Newdesk.inf and autostarting GEM apps

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Newdesk.inf and autostarting GEM apps

Postby FatRakoon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 pm

I am trying to find a perfect Emulator for the ST / TT / Falcon and so far, I have been using GEMualtor, but Im trying to source a better emulator.

Hatari and ARanyM are, near-identical I think, but, while I have found the TT Emulation to be great, I have had plenty of issues with getting it to start up nicely.

What I mean there, is that AUTO apps seem to go, but the Newdesk.INF is ignored? I am trying for example in a stock Atari mode, no Multitasking OS yet, but gettign it to kickstart JINNEE.APP and it simply wont do it? I cannot get it to use the Newdesk.inf file not even get it to remember the open windows.

ARanyM is even worse and it will only half run when the CONFIG file does not exist, and once its there, it opens a CMD LINE and a window then they both disappear. It does this on EVERY Version of Windows and Linux that I have tried, on 7 different Machines.

So, ARanym is useless to me there!

Anyone know why that is, and if there is a solution?
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Newdesk.inf and autostarting GEM apps

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:32 pm

FatRakoon wrote:Hatari and ARanyM are, near-identical I think

Not really. They both originally were based on the same CPU emulation core, but have diverged since then. They also share some other code (ported from Aranym to Hatari and vice versa). But their goal is quite different. Hatari does a great effort to accurately emulate any piece of hardware, including all timings, so that a lot of old demos/games can be run there. Aranym otoh tries to emulate everything as fast as possible, and does not even count CPU cycles. And it only emulates a Falcon with a '040 CPU.

while I have found the TT Emulation to be great, I have had plenty of issues with getting it to start up nicely.

TT emulation in Hatari is still not as complete as eg. STe

gettign it to kickstart JINNEE.APP and it simply wont do it?

Did you try other desktops? Jinnie was mostly meant to be run on Magic. Maybe it will run on others too, but then you will need at least wdialog or similar. Also what version of Hatari are you using? And which TOS?

ARanyM is even worse and it will only half run when the CONFIG file does not exist, and once its there, it opens a CMD LINE and a window then they both disappear. It does this on EVERY Version of Windows and Linux that I have tried, on 7 different Machines.
So, ARanym is useless to me there!

Sounds like it cannot find a TOS. As mentioned above, It only emulates a Falcon, so TOS 3.06 won't work. You have to use TOS 4.04 or EmuTOS.

Posting some error messages that get printed in the console might help.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi,

Finding the perfect emulation for your needs is a complicated path, but not impossible. It depends a lot on what you want to do as there is not one solution that fits them all. Do you want hardware compatibility for games, demos and touchy apps? Do you want the fastest and modern look and feel for GEM productivity apps ? Do you want an easy solution?

If you want a plug and play solution, you should give a try to AtariX, which is the open source version of Magic Mac :
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33296&p=349493&hilit=atarix#p349493
It's fast, compatible with all well written GEM apps, in a nutshell it's Magic ... but it's not an hardware emulator, so forget ST games, demos and many non gem softwares.

If you want an emulator as close as possible to the original hardware you have Steem and Hatari. I don't know the first one so I'll let the expert talk about it, but I know and use Hatari. Hatari can emulate ST and STE almost perfectly allowing games, demos, midi apps ... to run. TT and Falcon emulation are still a work in progress. Falcon emulation is working quite well indeed.
Now, there is an issue with Hatari above 2.0 : when using disk image for hard drive, the desktop.inf or newdesk.inf from the hard drive image is not used ; instead is used a standard one. Look at this thread for a temporary workaround or use Hatari 1.9 which doesn't suffer of this bug.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=33129&start=125

Aranym : this a special animal, as it doesn't emulate an existing machine. It's a kind of hybrid Falcon / Milan, booting only with emutos, Tos 4.04 or straight into Mint, emulating most of the Falcon hardware (DSP, midi and audio are not complete) with a 68040 under steroid (I got a 4Ghz equivalent 68040 with a fast Core i3) and with access to the host hardware. That's my favorite of all, but it can't be compared with Hatari as it is much more powerfull but less compatible, so forget games, demos and touchy apps. Small, detail, it's learning curve is kind of steep and first contact can be discouraging.
I have build a distribution for it, ready to install, it's EasyAraMint : https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home
Aranym can be also configured to boot from standard TOS4.04 with Videl emulation and use Videl Inside to have hi resolution in 256c and 16bits colors. I can share you a disk image ready to use, which runs Calamus, Photoline, Das suite ... and many others if you are interested.

Finally, you have also 2 self booting distributions, BeePi and BeeKey, which are full system, the first one for RaspBerry Pi and the second for X86 that boot directly into Aranym (EasyAraMint) an allow to transparently launch games, demos or hardware sensible apps in Hatari (see previous link).

Cheers,
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/beebox68k/

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:08 pm

FatRakoon wrote:What I mean there, is that AUTO apps seem to go, but the Newdesk.INF is ignored? I am trying for example in a stock Atari mode, no Multitasking OS yet, but gettign it to kickstart JINNEE.APP and it simply wont do it? I cannot get it to use the Newdesk.inf file not even get it to remember the open windows.

Which version of Hatari you tried and were you booting from GEMDOS HD emulated drive, or from a harddisk image?

(Hatari v2.1 has a bug where it overrides INF file loading always which break INF file loading from hard disk images, but on the other hand, program autostarting does the necessary changes to the existing INF file when using GEMDOS HD emulation. There are some workarounds for harddisk image INF overloading issue, but easiest is just using GEMDOS HD emulation, or Hatari v2.0.)

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”