Tempest 4000 on PC....oh dear

Discuss Demos / Games / Applications written by Atari coders

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Tempest 4000 on PC....oh dear

Postby catmando » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Bought Tempest 4000 on PC yesterday (on the day of release), sad to say it's not what I was hoping for, lack of control choices and general shoddy conversion to PC platform. Subsequently asked for a refund

Here's some of the reviews (less than 24 hours after release)

Tempest4000_PC_Reviews1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Tempest 4000 on PC....oh dear

Postby leech » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Anyone know if/when the Linux port is going to be released? How is it fairing on other systems? I am still waiting for a port of Polybius, which is practically the same as Tempest anyhow.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

RoadRunner
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby RoadRunner » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Don't think the jag version will ever be topped 8)

And I still have it :D

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 pm

RoadRunner wrote:Don't think the jag version will ever be topped 8)

And I still have it :D

Same here! I should track down a rotary controller...
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 pm

I bought it and played for 3 mins sofar. It works okay and I think it is about what I expected.
I will play more until I decide if its crap or not.

Nothing brainblasting high tech, just as expected. Otoh I couldn't track down any other decent PC remakes of Tempest that work well. There was one around 2007 but it crashes for me with Windows 8 which is a shame.

So if Steam has another playable Tempest clone, please recommend.
Until that, I won't totally giveup on Tempest 4000.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:59 pm

The reviews basically say if you've not played anything since Space Giraffe then it's cool (but pricey) but if you played TxK on any platform it is little more than that game re-branded.

Anyone played Polubius PSVR?

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:37 pm

alexh wrote:The reviews basically say if you've not played anything since Space Giraffe then it's cool (but pricey) but if you played TxK on any platform it is little more than that game re-branded.

Anyone played Polubius PSVR?

I haven't played it in VR, but I do have a 3D TV and it is pretty amazing there (of course with anything on a 3D TV you have to be in the 'sweet spot'). I can guess it is about the same except you are always in the sweet spot. I know this because I do have a Vive, and pretty much that is how it works when you basically have something that is flat in VR. Perfect 3D. Unless he put in things like being able to turn and such, but PSVR is mostly a 180 degree thing from what I have read.

Polybius to me is the new Tempest 2000.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 pm

I have Polybius VR for my PSVR. It's really fun and my kids loved the game play.

Fast-paced with incredible VR visuals and amazing sound effects.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:45 pm

I have not played Tempest 4k or TxK but judging from videos so do enemies look much better in Txk... in T4k they look so static/stiff. Well... thats all i had to say about this game... i will probably buy it it eventually, i am hoping for a Nintendo Switch version :)

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm

catmando wrote:Bought Tempest 4000 on PC yesterday (on the day of release), sad to say it's not what I was hoping for, lack of control choices and general shoddy conversion to PC platform.

What on Earth are you talking about? Both txk and t4k were developed on PC so it's not a conversion! I did read though that it doesn't offer keyboard controls which is a no-go for me, that's why I haven't bought it yet. If anyone can confirm that keyboard input works I'll happily buy it.

catmando wrote:Here's some of the reviews (less than 24 hours after release)

Yeah, and then if you scroll down the steam page you'll find an equal amount of praises for the game. Minter's games are kind of niche these days - people do not play arcade style games that aren't forgiving or cuddling the player so there's bound to be quite a few negative reviews there. I'll probably update my views once I get to try it myself but for now I wouldn't trust neither a positive or a negative Steam review.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:52 pm

ggn wrote:
catmando wrote:Bought Tempest 4000 on PC yesterday (on the day of release), sad to say it's not what I was hoping for, lack of control choices and general shoddy conversion to PC platform.

What on Earth are you talking about? Both txk and t4k were developed on PC so it's not a conversion! I did read though that it doesn't offer keyboard controls which is a no-go for me, that's why I haven't bought it yet. If anyone can confirm that keyboard input works I'll happily buy it.

Yeah, and then if you scroll down the steam page you'll find an equal amount of praises for the game. Minter's games are kind of niche these days - people do not play arcade style games that aren't forgiving or cuddling the player so there's bound to be quite a few negative reviews there. I'll probably update my views once I get to try it myself but for now I wouldn't trust neither a positive or a negative Steam review.

"OMG 2 HARD" - wussy gamers
Tempest is old school difficulty where sucking down coins was its job. If he releases it for Linux I will buy it. Trying to move away from needing Windows as much as possible

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 pm

leech wrote:
"OMG 2 HARD" - wussy gamers

Tempest is old school difficulty where sucking down coins was its job. If he releases it for Linux I will buy it. Trying to move away from needing Windows as much as possible

This! +1 :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 am

ggn wrote:

Here's a thought, why don't you purchase the PC version yourself and then give it a try before speculating an opinion.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Tempest 4000 on PC....yes, dear

Postby ggn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 am

catmando wrote:
ggn wrote:

Here's a thought, why don't you purchase the PC version yourself and then give it a try before speculating an opinion.

As a matter of fact I did, last night.

Yeah the controls were a bit awkward and took me all of 5 minutes to get used to them. I played the game at 1440p running at full 60Hz on a 2008 PC, so Jeff and Giles get top marks on engineering - this runs buttery smooth. It's also such a joy to watch I almost wished I wasn't playing it. But as these things go I pretty quickly zoned in and my fingers did the work on their own while my eyes were absorbing all that geometry transform goodness. It doesn't mean I'm good at it yet, goodness no I suck. But I'm slowly building up to it. So far the only thing that's bothering me is that the first music track used is a reworking of the T2k one, I always found that pretty annoying. But it just gives me incentive to push on so I don't have to listen to it on later levels!

Shoddy port? Nope, not really. Unless you have some counter argument against it except a generic"shoddy"?

And then after playing it for about 40 minutes I booted T2k on the Jaguar because it so happened that it was set up right besides the PC.

And I LOL'd hard at the claim of "t2k can't be bested". Choppy frame rate, inaccurate geometry, janky audio... Nope, sorry. Games like these are supposed to be 50/60Hz or nothing. Minter's been perfecting tube shooters for at least 20 years after t2k and he did do much much better with t4k. I dunno, maybe you guys are feeling sad he's not coding for Atari platforms anymore or something?

Bottom line: I liked it a lot. It's your right to ask for a refund if it didn't meet your expectations of course. Just don't assume that the majority of people will agree with you.

P.S. I never played T2k that much, I just don't like Tempest too much. But I do like t4k so that's something :)
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 pm

I think it looks good based on the YouTube video. A bit like the on rails shooter Rez on the PS2 and sharper than Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar.
It might be a good justification for me to get a PS4, that and Shenmue 3.
I'm not really a great fan of Jeff Minter games although Revenge of Mutant Camels was fun for a while on the ST. I think I'll play that tomorrow!
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Tempest 4000 on PC....yes, dear

Postby leech » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:34 pm

ggn wrote:
catmando wrote:
ggn wrote:

As a matter of fact I did, last night.

Yeah the controls were a bit awkward and took me all of 5 minutes to get used to them. I played the game at 1440p running at full 60Hz on a 2008 PC, so Jeff and Giles get top marks on engineering - this runs buttery smooth. It's also such a joy to watch I almost wished I wasn't playing it. But as these things go I pretty quickly zoned in and my fingers did the work on their own while my eyes were absorbing all that geometry transform goodness. It doesn't mean I'm good at it yet, goodness no I suck. But I'm slowly building up to it. So far the only thing that's bothering me is that the first music track used is a reworking of the T2k one, I always found that pretty annoying. But it just gives me incentive to push on so I don't have to listen to it on later levels!

Shoddy port? Nope, not really. Unless you have some counter argument against it except a generic"shoddy"?

And then after playing it for about 40 minutes I booted T2k on the Jaguar because it so happened that it was set up right besides the PC.

And I LOL'd hard at the claim of "t2k can't be bested". Choppy frame rate, inaccurate geometry, janky audio... Nope, sorry. Games like these are supposed to be 50/60Hz or nothing. Minter's been perfecting tube shooters for at least 20 years after t2k and he did do much much better with t4k. I dunno, maybe you guys are feeling sad he's not coding for Atari platforms anymore or something?

Bottom line: I liked it a lot. It's your right to ask for a refund if it didn't meet your expectations of course. Just don't assume that the majority of people will agree with you.

P.S. I never played T2k that much, I just don't like Tempest too much. But I do like t4k so that's something :)

Any idea if it supports the Steam Controller?

Also... still waiting for Polybius. Dying to try that on the Vive!

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:14 pm

I works 100% with Xbox 360 controllers so it should work with the Steam controller too.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Social Media

Return to “Non Atari Platforms”