wanted: QUIET fan for the Falcon

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here. Please use the sub forum if you are posting links to items you've found on ebay.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

wanted: QUIET fan for the Falcon

Postby Chandler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:10 pm

can anyone recommend a quiet fan for the Falcon? i've purchased a few various fans in the past from ebay only to find them noisey and price really does vary with these!

does anyone know of a known type that is quiet?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: wanted: QUIET fan for the Falcon

Postby Dal » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Just remove it. Mine runs fine without, I don't even think the position or direction of the fan does anything to affect the running temp of the core ICs anyhow.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Chandler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 pm

yeah i know what you're saying, it is pretty pointless but i just want to keep it original!

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:06 pm

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Chandler wrote:yeah i know what you're saying, it is pretty pointless but i just want to keep it original!

Just desolder the fan ground wire. You can always solder it back on if you want to revert to 100% stock condition. Much better than replacing the fan for a non-original part ;)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm

I got a Papst 412FM (40 by 10mm, 12VDC) from Digikey for $15.79 (now it is cheaper, just checked) plus shipping some time ago. It is quite nice but not completely silent though. There is still an audible fan noise but much less than before.

Hth. Cheers,
T.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 am

I got a son (140 cm, 28 kg ??) from me (& wife) for a lot of money ( now food & clothing is not getting cheaper, just checked) shipping not included, you need to provide your own transport. It is quite nice especially you get a hug after work but definitely not silent at all. There is a lot of audible noise but it does cover the sound of the Falcon fan because I never was hear the Falcon fan. :P
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby thgill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:37 am

I would just solder a small 75 ohm or so resistor in-line with the positive wire on the stock fan.

That should drop its speed down and make it far less distracting if not totally silent.
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Chandler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 am

thgill wrote:I would just solder a small 75 ohm or so resistor in-line with the positive wire on the stock fan.

That should drop its speed down and make it far less distracting if not totally silent.

thanks

how many watts should resistor be? as i guess it could generate some heat

thgill

Postby thgill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Chandler wrote:
thgill wrote:I would just solder a small 75 ohm or so resistor in-line with the positive wire on the stock fan.

thanks

how many watts should resistor be? as i guess it could generate some heat

I don't know the exact specs of the fan in the Falcon, but I couldn't imagine a 1/2 watt not being sufficient.
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”