Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby BlockABoots » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Is there an easy way to make a larger system.hdf file?

albconde
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby albconde » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm

I have the problem with adf not loading if I use an amiga 500 config with kickrom 1.3, in my case with a kickrom 2.05 the adf load .
With mister_20181231 adf work with a500 config with kickrom 1.3

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:46 am

BlockABoots wrote:Is there an easy way to make a larger system.hdf file?

I know of no way to expand an existing HDF...

what you can do is create a new blank file int ehe MiSTer Linux shell. example: 4GB file (don't go larger)

#dd if=/dev/zero of=newsys.hdf bs=1K count=4M

then use HDToolbox to create partitions and then format the drive:

call it "NEWSYSTEM" or something other than system. You can later rename it.

You probably should not make the entire 4GB system, but rather maybe like 512mb SYSTEM or so and then create another one called "WORK" where you'll store your applications and whdload games. This is just kind of the Amiga standard configuration.

then with both HDs mounted in the Shell type:

COPY SYS: NEWSYSTEM: ALL
Last edited by BBond007 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 am

There is no limit of 4Gb on MiSTer. You can make like 16GB HDF.
But you need to know how to handle large disks and partitions on Amiga.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

Sorgelig wrote:There is no limit of 4Gb on MiSTer. You can make like 16GB HDF.
But you need to know how to handle large disks and partitions on Amiga.

I know, I just suggested to stay under 4GB for beginners :)

In Amiga terms, that pretty huge.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:46 pm

this build seems has less artifacts than released one:
Minimig.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thelatestmodel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby thelatestmodel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Still getting the "insert disk" prompt unfortunately. I've tried numerous Kickstarts, v1.2 and v1.3, I've tried the latest Minimig core, tried deleting Minimig config files, but all that seems to work is downgrading the MiSTer binary to 20181231. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:27 pm

I have 2 MiSTers = they are both working fine with ADF and HDF. So i have no idea what's wrong.

PsyFX
Atarian
Atarian

Postby PsyFX » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm

thelatestmodel wrote:Still getting the "insert disk" prompt unfortunately. I've tried numerous Kickstarts, v1.2 and v1.3, I've tried the latest Minimig core, tried deleting Minimig config files, but all that seems to work is downgrading the MiSTer binary to 20181231. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

I Updated to the latest cores and even trying out the provided the experimental? (less artifacts) from Sorgelig I still can't load ADFs (insert disk prompt). I've previously thoroughly tested, even a bare-bones install on a different brand size sd card. Could this be a hardware issue? such as the brand of usb otg hub (this is the only hardware variation I can think of)
I bought a cheap one from aliexpress months ago and I've had no issues with it so far (waiting for next gen usb hubs to be available) could this be the common factor between the "few" of us that are having this issue?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Micro-U ... 35eBf7KFM&

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 pm

You can try to use a previous version of the Minimig core. If that works then it would rule out a hardware problem.
I am the flux ninja

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 pm

Unless someone to who it doesn't work didn't find some more clues besides just replacing MiSTer binary i probably won't find the solution.

Or may be someone with several MiSTers will find that one board works but other doesn't then at least it can be treated as core stability problem. But it less likely as already several core builds don't work for some users.

So, it looks like some users do something special. May be it's usual for them but unusual for me.

laserdisc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby laserdisc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:49 am

thelatestmodel wrote:Still getting the "insert disk" prompt unfortunately. I've tried numerous Kickstarts, v1.2 and v1.3, I've tried the latest Minimig core, tried deleting Minimig config files, but all that seems to work is downgrading the MiSTer binary to 20181231. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

If I try to boot the demo "Spaceballs State of the Art" using Amiga 500 specs with OCS set in "chipset" using Kickstart 1.3 rom I get this behaviour. But if I use Kickstart 2.04, it works, smooth as butter.
For reference I'm using all the latest MiSTer releases. OCS-Amiga500, CPU 68000, 512k chip ram, 512k slow ram.
I also tested the exact same Spaceballs ADF file on Amiga Forever 8 replicating the same setup as closely as possible using KS1.3 and that works fine although it jitters even on an i7-6700k/GTX1080 GPU #FPGAisBest.

Tried running Stunt Car Racer. Using the same ADF file for consistency, I ran it under AmigaForever 8 (using same config) and it runs with no issue.
On Minimig with KS1.3 the floppy hand appears if I swap disks, hand goes away then returns. However now I change it to KS2.04 as I did with "Spaceballs" and it gives me a "Software Failure" Error 8000:000B Task: 00C0BBC8.

Same test again only with Space Quest II, under emulation using KS1.3 it works, however under KS1.3 in Minimig same result as the first 2 tests. But under KS2.04 in Minimig it runs without issue.

Additional Info
I'm pulling Kickstart roms from Amiga Forever 8 which seems they've done away with the rom.key, I just pop the rom file directly and it works, no rom.key in the root directory.

Tripmonkeyuk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tripmonkeyuk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 am

JimDrew wrote:You can try to use a previous version of the Minimig core. If that works then it would rule out a hardware problem.

True.
I've got the proper USB board, IO board and I'm using a 5V/4Amp power supply. My setup is about as legit as it can get.

I'm away for a day or two. If the problems not figured out by then, I'll take all my setup apart and rebuild it all from scratch without using the updater etc. and see if it happens again.

SegaMan
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SegaMan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Got a vertical line on the right side with the latest core (HDMI 1080p).

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 pm

SegaMan wrote:Got a vertical line on the right side with the latest core (HDMI 1080p).

I'm seeing the same thing.

Grabulosaure
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Grabulosaure » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 pm

A few questions :
- Are the images truncated or is the extra line floating beyond the right border ?
- What is the input resolution ?
- Do you get the line for all aspect ratios 4/3, 16/9 ?
- Do you get the line with all interpolation modes, including "nearest" ?

albconde
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby albconde » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:04 pm

In my case the problem with adf with kick rom 1.3 start in comit f344ac9 (Fix the warnings).

The problem is with the variable dsklen , in minimig_fdd.cpp .

If uncoment the three lines (169, 204 and 221 ) in this file, and compile MiSTer file (last version) , the adf load.

In the attachments i put a version of last mister (release 20190112) with this changes , some other people with the problem of adf not loading can test this version ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 pm

So is there a way to make the games fit the screen, i get full screen on the OS but as soon as a game loads the screen doesnt fit the height of the display?

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Grabulosaure wrote:A few questions :
- Are the images truncated or is the extra line floating beyond the right border ?
- What is the input resolution ?
- Do you get the line for all aspect ratios 4/3, 16/9 ?
- Do you get the line with all interpolation modes, including "nearest" ?

It's extra image data, not anything truncated.

According to the MiSTer OSD desktop shot is 720x270, 15.80KHz 50.5 Hz / Tinylauncher shot is 360x270 15.80KHz 50.5Hz. Output is 1920x1080 50.5Hz

It may be getting shoved off the right hand side of the screen in 16:9 its difficult to tell. However, in 4:3 setting Video area : by Blank+ seems to make the extra line disappear.

Custom HDMI Scaler Filters? Yes, the extra line seems to appear in all of them.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm

This also seems to have appeared in the C64 core as well, original or wide aspect.

Grabulosaure
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Grabulosaure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 am

SegaMan wrote:Got a vertical line on the right side with the latest core (HDMI 1080p).

remowilliams wrote:This also seems to have appeared in the C64 core as well, original or wide aspect.

Just tried with C64. The "floating" line is actually the last pixel of the border, it seems separate with black borders.
Probably an issue in the input part of the scaler for some resolutions. Will investigate.

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 am

albconde wrote:In my case the problem with adf with kick rom 1.3 start in comit f344ac9 (Fix the warnings).

The problem is with the variable dsklen , in minimig_fdd.cpp .

If uncoment the three lines (169, 204 and 221 ) in this file, and compile MiSTer file (last version) , the adf load.

In the attachments i put a version of last mister (release 20190112) with this changes , some other people with the problem of adf not loading can test this version ?

I noticed this problem last night while working with something else, and didn't report it because I wanted to investigate further.

I can confirm that I had the same problem. I first noticed it on Kickstart 1.3, but after some testing, I also had the same problem on Kickstart 1.2.

Kickstart 2.04 and kickstart 3.1 Floppies seem to work as expected on both 2.04 and 3.1 work fine with the standard MiSTer_20190112, but (for me, at least), it seems to not see any ADFs as valid for booting with KS1.2 or KS1.3. This seems to be the case regardless of floppy turbo setting, and memory or chipset settings.

When I "insert" the ADF, the screen blanks for a second or two like like it's trying to read it, but almost immediately goes back to the "insert disk" animation, as if it sees the disk as invalid or non-bootable.

The test version of MiSTer_20190112 that you attached fixes that problem. KS1.2 and KS1.3 disks are immediately recognized on insert and boot normally on my MiSTer.

I have not tested extensively, and have no idea if it breaks anything else, but it does fix that particular problem, at least.

In case the information is useful, my default settings for Amiga/Minimig are:

- Start up in Kickstart 1.3
- hard drive interfaces off
- Floppy turbo on,
- 68000 CPU
- Turbo: none
- Video :NTSC
- Chipset: OCS-A500
- C32Pad: Off
- Joy Swap: off
- Chip :512K
- Slow: 512K
- ROM :Kickstart 1.3
- HRTMon: Disabled
(I don't think the A/V settings are relevant if you care, ask)

I normally choose another much more modern config after booting, but the above usually boots very fast, and is OK for quick gaming, so that's what I start with.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

witchmaster
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby witchmaster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am

Grabulosaure wrote:

remowilliams wrote:This also seems to have appeared in the C64 core as well, original or wide aspect.

Just tried with C64. The "floating" line is actually the last pixel of the border, it seems separate with black borders.
Probably an issue in the input part of the scaler for some resolutions. Will investigate.

I noticed the same thing on the Genesis core recently, don't know if it has been fixed already.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi everyone ! Any knows if Rok Krajnc is still around ? Would he be interested to carry on development if someone donated a board to him ? He did some great job a couple years back, it's sad his efforts seem unfinished to close to perfection :)

I'm sure he could set up a Patreon ;)
Last edited by mahen on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

ch570512
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ch570512 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Paradroyd wrote:Kickstart 2.04 and kickstart 3.1 Floppies seem to work as expected on both 2.04 and 3.1 work fine with the standard MiSTer_20190112, but (for me, at least), it seems to not see any ADFs as valid for booting with KS1.2 or KS1.3. This seems to be the case regardless of floppy turbo setting, and memory or chipset settings.

When I "insert" the ADF, the screen blanks for a second or two like like it's trying to read it, but almost immediately goes back to the "insert disk" animation, as if it sees the disk as invalid or non-bootable.

Same here. I tried some older builds of minimig and they all don't boot with Kick1.3 anymore. So I guess it's a problem with MiSTer_20190112 itself. Hope this helps.

Edit: Went back to MiSTer_20181231 and it boots again.

Return to “MiSTer”