Falcon emulation in Hatari 2.0

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Falcon emulation in Hatari 2.0

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Hatari doesn't emulate SCSI yet (except as host native through NatFeats), only ACSI & IDE.

If the HD driver on the image is really looking for the SCSI disk, you could try few other things:
* Use *latest* EmuTOS release, it supports most partitions types, and doesn't need any HD driver to do that
* Run the driver from floppy disk instead of relying on the driver on the HD image itself. You could e.g. try demo of Uwe's HD Driver

Main thing is the do the tests on a *copy* of the HD image, because some of the tests might corrupt it.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:16 am

As it is only an image, and also not your boot drive, you don't have to attach it to an emulate SCSI port in Hatari. You might as well use an IDE or ACSI port for that. If you have already an image attached to the IDE master port, you can use the slave port for that. Since Hatari does not have a byteswap option (yet) you may have to swap the image before (depending on wether the hard disk driver in use already does that).

On linux you can do that with

Code: Select all

dd if=<your.img> of=<swapped.img> conv=swab

jonathanm
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jonathanm » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:11 am

I am using a copy of the disk image, no worries there. Will give the latest EmuTOS a try, thanks.

I have tried attaching the image to each of the IDE and the ACSI ports but the Falcon desktop still does not see it - it feels like it's the emulated HD driver that's getting in the way as Hatari clearly has the drive there ready to be used. Is there anything I can do within the emulated Falcon to help it along? I've tried Install Devices, not sure if that's the right thing to do or not, it just cleared away the old drive icons (from when the real drive was attached).

I don't have access to a unix machine at the moment, can the dd command be performed in a virtual machine? What does byteswap actually do in terms of the emulation?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:08 pm

jonathanm wrote:I don't have access to a unix machine at the moment, can the dd command be performed in a virtual machine?

What does byteswap actually do in terms of the emulation?

Yes.

From "dd" manual page:

Code: Select all

swab   swap every pair of input bytes

I'd recommend trying the EmuTOS first. Just download the 512k version and use that instead of the normal TOS version:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emutos ... s/0.9.9.1/

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”