Falcon & Games

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sturm
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Falcon & Games

Postby Sturm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Found this interesting article in the french "ST Magazine" n°72. It's about Falcon and games, and they provide a listing in ASM to help fixing compatibility issues.

http://www.abandonware-magazines.org/af ... &album=oui
(from page 40 onwards)
Do you think it is useful ? (Before I try to type it)

It it the same kind of trick used by Klapauzius and others ?

simonsunnyboy

Re: Falcon & Games

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:25 pm

If it is French noone can tell xD

How about a translation to English?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Sturm

Postby Sturm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Noone can tell just by looking at the listing ? :p

Basically it says this program reconfigures the Falcon just before sector booting:

It installs itself at $300000 after having reconfigured the computer in order it only sees one or 2 megs ram.
Then you have to reset and execute a sector boot on a disk: this one will call the aformentioned program at $300000 which will execute the sector boot in order to launch the game, after having reconfigured the Falcon.

sorry for the poor translation, the original is quite bad written to begin with :p

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Is this similar to what programs like Backwards does? I know there are several sites where people have patched games to work on the later STs. When I first got my TT it sucked because about 80% of the software I had for it didn't work. Now a lot of it works just fine.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am

I don't see anything out of ordinary -- setting up the sound system, switching the cache off, setting up the Blitter and CPU to 8 MHz, installing its own exception vectors. The only interesting thing would be to know how exactly he is reconfiguring the PMMU and why.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 am

mikro wrote:I don't see anything out of ordinary -- setting up the sound system, switching the cache off, setting up the Blitter and CPU to 8 MHz, installing its own exception vectors. The only interesting thing would be to know how exactly he is reconfiguring the PMMU and why.

He's just moving the PMMU table at a higher point in ram so there'll be less chance of games clobbering it. As you probably know it's located at $700-$7ff area which is quite low.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”