https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: C64 Core

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:17 pm

This is not true.
You can reset with ctrl-lalt-ralt and cart will remain plugged.

Mares
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mares » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:36 pm

thanx I didn't know that

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:17 am

Anyone have a problem with the c64 core, after say loading a PRG or D64 .. then doing a CTL-ALT-ALT to reset the core (or using the reset button), the keyboard stops working correctly just resulting in gibberish, I tried a few older cores and the problem starts with the 19.02.20 version of the core (version 19,02.16 is the last most recent version that seems ok) and is also this issue seems to be in the current version of the core.. Once you reset the core the keyboard input stops working normally, .. sometimes if you ctl-alt-alt a couple times you might get the keyboard back to responding normally.. its a bit weird.. wondered if anyone notice this too?

edit: I noticed you dont even have to load a program just using the reset button or ctl-alt-alt can trigger the keyboard input problem. but running a program first then doing a reset seems to trigger it for certain.

Noggin
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Noggin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:31 pm

ericgus wrote:Anyone have a problem with the c64 core, after say loading a PRG or D64 .. then doing a CTL-ALT-ALT to reset the core (or using the reset button), the keyboard stops working correctly just resulting in gibberish

Yes, I have the same problem. For example, the usual jiffydos shortcut SHIFT-ESC (Run/Stop) doesn't work after a reset and instead switches between upper- and lowercase.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:36 am

Looks like Paradroyd figure out the issue somewhat.. seems the modifier keys get "stuck" and the core thinks the key is being held down (when its not)

seems if you try tapping either (or) both alternatively the left CTL or the left ALT a few times it will eventually restore the functionality when it gets messed up after restarting the core.. He mentioned other cores sometimes are afflicted with this issue as well (FXcast atari st core being one he mentioned).. hopefully he will post a reply and explain his findings in detail but it seems to be a bug with the keyboard handler ..

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:37 am

ericgus wrote:Looks like Paradroyd figure out the issue somewhat.. seems the modifier keys get "stuck" and the core thinks the key is being held down (when its not)

seems if you try tapping either (or) both alternatively the left CTL or the left ALT a few times it will eventually restore the functionality when it gets messed up after restarting the core.. He mentioned other cores sometimes are afflicted with this issue as well (FXcast atari st core being one he mentioned).. hopefully he will post a reply and explain his findings in detail but it seems to be a bug with the keyboard handler ..

Basically, it's any modifier key that can get stuck. It could be either ALT key. Sometimes the CONTROL key or even one of the shift keys, though if it happens with one of the shift kys things will generally still work, you'll just have caps when you shouldn't. The problem seems to be that it's sometimes missing the key-up event(s) when the core resets. Tapping whichever modifier key is "stuck" will send the proper key-up event and release it.

I've really only seen this particular problem on the 64 core (though it could exist elsewhere).. The input issue I've seen on FXcast is a completely different (probably unrelated) problem.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 am

i will fix it.

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Sorgelig wrote:i will fix it.

Thanks!
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Btw, before i fix, the following way make the reset without sticky keys: press LALT+LCTRL and while holding them quickly press the RALT and release. Then release LALT and LCTRL.
I always reset this way - that's why i never encountered sticky keys. If i release LALT+LCTRL first and the release RALT then i get sticky CTRL.
I have no idea yet which part of system or core causes this problem.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Btw, before i fix, the following way make the reset without sticky keys: press LALT+LCTRL and while holding them quickly press the RALT and release. Then release LALT and LCTRL.
I always reset this way - that's why i never encountered sticky keys. If i release LALT+LCTRL first and the release RALT then i get sticky CTRL.
I have no idea yet which part of system or core causes this problem.

for what its worth, I tested previous versions of the core and the problem seems to surface with the 19.02.20 version and all the ones after, so perhaps its specific to the core.

Return to “MiSTer”