Beginning of very long journey

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Beginning of very long journey

Postby czietz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:02 am

mpattonm wrote:And while debugging that dreaded Falcon board board, I have also quite progressed on F030NG. Schematics, except for DSP and analog audio are now complete, LAN and USB are in place. I have also did a first version of board layout.

Very nice! Which chip will you be using for USB?

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:55 am

LAN and USB are basically on-board NetUSBee implementation, so current drivers should work out of the box.
USB: Phillips ISP1160
LAN: Realtek RTL8019AS

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 am

mpattonm wrote:USB: Phillips ISP1160

In the Lightning VME we're using this one as well, basically for the same reason: drivers.

Just be warned that you'll encounter some supply-chain issues with the ISP1160. It's long discontinued, hence it is only available at more or less dubious obsolete parts dealers. During manufacture of the Lightning VME we encountered among other things: 1. ISP1160s where the leads were corroded to such a degree that -- even though we extensively cleaned them -- we suffered a huge yield loss due to poor solderability. 2. A shipment of ISP1160s -- claiming to be new-old stock -- in which more than half of them were basically dead, one of the power pins being shorted to ground. They must have been used and severely mistreated during their previous life to fail in such an obvious way. 3. Some random faults within the chip that are fortunately caught during our end-of-line test.

All I want to say: Be sure not to buy from the cheapest source and prepare to have some issues with that chip.

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Shoot. I have realized they are harder to obtain, but I have not expect the situation to be that bad. Do you have an experience with, or have you considered ISP1161? They are more recent than 1160.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:39 pm

I think ISP1161 is actually the same silicon as ISP1160, only that the USB device controller part is enabled as well -- but you don't need to use it, of course. So I'd expect ISP1161 to work right out of the box. I (or we as the Lightning VME team) don't have any experience with the ISP1161, though.

Matthias, who is in charge of purchasing and build-up, has found a batch of working ISP1160. So it's not impossible to find them; you just might have bad luck, like we did several times.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:56 pm

mpattonm wrote:LAN and USB are basically on-board NetUSBee implementation, so current drivers should work out of the box.

Could you explain further please how will you do that? To avoid conflicts with the real ROM-port I mean.

Great work but the way!

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm

For this revision, the only solution is to disable XROM3 and XROM4 signals routes to both chips via on-board jumper, whenever you want to use ROM port cartridge.
There is also unused serial interface in MFP, that could potentially used to manage whole lot of additional devices and that could be SW driven solution. I have not explored this option futher, is not on a plate for now.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:06 am

When it comes to ethernet, what about something like this: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28840 but built in?

I have that card, it's the same IC so I had adapted the original EtherNEC drivers for that + optimised the hell out of it (plus enabled 16-bit transfers), it's quite fast in the end: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28840&start=50#p307838

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 am

Really enjoy these updates.

I found this interesting video on youtube, about going to manufacture with your PCB Design. Really good tips and ideas.
Do board designers typically source their own materials and send to China for production? Or do they take a Bill of Materials and then quote to buy and build?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXE_dh38HjU

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

mikro wrote:When it comes to ethernet, what about something like this: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28840 but built in?

Will this work with a CT60x?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Good question, the compatibility with existing CT6X is one of my goals. Either way, what mikro suggest is very interesting piece of hardware, based on RTL chip driven by Altera CPLD. I would like to have this postponed for next revision, where I hope to implement large enough FPGA, which should the contain more then LAN and USB logic.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”