Original video clock to SuperVidel

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., instream, Moderator Team, Nature

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Original video clock to SuperVidel

Postby mikro » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:26 pm

I've been wondering -- has anyone tried to connect the original video clock to the SuperVidel as per the installation manual? Or even better question: has somebody noticed cases where it was really needed? I must say I haven't used SV *that* much and especially not for watching oldschool games/demos (how many of them work on CT60+VGA?) but I'm tempted to do the mod anyway.

And I'd like to have some game/demo/application where I could observe the effect (and the fix). I'm thinking whether Nature's Willie's adventures isn't one of such cases? ;-)

Correction: it's New Beat's game, not Nature's (but hey, Reeking Rubber should by an obvious candidate, too!)

fidzen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Original video clock to SuperVidel

Postby fidzen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 pm

I have made the mod as described in the manual, but I don't know if it's good or bad.
It's a very easy mod, so I guess it's recommended to do.
One game that I have played that take advantage of both CT60 and SV, is Robinsons Requiem.
It's superfast compared to standard Falcon.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari Stacy 2 with 4Mb RAM and 20Mb HD.
Atari Lynx II with new LCD and VGA output.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:20 pm

I have run some ST games patched for CT60 by Klapauzius. I think he has them all on his website http://www.klapauzius.net. For example Fire and Ice uses HBL palette switching on the main screen and this does not work well on SV unless you have soldered the clock+sync cables from your MB to SV. Without the actual Videl VGA clock the SV clock will drift away from the Videl clock, even though the SV tries to emulate the same frequency, and the result will be that the Fire and Ice palette switching will be performed on the wrong line and it will slowly move vertically on screen.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks instream, that's exactly what I was looking for. Will do some comparisons. :)

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:23 pm

instream wrote:I have run some ST games patched for CT60 by Klapauzius. I think he has them all on his website http://www.klapauzius.net. For example Fire and Ice uses HBL palette switching on the main screen and this does not work well on SV unless you have soldered the clock+sync cables from your MB to SV. Without the actual Videl VGA clock the SV clock will drift away from the Videl clock, even though the SV tries to emulate the same frequency, and the result will be that the Fire and Ice palette switching will be performed on the wrong line and it will slowly move vertically on screen.

Awesome, I've done this mod and had no idea if it was done correctly, so I'll have to give this a go.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

alienkidmj12
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alienkidmj12 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 pm

hi there, is this what you talk of ?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34319

thanks

dave

instream wrote:I have run some ST games patched for CT60 by Klapauzius. I think he has them all on his website http://www.klapauzius.net. For example Fire and Ice uses HBL palette switching on the main screen and this does not work well on SV unless you have soldered the clock+sync cables from your MB to SV. Without the actual Videl VGA clock the SV clock will drift away from the Videl clock, even though the SV tries to emulate the same frequency, and the result will be that the Fire and Ice palette switching will be performed on the wrong line and it will slowly move vertically on screen.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:21 pm

alienkidmj12 wrote:hi there, is this what you talk of ?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34319

thanks

dave

No, different mod, it connects directly to the SuperVidel. I think the mod you show is possibly a clock/signal boost? I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will say I am way off.

There are seriously some weird mods out there for Atari machines. I think I still need to apply the clock patch I ordered from Chris to my machine.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”