A Recommended Atari ST

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Ozzy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: A Recommended Atari ST

Postby Ozzy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 pm

I think I'll be getting the Mega STe, I'll need the hard drive for a UltraSatan, and I'll need the extra speed for magiC. I'll definitely be using the UltraSatan for running patched games.
Thanks for all of the replys, I had no idea there was so many people on here! :D

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 pm

you can't go wrong with a Mega STE, I love mine. 8)
Music gear
Falcon 030 14MB, Cubase Audio, Soundpool FA8,FDI, MAudio 88 keystation, Roland S750, Yamaha A5000, Roland JV1080, Yamaha MG10, 1040STE, ZX Spectrum 128k.

https://soundcloud.com/softkitty123

Ozzy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Ozzy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 am

Scarlettkitten wrote:you can't go wrong with a Mega STE, I love mine. 8)
Hopefully I can find one in the next few months :o . What would be your favorite feature of the Mega?

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 am

The switchable 16MHz, really makes a difference in GEM, unzipping files and graphic apps, then you can switch it back to 8MHz when you want to run Spectrum 512/GFA raytrace or other software that relies on 8MHz timing. best of both worlds 8) Plus it has a VME expansion slot in case I ever find or someone make a graphics card in the future. And lets not forget it's the nicest looking case Atari ever made :)
Music gear
Falcon 030 14MB, Cubase Audio, Soundpool FA8,FDI, MAudio 88 keystation, Roland S750, Yamaha A5000, Roland JV1080, Yamaha MG10, 1040STE, ZX Spectrum 128k.

Ozzy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Ozzy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:37 am

Hopefully that 16MHz helps in Geneva. :) I can't wait, I wonder if they make any accelerators that fit in the VME slot? I'm definitely getting the Mega, it fits my needs much better for the price bump. And, I like higher tier stuff :lol:

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 am

Ozzy wrote:Hopefully that 16MHz helps in Geneva. :) I can't wait, I wonder if they make any accelerators that fit in the VME slot? I'm definitely getting the Mega, it fits my needs much better for the price bump. And, I like higher tier stuff :lol:

I've also owned a Mega STe - was a big regret selling it as it was such a cool bit of kit.

Isn't there a guy developing a new VME graphics card adaptor in Canada?

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am

I'm sure you'll enjoy your MegaSTe and there are a very small few patched games and demos which benefit from 16MHz (mainly 3D games)

Ozzy wrote:I think I'll be getting the Mega STe, I'll need the hard drive for a UltraSatan

I don't understand?? UltraSatan is an ACSI->SCSI adapter plus storage. So if you get an UltraSatan then you don't really need the internal ACSI->SCSI host adapter + hard drive of the MegaSTe.

FYI not all MegaSTe's came with the ACSI->SCSI host adapter. If you want an internal SCSI drive make sure it has one or budget to get one.

In the short term you can read/write a MegaSTe's SCSI hard drive with just a SCSI card in your PC which will cost far less than an UltraSatan.

One alternative to the flexibility of UltraSatan if you can find one cheap is a SCSI->IDE->CF adapter.

Ozzy wrote:I wonder if they make any accelerators that fit in the VME slot?

Not to my knowledge. I'm not even sure the cut down VME in the Atari would support 680x0 accelerators as it is only supports slaves. Not bus masters.
Last edited by alexh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 am

What I saw in Mega ST and Mega STE machines were batteries in rectangle plastic cases and wires+connector for MBO .
Leaking is really not usual by any decent brand. Well, there are always exceptions - like flaming Sony Lithium batteries in some cellar phones .
In my service practice I newer saw any damage caused by leaking battery - not talking about transistor radios and very cheap 1.5 V batteries. And even in such cases, damage was only corrosion of battery contacts, springs.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 pm

AtariZoll wrote:What I saw in Mega ST and Mega STE machines were batteries in rectangle plastic cases and wires+connector for MBO .
Leaking is really not usual by any decent brand. Well, there are always exceptions - like flaming Sony Lithium batteries in some cellar phones .
In my service practice I newer saw any damage caused by leaking battery - not talking about transistor radios and very cheap 1.5 V batteries. And even in such cases, damage was only corrosion of battery contacts, springs.

You've obviously not had much to do with Apples, Amigas and Acorns then! :lol:

I've had two Amigas with circuit boards which needed emergency works and an Acorn and 486 PC in a similar condition... :roll:
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Nikolas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Nicd accu harm electronic, it is far better to put one 3.6 cell accu and all works ok. It is kinda ok to put one cell LIion accu...
Lipo accu will be perfect coz of voltage

Chardged 1.2 nicd/nimh got 1.4 volts
(1.4*3=4,2volt)

3 cell nicd got 4.2-4,25 Volt
1 cell LIPO v max is 4.2 Volt
1 cell LIION v MAX is 4.1 Volt
If you guys expirience hardware problems.
1. Always remove chips if possible before soldering.
2. Resolder your hardware, check cables too.
3. If problem continue THEN must be faulty software.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.
My english may not be correct

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 am

Zogging Hell wrote:You've obviously not had much to do with Apples, Amigas and Acorns then! :lol:
I've had two Amigas with circuit boards which needed emergency works and an Acorn and 486 PC in a similar condition... :roll:

Yes. What I fixed most is C64 - they, and especially "Fat" version of were most broking computers. Then lot of Sinclair Spectrums, and only fixing few Ataris - mostly did upgrades for. Saw only couple Amigas opened.

"Nicd accu harm electronic, it is far better to put one 3.6 cell accu and all works ok. It is kinda ok to put one cell LIion accu...
Lipo accu will be perfect coz of voltage "
Hmm... 3.6 V accus were 3 x 1.2 NiCd, or later NiMh . Saying that Nocd accu harm is little over - all depends from case quality.

Ah, and bigger damage I saw from some 'leaking' was in TV from woman having cats in her dayroom :mrgreen:
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Official Ninja » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 pm

The battery in the Mega Ste is on a piece of velcro tape. I simply took them out of both of my Mega STe computers.

For HDD patched games the 16Mhz is a huge plus. Not always but it is nice.

You just have to make sure it has a ACSI card in it so you can hook up an UltraSatan.
(Or internal drive)

Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Official Ninja » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 pm

The battery in the Mega Ste is on a piece of velcro tape. I simply took them out of both of my Mega STe computers.

For HDD patched games the 16Mhz is a huge plus. Not always but it is nice.

You just have to make sure it has a ACSI card in it so you can hook up an UltraSatan.
(Or internal drive)

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Mega STEs have an optional ASCI to SCSI card, which is not required for Ultrasatan. I've took mine out, you just need to add jumper to the internal ACSI header to enable the external ACSI port. (8 jumpers)

Music gear

Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Official Ninja » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Scarlettkitten wrote:Mega STEs have an optional ASCI to SCSI card, which is not required for Ultrasatan. I've took mine out, you just need to add jumper to the internal ACSI header to enable the external ACSI port. (8 jumpers)

Very cool. Thanks for the post and the picture.

I had been told the card was needed to use the external ACSI port and always thought that was odd.

It was probably just me not understanding what I was told. :angel:

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Not tried the Mega STe, but with my STacy, which has the exact same card, if the
card is not in place, the external ACSI port doesn't work.

I'm sure there is a jumper somewhere on the motherboard that would probably
fix this, but with no actual ref. docs, I never was able to get it to work like
that. One of the reasons I was thrilled when Alan released his internal Mega
STe/STacy Ultrasatan cable. Replaced the card and didn't have to worry.

Of course, that's the STacy.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm

This is well known way of switching a MegaSTe to external ACSI. That's not even Scarlettkitten's picture ;)

http://atari.8bitchip.info/MegaSTEACSI.html

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 pm

alexh wrote:This is well known way of switching a MegaSTe to external ACSI. That's not even Scarlettkitten's picture ;)

Who cares if it wasn't my picture :roll: , I wasn't going to open my MEGASTE when there's a photo on the net showing the same thing.
Music gear

Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Official Ninja » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 am

Scarlettkitten wrote:
alexh wrote:This is well known way of switching a MegaSTe to external ACSI. That's not even Scarlettkitten's picture ;)

Who cares if it wasn't my picture :roll: , I wasn't going to open my MEGASTE when there's a photo on the net showing the same thing.

It certainty helped me learn more about my machine. So Thanks again.
Plus the mobo looks all dusty, good thing its not yours :lol:

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 pm

:lol: If that was my mobo I'd get cleaning OCD style :D
Music gear

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 am

DarkLord wrote:Not tried the Mega STe, but with my STacy, which has the exact same card, if the
card is not in place, the external ACSI port doesn't work.
I'm sure there is a jumper somewhere on the motherboard that would probably
fix this, but with no actual ref. docs, I never was able to get it to work like
that. One of the reasons I was thrilled when Alan released his internal Mega
STe/STacy Ultrasatan cable. Replaced the card and didn't have to worry.
Of course, that's the STacy.

Since internal adapters are same in Stacy and Mega STE, normal is that you need to do same if want to use external ACSI port when no adapter in machine.
The whole thing is because there is pass-thru line driver on internal board, so if you remove it, data lines are not connected to ext. ACSI - so need shortcuts.
I saw somewhere special bridge for that purpose. Of course jumpers are OK too, even if they spread dust :mrgreen:

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”