VanillaMiNT has finally been updated

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: VanillaMiNT has finally been updated

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:28 pm

E.g. resolution enhancers on Falcon, some has to run after MiNT and some before.

But you don't need such things when running in an emulator.

Running NVDI after MiNT does not work, atleast not on any of my machines.

It works when you only need the GDOS part of it. I do that occasionally, and use fVDI at the same time for the screen driver.

Boxkite must run before MiNT

Boxkite was always problematic, even on plain ST.

while the Afterburner/Milan/Hades FPU-emulation has to run *after*.

Same as above. No need for such things in an emulator.

Feel free to install and modify VanillaMiNT on any kind of hardware or emulation, it can be fettled to work on "anything" but you're on your own :)

That might be true. I cannot tell how i would call my installation, basically it is a self-compiled MiNT kernel, and configuration files adjusted to my needs. None of this would work on real hardware, and it took me some time in the beginning to figure it out. But having everything on the host side has the big advantage that you can edit the configuration files there, without the hassle to mount/unmount the boot disk image every time, maybe even having to byte-swap it first before doing so.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:44 pm

frank.lukas wrote:What about a Version for the 68000 CPU ?

A Mega ST or a MEGA STE with a Magnum ST or a MonSTer with 10 or 12MB of Ram should be fine for MiNT/XaAES ...

I adapt VanillaMiNT to my Atari 4MB Mega STE and it works well, slow but well.

The Tools are all 020/030 code, thats bad ...
Last edited by frank.lukas on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:45 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
E.g. resolution enhancers on Falcon, some has to run after MiNT and some before.

But you don't need such things when running in an emulator.

You do if you want to use custom resolutions on Videl emulation, atleast in ARAnyM. I always use Videl emulation on ARAnyM, too much pain with fVDI.

Running NVDI after MiNT does not work, atleast not on any of my machines.

ThorstenOtto wrote:It works when you only need the GDOS part of it. I do that occasionally, and use fVDI at the same time for the screen driver.

See above.

ThorstenOtto wrote:Boxkite was always problematic, even on plain ST.

Boxkite works fine, as long as it's started before MiNT :D

Anyway, just to make this clear: VanillaMiNT is *not* made for nor tested on any emulator. It may or may not work, but you might have to modify it.

* Screenmode tool is made for original ST, TT and Falcon video hardware, no support for graphics cards (ARAnyM host graphics falls into that category).
* Network configuration tool may or may not work with emulated network interfaces. Not tested, atleast not by me.
* VanillaMiNT kernel may lack features needed by the emulator, e.g. host filesystem access and bootstrapping in ARAnyM.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:46 pm

frank.lukas wrote:
frank.lukas wrote:What about a Version for the 68000 CPU ?

A Mega ST or a MEGA STE with a Magnum ST or a MonSTer with 10 or 12MB of Ram should be fine for MiNT/XaAES ...

I adapt VanillaMiNT to my Atari 4MB Mega STE and it works well, slow but well ...

Yes, you can boot and use VanillaMiNT on a 68000 with the appropriate kernel and kernel modules. However, the VanillaMiNT tools (video settings, network configuration, KeyEdit) only works on 020 and up.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:57 pm

There are 900kB free Ram. Thats fine ...

Network Conf make I manually and for video setting there is no need.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Social Media

Return to “Applications”