Lightning VME is here

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Lightning VME is here

Postby Gaiyan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Are you using INIT? And would that make a difference?

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 pm

remig wrote:Here's the screenshot under 1.19.379. My USB folder only contain the files supplied in the 120 release.

So far, nothing looks unusual. I see that you run this on a TT. Just to be sure: you are using the blitz030.ucd driver (and not blitz.ucd, which would be the MegaSTE version of the driver) and you're not loading the TOS drivers in the AUTO folder before loading MiNT? Can you please disable all device drivers, i.e. storage.udd, mouse.udd, keyboard.udd and see if this changes anything?

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Atarieterno wrote:With the Lightning drivers loaded in memory: Cubase does not start.

And how "does not start" manifest itself? Error message? Bombs? Is this really caused by the Lightning VME driver or by any of the device drivers (mouse, keyboard, storage)?

remig
Atarian
Atarian

Postby remig » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:04 pm

czietz wrote:
So far, nothing looks unusual. I see that you run this on a TT. Just to be sure: you are using the blitz030.ucd driver (and not blitz.ucd, which would be the MegaSTE version of the driver) and you're not loading the TOS drivers in the AUTO folder before loading MiNT? Can you please disable all device drivers, i.e. storage.udd, mouse.udd, keyboard.udd and see if this changes anything?

Yes I use the blitz030.ucd, nothing in auto except freemint loader. I have the same behavior with just usb030.km and blitz030.ucd, or usb.km and blitz 030.km.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Thank you. Could you please try the attached debug version of the driver -- preferably still without any udd device drivers -- and post a screenshot? It will display a lot of message that help pinpointing the problem.

Note: You might have to configure the MiNT kernel to show debug messages at all. At boot, press the Shift key asked to by the loader, then switch the debug level to "ALERT, DEBUG".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

remig
Atarian
Atarian

Postby remig » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:50 pm

czietz wrote:Thank you. Could you please try the attached debug version of the driver -- preferably still without any udd device drivers -- and post a screenshot? It will display a lot of message that help pinpointing the problem.

Note: You might have to configure the MiNT kernel to show debug messages at all. At boot, press the Shift key asked to by the loader, then switch the debug level to "ALERT, DEBUG".

Here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Interesting and strange. This hangs very early on, before the USB chip on the Lighting VME is even initialized. I have never seen this with one of our users before.

I have attached a version with much more extensive debug output during this early phase. Can you please retry the experiment?

remig
Atarian
Atarian

Postby remig » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm

czietz wrote:Interesting and strange. This hangs very early on, before the USB chip on the Lighting VME is even initialized. I have never seen this with one of our users before.

I have attached a version with much more extensive debug output during this early phase. Can you please retry the experiment?

Seems to freeze when configuring cpld.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm

czietz wrote:
Atarieterno wrote:With the Lightning drivers loaded in memory: Cubase does not start.

And how "does not start" manifest itself? Error message? Bombs? Is this really caused by the Lightning VME driver or by any of the device drivers (mouse, keyboard, storage)?

Double click on Cubase.PRG and only one blink on the screen, Cubase does not start (nothing appears).
I disable the Lightning drivers and Cubase works without problems.
I have not tried deactivating the drivers one by one, I have only tried with the complete set (storage, mouse and keyboard). :shrug:
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 pm

remig wrote:Seems to freeze when configuring cpld.

OK, thank you. Now I have to get our hardware guys involved. I will get back to you.

vattari
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby vattari » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 pm

It would be great if it was technically possible to use this with a USB>VGA adapter such as this one:
https://www.tme.eu/en/Document/6ba3f6c7 ... A0076A.pdf

Cheap and convenient, it technically possible, I would pay for some drivers to be written.
  • Mega STE/4, Monster board, 40GB IDE, CosmosEx
  • Mega ST4, Monster board, 8GB CF, Gotek
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB CF, Falcon Speed, CosmosEx
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB SD, Gotek
  • 130XE/myIDE2; 800XL/Supermon; XEGS/SIO2SD; 800XL/SIO2SD; 130XE/SIDE2
  • 1040STE/4MB, Monster board (8GB SD, RTC)
Work-in-progress: Mega ST4/Matrix M110 video; Mega ST2/Titan Reflex video; TT 2/16MB; 1200XL UAV; 400 UAV/Audio; 800

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:29 am

vattari wrote:It would be great if it was technically possible to use this with a USB>VGA adapter such as this one:
https://www.tme.eu/en/Document/6ba3f6c7 ... A0076A.pdf

Cheap and convenient, it technically possible, I would pay for some drivers to be written.

Lightning is USB 1.1 but USB 2.0 devices (which this adapter is) work at reduced speed. Wiki reports speeds to be 600kbps which most likely is not enough for any display mode. I suspect another problem would be the TT not having enough oomf to drive it. Even though the adapter has hardware for the VGA it might be too much to handle. I hope I'm wrong as this would be cool.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:25 am

Gaiyan wrote:Lightning is USB 1.1 but USB 2.0 devices (which this adapter is) work at reduced speed. Wiki reports speeds to be 600kbps which most likely is not enough for any display mode. I suspect another problem would be the TT not having enough oomf to drive it.

This is correct, although I want to make clear that the speed is 600 kByte per second. Yet, a VGA frame at 640x480x256 colors needs about 300 kByte, so you can calculate that -- even if the TT was doing nothing else but transferring frames out of the USB port -- you'd get a frame rate of about 2 fps. Not sensible, imho.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:32 am

czietz wrote:OK, thank you. Now I have to get our hardware guys involved. I will get back to you.

OK, I heard back from our HW designer and sent you a PM.

rthorntn
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rthorntn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:54 pm

I have a MSTE with 2.05 TOS, I get:

"Lightning VME not found!"

Do I need to upgrade to TOS 2.06?
MSTE (4MB, 2.06) + Lightning VME + SCSI2SD 5.1

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:38 am

rthorntn wrote:I have a MSTE with 2.05 TOS, I get:

"Lightning VME not found!"

Do I need to upgrade to TOS 2.06?

No, TOS 2.05 is also supported. Please recheck that you have installed the Lightning VME correctly and that you're using the MegaSTE driver (and not the TT one).

rthorntn
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rthorntn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 am

Thanks, as far as I can tell it's installed correctly (it was a pain to insert the DIP chip with the Lightning installed) and I'm using the MSTE driver. Matthias is having me run autosort.

rthorntn
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rthorntn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 am

Its working, one of the VME connectors was not pushed in enough.

Can somebody help me out please, how do I use a USB storage key with it (update: I can see the sandisk in hddrutil but I can't format it and if I partition it I get two bombs on boot unless I disconnect the sandisk usb)?

Also I'm just running TOS, can somebody please walk me through getting networking working, I have a dub-e100?

Thanks.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:00 pm

rthorntn wrote:Also I'm just running TOS, can somebody please walk me through getting networking working, I have a dub-e100?

If you want just to transfer files, use uip-tool for Lightning VME: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33843
For full a full networking stack, as of today, we have a STinG driver: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33940

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Matthias has prepared an updated edition of the driver floppy disk (R120) that is included with all current shipments of the Lightning VME. For those of you who ordered their Lightning VME some time ago and still have an older floppy, it's available for download: http://www.newtosworld.de/downloads/tre ... 20/details

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”