Vampire 2 type hardwar for ST and why I want it.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

chris2029
Atarian
Atarian

Vampire 2 type hardwar for ST and why I want it.

Postby chris2029 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:28 pm

FPGA board to turn your real ST/STE into a falcon or high end Amiga?
[smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif] [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_11.gif] [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_16.gif]

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Vampire 2 type hardwar for ST and why I want it.

Postby alexh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:39 pm

The Apollo Core inside the vampire 2 fpga board is closed source and so not going to be available to us any time soon
Last edited by alexh on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Why would you want to degrade your old computer to an intelligent keyboard?

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Amiga people don't play well within their own community. They cannot play well with others. We will never see the Vampire on other platforms. They're trying to make money from it. Another annoying thing is the uptick in A600 prices because of this project. I will maybe be interested when it's properly 68020 compatible. It isn't at the moment.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:56 pm

For me personally, if it's not running on real original hardware (or of the period hardware upgrades), perhaps for the purposes of wanting a faster machine that can use the the old/updated OS and apps, why not just run it on an emulator? Then you can run what you want on fast and cheap modern hardware.
Obviously, each to their own, I just don't understand the driver behind it.
But then I don't understand the driver behind "modern" retro consoles on Kickstarter when a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie does the same job...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:24 pm

EmuTOS is already running on Amiga computers and also MiNT+XaAES. Some more software development to be able to run EmuTOS in all amiga resolutions and you will be able to use Amiga with Vampire 2 as fast Atari clone. If you want fast Atari clone then your best option is FireBee computer. It is open source also as hardware platform and you can modify FPGA to make it as fast and very compatible with old original Atari models. But no FPGA developers are interested into that :(

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Last edited by lp on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldskool
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Oldskool » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:08 pm

My friend has one and I played with the vampire v2 a bit. It's pretty cool.
In an Amiga it also makes some sense. There is a bunch of games, demos, emulators and other stuff which can use this power. And it's very compatible.
Do I want one. Ofcourse. I ordered one last year.
Do I want one in my Atari.... No
For me the ultimate Atari is a STE with a monster expansion installed. But that's just me.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:09 pm

lp wrote:From their wiki:
All instructions from MC68000 to MC68060 are supported, except rare ones.
The APOLLO core provides some Motorola ColdFire instructions.
64-Bits instructions - The instructions are very similar to the SSE / ALTIVEC version of them.

My opinion, probably good thing its closed source. I find the design rather a messy mishmash of stuff. A cpu that doesn't want to be any particular cpu. It's a recipe for program A working but program B fails because it uses one rare instruction. They never liked the coldfire, why add coldfire opcodes, what amiga user cares or would even use them? From what I understand of it no MMU either. Don't get me wrong, I've watched a vampire review, and yes it seems to make a a600 usable. But would I want it in my atari, no. Give me a proper full 030 core with an MMU and make it go crazy fast. :lol:

Give me a Falcon with 25-50 mhz 030 in a Mega ST form factor case! I'd buy that!

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:28 pm

I think the Vampire is a great idea, but given the limited resources (as in developers) on this platform it'd have to be open to succeed on the Atari.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:44 am

I'm going to order a Vampire for my A600, and I'd love to have one for my ST. I like the concept, if something like this ever was made for the ST it should be the best FAST Atari yet.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:08 pm

in two years you will have Vampire board that you will put inside (any) empty Amiga case and connect:
-keyboard
-mouse
-floppy
-sdcard
-monitor
from outside it would look like Amiga :) but all would be inside one FPGA
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:58 am

Anima wrote:Why would you want to degrade your old computer to an intelligent keyboard?

Quoted for truth.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:21 pm

Anima wrote:Why would you want to degrade your old computer to an intelligent keyboard?

You mean like a Falcon with a CT60 and SuperVidel? Or my Falcon with Afterburner and graphics card?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Beetle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Beetle » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:08 pm

On the Apollo Core Forum Gunnar von Boehn posted:

AMIGA OS 3.1 / 3.5 / 3.9 runs fine.
MAC OS 7.x and 8.1 runs fine.
Now it would be nice to run ATARI TOS.

Anyone experienced in running ATARI TOS on AMIGA, who likes to show us how?

A job for EmuTOS?
What Atari do you want to modify today?

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 pm

joska wrote:

You mean like a Falcon with a CT60 and SuperVidel? Or my Falcon with Afterburner and graphics card?

quite true also...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:05 am

joska wrote:

The ST ram and disk drive still works... so it not like the CT60.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:08 am

wongck wrote:The ST ram and disk drive still works... so it not like the CT60.

Not sure what you mean. The Vampire, CT6x and Afterburner are CPU replacements with fast-RAM. Everything else on the motherboard is still functional - ST-RAM, floppy, sound, ACSI/SCSI/IDE, keyboard/midi, the MFP... The Vampire also has an optional graphics card (in the FPGA). Functionally it's is very similar to the CT6x/Afterburner, only with faster and more modern technology.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 pm

I was referring to the Atari becoming a keyboard.
Like you mentioned, it not, because the other components are still working.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:32 pm

joska wrote:

Yeah, sure, but there's a big difference. In the past you just wanted to use your Atari software as long as possible because the processor and graphics improvement was fast enough to compete with other systems of that time. So there was no real need to switch to a different system (PC/Mac) just for doing "normal work" on a computer. Today you most likely have a different and way faster computer for your regular work and so the only reason to improve your retro computer is, well, fun.

I only have a different view on that matter, i.e. I have fun working with the standard configurations to see what could have been done on them at the time when the Atari computers were brand new.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Anima wrote:fun.

I think you just answered your own question.

Anima wrote:I only have a different view on that matter, i.e. I have fun working with the standard configurations to see what could have been done on them at the time when the Atari computers were brand new.

For me a part of the retro experience is to try to use these machines. I'd like to compile faster, and edit sources more comfortably on a bigger screen. But I don't want to use my PC for that. Instead I'd like to squeeze more speed and better graphics out of my old machines. It's still a real Atari :)
Jo Even

chris2029
Atarian
Atarian

Postby chris2029 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:37 pm

joska wrote:

Anima wrote:I only have a different view on that matter, i.e. I have fun working with the standard configurations to see what could have been done on them at the time when the Atari computers were brand new.

For me a part of the retro experience is to try to use these machines. I'd like to compile faster, and edit sources more comfortably on a bigger screen. But I don't want to use my PC for that. Instead I'd like to squeeze more speed and better graphics out of my old machines. It's still a real Atari :)

Exactly my friend.
[smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif] [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_11.gif] [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_16.gif]

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:48 pm

I have no problem with modern add-ons, up to a point.

And by no problem I mean for myself, I don't mind what anyone else does as long as they're enjoying their hobby.

For example I would buy a new build accelerator card using an of the era processor (eg 040, 060) but I wouldn't buy an FPGA based one.
I also have no interest in stuff like the Firebee, despite its merits, although back in the day, when I was in my teens and lusting after a Falcon or TT I would definitely have bought one.
Again, some ppl love their Firebee's and that's great.

But I do make some exceptions, although it is begrudgingly. For example I will probably replace the hard drive in my TT with an SD card solution, and the external hard drive I considered for my STE is an SD. Not only is this much quieter (and cheaper it seems) but more importantly the mechanical hard drives of the right vintage are 25 years old now and living on borrowed time.
So even though I'm a bit of a period purist, I will make some allowances for the sake of keeping the stuff going.

Who knows, by the time any Vampire doodad would actually appear maybe I'd want to add one to the collection for completeness...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:13 am

EmpireAndrew wrote:I will probably replace the hard drive in my TT with an SD card solution, and the external hard drive I considered for my STE is an SD. Not only is this much quieter (and cheaper it seems) but more importantly the mechanical hard drives of the right vintage are 25 years old now and living on borrowed time.

Slightly off topic. Remember that your SD or CF won't contain any data 25 years later. They have a retention period (with no power) of about 5 years.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:13 am

joska wrote:

That's true. In fact I changed that word to "fun" just before I submitted the post. It's simply the reason why we do all of this.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”