Help Finding a Game

Game requests go here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

jruark56
Atari freak
Atari freak

Help Finding a Game

Postby jruark56 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 pm

I am trying to find a game for the ST. I played it back in the day. The game was for a helicopter to drop bombs into a canyon and destroy bricks below. If I remember correctly the helicopter would come in from the right on one pass and then come in from the left on the next pass. I think the game used a joystick to release the bombs, but I could be mistaken. The game was in color and I suspect it was in low resolution. You would lose a helicopter if you did not destroy a brick on each pass. You had a limited number of helicopters.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Russ Ruark Jr.

Skarg
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Help Finding a Game

Postby Skarg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 am

Sounds a bit like Canyon Bomber for the Atari 2600. I don't remember such a thing on the ST.

jruark56
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jruark56 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:31 am

Skarg,
I can definitely confirm that this game was played on the ST. It may have been on some public domain disk i had back in the day.
Thanks for the reply, though. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would do more than just look at the topic.
I am still actively searching for this game and will certainly report back here, if I find it.
Russ Ruark Jr.

tteclado
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby tteclado » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:14 am

jruark56
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jruark56 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:18 am

tteclado,
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the graphics for that game are waaay too fancy for the game I remember. This game was very simple graphically. Just some canyon walls, a set of different colored blocks at the bottom, and the darn helicopter flying above the canyon walls.
The entry on Atarimania does trigger an idea, though. This game may have been an 8-bit translation up to the ST. I just can't remember that far back.
Russ Ruark Jr.

jruark56
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jruark56 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 am

All,
Well... I have found the exact game. Turns out, I did not look extensively on Atarimania for this title. The game is called Canyon Bombing and runs on an ST (of some flavor). Now for the bad news, I can't figure out a configuration for either Steem or Hatari that will allow this game to load. It reads to sector 5 on side 1 and then locks up.
Does anyone know the correct config for this game?
Russ Ruark Jr.

jruark56
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jruark56 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 am

All,
And we have a winner...! Turns out this game needs TOS 1.00, an ST with 512kb. I also discovered that the MSA file format would not allow for a successful run. I used the MSA converter on the image (converted to .st) and viola! Game loads and runs just like I remember it.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Without them, I would not have had my memory jogged or found the game on Atarimania.
Russ Ruark Jr.

Social Media

Return to “Games - Requests”