and in which order are inside?

And finally, Would there be any possibility that * .VHD files could be loaded from the OSD menu instead of always being spectrum.vhd?

Thanks in advance.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 am

desUBIKado wrote:Thank you for this rom. I test it with a SD image with a lot of games and works like a charm.

I notice this rom only work with ZXMMC interface. Could you make other version for divMMC interface? I can not start the CP/M up with ZXMMC

And another question, What is the structure of spectrum.rom file? What roms and in which order are inside?

And finally, Would there be any possibility that * .VHD files could be loaded from the OSD menu instead of always being spectrum.vhd?

Thanks in advance.

Here's another I created previously, hopefully it's the divMMC version :)
The ROM format is: GLUK + TRDOS + 128K + 48K + 4xPlus3 + PlusD + MF128 + MF3, 8k ROMs are padded to 16k.

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 pm

This SD image raw with CP/M for +3DOS works on ZX-Uno but don't on MiST

spectrum-cpm.vhd.zip

Perhaps the problem is on the driver for DivIDE and it is not a core problem.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:51 pm

desUBIKado wrote:This SD image raw with CP/M for +3DOS works on ZX-Uno but don't on MiST

spectrum-cpm.vhd.zip

Perhaps the problem is on the driver for DivIDE and it is not a core problem.

DivIDE is a completly different hardware, also ATA protocol is completely different from MMC SPI, so don't expect it to work.

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:11 am

slingshot wrote:DivIDE is a completly different hardware, also ATA protocol is completely different from MMC SPI, so don't expect it to work.

Yes, yes, it was a mistake. ZX-Uno only support DivMMC amd ZXMMC as MiST.

This is a start up on a ZX-Uno with the CP/M SD card image:

And now, two more on MiST

On ZX-Uno the driver detects a DIvMMC interface, but don't on MiST. Perhaps isn't a core problem, and the author of the driver made specific code for ZX-Uno.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:54 am

desUBIKado wrote:
slingshot wrote:

On ZX-Uno the driver detects a DIvMMC interface, but don't on MiST. Perhaps isn't a core problem, and the author of the driver made specific code for ZX-Uno.

Doing LOAD "LOADER" from the CP/M partition always writes Driver: DIVIDE

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:01 am

Is the driver available on a separate DSK image? So the original CP/M can be booted and then see if loading the driver works.
Ok, so using ZXMMC mode, CP/M says: interface DIVIDE, in DIVMMC mode it says interface: not found.
Something wrong with the interface detection, I think.

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 am

Is the same image on zxuno and mist. There are zxmmc.bin and divmmc.bin files inside too.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 am

desUBIKado wrote:Is the same image on zxuno and mist. There are zxmmc.bin and divmmc.bin files inside too.

I've used your image. But the detection code is probably in the loader. What I read on the forum you linked (with google translator), the detection works by reading the ports of the interfaces, and if it returns FF, then it considered as 'not found'. Don't think it's a correct way. But if it is, it wouldn't mix interface types. So needs either the source code of the loader, some explanation from the author, or a longer debugging session...

desUBIKado
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby desUBIKado » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:02 pm

I am going to write in spanish forum. Maybe there will be lucky.

Return to “MiST”