Wanted: 520 STM PAL

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Wanted: 520 STM PAL

Postby ijor » Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi,

I am interested to buy a PAL 520 STM. If it was upgraded to 1MB RAM the better, but it's not mandatory. However must be PAL, with modulator, and without internal floppy. Located in the US. Fully working, bare with a working PSU if possible is good enough.

Thanks,

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Wanted: 520 STM PAL

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 pm

So I guess you mean the early smaller ST? I have a few I haven't really started to work on yet. I gotta check to see if any have a modulator. I know at least a couple have 1MB and one 2.5MB. TOS is naturally 6 chips but I can provide any language. Keyboards are all either German, Swedish and maybe a UK one. I'm not sure if the PSU is a switching one. If not, you'd need a step-up transformer to use it.

Anyway, I can possibly provide what you want. As is, or fully restored or somewhere in the middle. I'll have to check which ones have the modulator though, if any.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, for a couple of reasons I want the old smaller model (no internal drive, no internal PSU). I would need uk english. The PSU is not big deal. But I need it at the US. Are you located at the US? Otherwise, do you think you can ship safely to the US at an affordable price?

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 pm

I love the old 520ST model, and I have a couple. In many ways it's my favourite model. They are often found fairly cheap over here, going for $50 or even less without drive.

I am fairly certain the PSU is not universal, atleast the one I just checked is not. and it is quite heavy.

As for PAL and with modulator, why? unless you plan on using the antenna or composite out? Personally I use RGB out on all my ataris. (connecting with scart, but scart is scarce in the US I've heard somewhere?) I think I got a spare modulator lying around somewhere if needed.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Wed May 16, 2018 2:46 am

Hi Greenious.

That computer will be used for testing and experimentation, it is not for actual use. I need it to be as close to original Uk computers as possible. That includes the PAL crystal frequencies. And yes, I plan to use it, at least sometimes, without an RGB monitor.

I know the PSU is not universal. It is a bit long to explain, but this is not a problem for me.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am

Just checking on postage prices from sweden I see the postage is likely to be quite high. 8kg is about $100 USD, as a rule of thumb it seems the rate is about $12/kg or roughly $6/lbs...

Weighing the 520ST I got here shows about 2.7kg and the PSU 1.7kg.

Checking on the local market now I see a possible STM candidate going for roughly $25 at the moment.
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am

I can do about 50€ for shipping from Finland for a package that would be close in size. I'd have to have the exact dimensions and weight and address to get an accurate price. My company gets good corporate shipping rates. I'll check this afternoon if I have a suitable STM though.

Edit: That was for 8kg, which is high I think. 5kg would be 40€ or so.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Yeah, sadly shipping stuff from sweden is ridicilously expensive, it's actually cheaper to ship from germany to sweden than it is to ship within sweden... go figure..

anyway, check this one out...

https://www.tradera.com/item/340857/310 ... tari-520st
From description/pictures it's just a bare STM with PSU and antenna cable. Looks ike UK keyboard and UK TOS.

International buyers accepted. current price about $38 ($1 USD = 8.70 sek)
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Ok, so I got to check my "warehouse" and turns out I have 3 520STM models.

1) UK model with TOS 1.2. 512KB RAM
2) SWE/GER hybrid. SWE keyboard (a bit beat up) and German TOS 1.0 also 512KB RAM
3) German model currently in pieces under work. 2.5MB RAM, TOS 1.4 UK, I believe an RTC device, not sure, also some external switch. This project is on hold.

My external floppy is acting up so I got the info from a test cart.

Keep in mind, I only buy cheap, as is, for parts, to restore. These 3 have not been worked on despite one being in pieces. However, these are resilient little things and seem to power up and load the desktop.

If you're still interested we can arrange something, I'm sure.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Wed May 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks, I'll contact you by PM later.

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”