Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Magic mac open sourced

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:16 am

Awesome! Thanks Andreas :D
I just read this and installed it a couple of days ago on OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

For those who find the download/installation a little confusing, here's a quick start (as I found it confusing myself):

1) go to the download page as mentioned earlier, click on the "Download" button, then select "Download ZIP" as shown in this screenshot:
download_atarix.png

2) Unzip the downloaded file, open its folder and locate the "release" subfolder. You'll find "AtariX.app.zip" which you need to double-click to unzip on your Mac

3) Move (or copy) the "AtariX" app over to your Mac's "Applications" folder

4) Now start AtariX as you would any Mac app

5) A message window will pop up saying the following:
atarix_intro.png

6) Within AtariX, go to File - Choose RootFS... where you select folder named MAGIC_C (spelt exactly like that in all upper-case) which you need to create and put anywhere you like on your Mac hard drive (i.e. ~/Documents/AtariX/MAGIC_C)

7) Next, go to File - Revert RootFS... and press the "Create or revert" button.
The needed files will now be created inside that folder.
create_revert.png

8) You're done and can now run the emulator by going to File - Run.
If things don't look quite right (resolution etc.) you can change this by going to AtariX - Preferences...
You might need to quit AtariX, then start it again in order for the changes to take effect
atarix_prefs.png

9) Some other useful preference changes (in my opinion):
- "Emulator bei programmstart starten" (makes the Atari desktop appear immediately (so you don't have to select File-Run each time you run AtariX)
- "Atari bildschirm" (select the Atari desktop resolution here -personally I want to fill my entire Mac screen with the Atari desktop, so I've chosen my Mac display resolution of 1920x1200 pixels)
- "Atari sprache" (I assumed this would be for selecting the AtariX menu language, or the Atari desktop menu language, but it doesn't change anything so I have no idea what it does -anyone know?)

10) Installing an additional Atari drive:
The Atari boot drive (C) is now already set, but in case you want to add another drive (i.e. "D", "E", "F" etc.), do as follows:

a) Create a new folder on your Mac hard drive with a descriptive name of your choice (i.e. "Atari drive D" or "MAGIC_D" etc.)
b) In AtariX, go to AtariX - Preferences... then click on the "Laufwerke" tab
c) select a drive you want to add (i.e. "D" as shown in the screenshot below) by clicking on it
d) click on "Pfad..." (path) and select the folder you just created on your Mac hard drive (i.e. "Atari drive D" or "MAGIC_D" etc.)
atarix_laufwerke.png

e) quit AtariX, then restart it
f) While in AtariX, within the Atari desktop go to Options - Install drives which will make a new drive icon appear.
To save the setup go to Options - Save options (within the Atari desktop, otherwise known as "MagxDesk" in this configuration) in order to save your new settings

The new drive can be useful for testing out downloaded Atari ST software by moving them over while on the Mac OSX side without accidently deleting/moving/renaming the existing Atari-related files which are on the C drive :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:14 am

shoggoth wrote:
Frank B wrote:
mikro wrote:Check this out guys: https://gitlab.com/AndreasK/Atari-Mac-MagiC-Sources

The next stage: MagiC sources for all platforms (Atari, Milan, Hades, Mac...)

Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Kernel sources not there yet though

For the interested audience: AES kernel sources have been uploaded a few hours ago. A nice feature -- they are all UTF-8 now so no problem to recompile on modern platforms.

Funny trivia: VDI had been provided by Behne&Behne (NVDI!) so if Andreas find sources (as opposed to binaries only) we will have NVDI (kernel) source code as a bonus. :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:54 am

mikro wrote:Funny trivia: VDI had been provided by Behne&Behne (NVDI!) so if Andreas find sources (as opposed to binaries only) we will have NVDI (kernel) source code as a bonus. :)

That would be great !!! :D
But if it's like the AES it's probably in ASM. :(
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:52 pm

This will be extremely useful in many ways.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

gstoll
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gstoll » Tue May 01, 2018 6:57 am

mikro wrote:Funny trivia: VDI had been provided by Behne&Behne (NVDI!) so if Andreas find sources (as opposed to binaries only) we will have NVDI (kernel) source code as a bonus.

We will see, but my information is that the Behne&Behne make only the Falcon part from the MagiC VDI.

wongck wrote:But if it's like the AES it's probably in ASM.

The DOS is definitely in ASM.

Perdrix24
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Perdrix24 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:05 am

Fujiyama wrote:Awesome! Thanks Andreas :D
I just read this and installed it a couple of days ago on OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

For those who find the download/installation a little confusing, here's a quick start (as I found it confusing myself):

Excellent! Thank you for your instructions, they work and AtariX is amazing!

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby arf » Tue May 01, 2018 6:00 pm

wongck wrote:
mikro wrote:Funny trivia: VDI had been provided by Behne&Behne (NVDI!) so if Andreas find sources (as opposed to binaries only) we will have NVDI (kernel) source code as a bonus. :)

That would be great !!! :D
But if it's like the AES it's probably in ASM. :(

Large parts of NVDI are 68k assembler, yes.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:
Fujiyama wrote:Awesome! Thanks Andreas :D

Excellent! Thank you for your instructions, they work and AtariX is amazing!

You're most welcome. Glad it helped getting it to work :D
I agree it's amazing -especially to have an Atari ST with a huge high resolution desktop in colour!
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

frost
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby frost » Thu May 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Andreas pushed the BIOS source files for Atari, Hades and MagicPC in the repo !
My blog, mostly about Atari and demo stuff.

efx
Atarian
Atarian

Postby efx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Frank B wrote:Yeah. I was able to build it on my mac. There's a binary version in the archive for those that want to play with it. You just need to pull the repo with "git clone https://gitlab.com/AndreasK/AtariX"

thanks Frank ! I just tested it. I have not yet installed programm or how to do. it run fine from Sierra

cb170
Atari User
Atari User

Postby cb170 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Hey, AtariX is very cool indeed! Just installed it and have been playing with it.

Any way to change key bindings? My "y" key produces a "z", and vice versa... 8O

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:21 am

cb170 wrote:Any way to change key bindings? My "y" key produces a "z", and vice versa... 8O

The OS tries to load a file KEYTABLS.SYS from \GEMSYS\MAGIC\XTENSION\ which has 10 tables
  • 128 bytes for unshifted keys
  • 128 bytes for shifted keys
  • 128 bytes for caps keys
  • six tables of 128 bytes each for alt keys
  • a dead key table

Not sure whether that format is compatible with mint, at least i haven't found a program to generate those file. You can see the default table at https://gitlab.com/AndreasK/Atari-Mac-M ... OS.S#L3144 and it is read by https://gitlab.com/AndreasK/Atari-Mac-M ... READ_KTB.S

And yes, there is only one (german) default table compiled into the kernel.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:33 am

Oh btw. if someone wants to try the french version (the version in the release directory seems to be just a copy of the englih one):

MagicMacX.os.fr.zip

You have to put in the AtariX.app/Contents/Resources/fr.lproj folder (no need to change the root filesystem, it is directly loaded from there when changing the language to french). But as said above, that does not affect the keyboard tables.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:09 am

Fujiyama wrote:You're most welcome. Glad it helped getting it to work :D
I agree it's amazing -especially to have an Atari ST with a huge high resolution desktop in colour!

Is this somehow better than Hatari? Otherwise why is it exciting, I don't understand :)
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:48 am

It's exciting if it leads to the ST version of Magic being open sourced.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:21 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:
cb170 wrote:Any way to change key bindings? My "y" key produces a "z", and vice versa... 8O

The OS tries to load a file KEYTABLS.SYS from \GEMSYS\MAGIC\XTENSION\ which has 10 tables
  • 128 bytes for unshifted keys
  • 128 bytes for shifted keys
  • 128 bytes for caps keys
  • six tables of 128 bytes each for alt keys
  • a dead key table

Not sure whether that format is compatible with mint, at least i haven't found a program to generate those file. You can see the default table at https://gitlab.com/AndreasK/Atari-Mac-M ... OS.S#L3144 and it is read by https://gitlab.com/AndreasK/Atari-Mac-M ... READ_KTB.S

And yes, there is only one (german) default table compiled into the kernel.

MyAES use same format as Magic (I copy it!), you can generate keyboard with charview create by Roland Sevin, I have done a new version some years ago it crash under new Mint version (never take time to fix this) but shoud work under Magic. You can find on my Myaes web page : http://myaes.lutece.net/
let me know if it not work I could look at source code
OL

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:07 am

Frank B wrote:It's exciting if it leads to the ST version of Magic being open sourced.

Yeah but these guys are saying the emulator AtariX is exciting as itself. Which is what makes me confused since we already have Hatari as a multi platform emulator.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

penguin
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby penguin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:16 pm

mzry wrote:
Frank B wrote:It's exciting if it leads to the ST version of Magic being open sourced.

Yeah but these guys are saying the emulator AtariX is exciting as itself. Which is what makes me confused since we already have Hatari as a multi platform emulator.

Hatari can't be compared to AtariX. AtariX is more like STEmulator, TOS2WIN or Aranym in that it doesn't try to emulate a specific Atari. It's for GEM applications, fast and it's easy to get an Atari environment in high-res True Colour. That's why it was chosen for the Calamus SL Mac pack.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

Playmobil

Postby Playmobil » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 pm

would there be a chance to have a Magic PC with this source ?
If anyone can recompile it ...
And that it takes into account the recent PCs ?

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:27 pm

penguin wrote:
mzry wrote:

Hatari can't be compared to AtariX. AtariX is more like STEmulator, TOS2WIN or Aranym in that it doesn't try to emulate a specific Atari. It's for GEM applications, fast and it's easy to get an Atari environment in high-res True Colour. That's why it was chosen for the Calamus SL Mac pack.

Wow that's actually awesome, so basically you're saying this is a gem application layer, like a wrapper of sorts. So you can repackage gem applications inside other operating systems to run natively. Now I understand, and agree it is extremely cool :)

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:45 pm

penguin wrote:AtariX is more like STEmulator, TOS2WIN or Aranym in that it doesn't try to emulate a specific Atari.

That's not quite correct. TOS2WIN emulates an ST, STEmulator an STE and Aranym a Falcon. OTOH AtariX "only" emulates the OS, there is no attempt to emulate access to any hardware addresses. In fact, trying to do so will kill it.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:52 pm

mzry wrote:[So you can repackage gem applications inside other operating systems to run natively.

They don't run natively. The 68k code is emulated just like in other emulators. The OS itself is also written in 68k. Only the lowlevel bios routines, that would access the hardware on a real atari, are redirected to AtariX instead.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:07 am

Playmobil wrote:would there be a chance to have a Magic PC with this source ?

Unlikely. IIRC MagicPC was not developed by AK, so the source is not part of the archive. Maybe the Magic_OC.os can be reconstructed with some effort, assuming that large parts of the now open source were used for it, but the actual emulator was very different (containing a JIT compiler, for one thing), and that is completely missing. What's also still missing is NVDI, the archive only has rudimentary screen drivers, and those only in binary form.

If anyone can recompile it ...

Compiling the emulator itself is no big deal, it only spits a lot of warnings. What's troublesome is that it is using the long deprecated carbon API, and can only be compiled for 32bit, which will not be supported anymore in the next macOS release. Compiling the magcmagx.os was some more effort, but i finally managed it (that's how i created the french version above, it is not just a patched version).

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby arf » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:31 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
Playmobil wrote:would there be a chance to have a Magic PC with this source ?

Unlikely. IIRC MagicPC was not developed by AK,

MagiCPC was written by Franz Schmerbeck, who also wrote Signum years earlier.

ThorstenOtto wrote:Compiling the emulator itself is no big deal, it only spits a lot of warnings. What's troublesome is that it is using the long deprecated carbon API, and can only be compiled for 32bit, which will not be supported anymore in the next macOS release. Compiling the magcmagx.os was some more effort, but i finally managed it (that's how i created the french version above, it is not just a patched version).

Are you going to fork and publish your changes?

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:07 pm

OL wrote:MyAES use same format as Magic (I copy it!), you can generate keyboard with charview create by Roland Sevin,

Mint already has the ability to load keyboard tables, i don't quite understand why the AES has to do the same again???

A brief check reveals that the tables are not compatible to MiNT. Even worse, the Bioskeys() function behaves differently (Mint expects 7 tables + a deadkey table, MagiC expects 9 of them, and the alternate tables are different). The format used by MagiC is easier, but the one Mint uses was already implemented partly in TOS 4.04, so this is quite bad.

Let me know if it not work I could look at source code

The 68000 directory seems to be missing the charview.app. The one from the 68020 directory crashes with a bus-error when i run it on SingleTOS, and does nothing when i start it from Aranym+XaAES.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”