Gunship trainer

It's all about cheating!

Moderator: Moderator Team

KrazyKato
Atariator
Atariator

Gunship trainer

Postby KrazyKato » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am

Ok, so I dug out my old games disks last week and I would swear I had the original Microprose Gunship disks as me and a friend used to play it constantly. But alas they weren't there.
Reason being used I wanted to crack and train it (infinite ammo) on a real ST.
I never got around to doing it years ago as my 68000 knowledge wasn't that good. Still isn't really!
So I just used STEem with MonST and it's now cracked ( disk checks removed, vehicle identification and countersign ignored ) and runs from the hard drive or from one disk with an infinite ammo trainer which I find very useful ☺.
A few questions though.
I've only ever used a modified version of MonST and the ultimate ripper to crack and train games like Baal; Ballistic and Stormtrooper to recall a few.

What did you guys use to train games with?
MonST? Toxic? Bugaboo ?
And has ayone had experience with the LLS cartridge in STEem and if so where do i get this wonderful .stc file from?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gunship trainer

Postby Mug UK » Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 pm

From the few that I did back in the day, I would:

Use MONST to work out where in the code the offset was and/or work off a dead listing created using EasyRider.

Get the offsets to where the bytes needed to be altered.

Using a standard front-end bit of code (nicked from the original EXECHEAD.S from Pompey Pirates), I added all kinds of extra options to display the cheats I'd coded. The patches were put into the same code and assembled with the original program as an unpacked binary stored as an INCBIN. Then the program was packed and made ready for distribution.

It's better looking at the examples, than me trying to describe the front-end, so see the attached :)

Trainer Examples by Mug UK.rar

They're not top class as I didn't know (still don't!) how to do some of the more advanced trainers/cracking that others could easily do.

My way was "if it interested me, I'd do it!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri May 25, 2018 2:21 am

And I thought it was done either with a whip and good training treats.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm

In brief:

On the real machines: bugaboo.
On emulation: Steem engine boiler room.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

KrazyKato
Atariator
Atariator

Postby KrazyKato » Fri May 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Never used bugaboo before, any advice on how to use it as it appears to be in German?

Showaddywaddy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Showaddywaddy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:50 pm

GGN wrote a bugaboo guide on the D-Bug forum

KrazyKato
Atariator
Atariator

Postby KrazyKato » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:GGN wrote a bugaboo guide on the D-Bug forum

Thanks for the link to the bugaboo tut. :cheers:

I've put together a pdf on how to crack and train this game now.
Linked here as it's 3MB along with the MSA of finished trained crack.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1itoRgItO3WEpDjp01jJE1bwhp086v5xk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KrazyKato on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Showaddywaddy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:49 pm

nice one... you mentioned that "the Automation one had a crap way of bypassing the vehicle ID check so I decided to have a go
at it myself", what did The Law aka Cyrano Jones do? It would be interesting to see how he circumvented the protection? - can't be arsed to dis-assemble Automation 187 :)

Shw

KrazyKato
Atariator
Atariator

Postby KrazyKato » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:05 am

It looks like the vehicle names have all been erased and all set the same result code. It still works absolutely fine but doesn't look nice on the ID screen. There's also a way to completely bypass that screen altogether as i've been hacking my way through it. :wink:

millap
Atarian
Atarian

Postby millap » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:53 pm

ahh... Gunship... Happy memories and still playing it today on my Mac using the HATARI emulator.

Sounds like your experiences playing this game were similar to mine. Used to play this all through the night back in the day, but only ever managed to get the CMOH twice.

One extra tip if you're using the infinite ammo hack. Empty your fuel tanks and chain gun ammo to the bare minimum as this will reduce the weight, and actually lets you fly faster. You'll also be able to take off again with only one engine if the other is damaged.

I have the info on how to edit the ROSTER.FIL file somewhere, so will dig it out if anyone is interested.

Social Media

Return to “Cheats & Saved-Game Editing”