Creating an IDE HDD Image for Hatari

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v1.7

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Creating an IDE HDD Image for Hatari

Postby Triads » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Ive been trying to create a IDE HDD Image to use with Hatari, and have not had any luck finding out how.. The only instructions i've
been able to find are Linux commands.. I need to create an image using Windows.. Ive even looked for a premade image, with no
luck.. Any help would be appreciated..
Triads
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Creating an IDE HDD Image for Hatari

Postby alexh » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 am

I asked a few days ago and it turns out that Hatari doesn't support low-level, block based, hard disk controller emulation so the "IDE" bit of your question is irrelevant. It's just a "HDD Image".

I imagine that to make one all you need is a floppy disk image containing one of the three hard drive preparation tools. HDDriver (commercial), ICD Tools or... erm forgotton.

This is the thread where we discussed how to prep a hard drive using HDDriver.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18790
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby SofiST » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Creating working HD image for Hatari (or Steem) is 2 step process. First you need to make one empty file of desired size.
Max 2GB in case of Hatari and IDE, or 1GB in case of ACSI emulation. For instance with HxD editor (free).
Second step is partitoning and installing autoboot driver - with some proper tool. As freeware solution you may use AHDI driver. There are some others, but are not free (Hddriver) or are too old. Get AHDI here: http://ppera.07x.net/atari/GamexUsage.html (DL AHDI 6.04).
After it you may use under Hatari, with autoboot or even with loading driver from virtual floppy (ST image files).

Another way is to get prepared image file what is already partitioned and has installed autoboot driver.
May ask for it here: http://ppera.07x.net/forum/

Btw. Hddriver is not recommended for Hatari - because of some emulation issues with.
SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Triads » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for the replies.. Im at a loss as to what im doin wrong. I cannot get Cecile, AHDI, or any driver to recognize my blank HDD image.. sometimes i even get bombs.. I would like to have a premade image, but that doesnt help me to learn.. i'll keep trying until frustration sets in..

J
Triads
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SofiST » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Unfortunately, there are issues with hard disk emulation under Hatari (latest versions). Sometimes it just won't work.
And it stays for IDE and ACSI emulation. What version of Hatari you use ?

More reliable is Steem with Pasti, but only ACSI emulation.
SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Triads » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Im using the latest, which i believe is 1.3.1.. I can get asci to work in Hatari under ST/E emulation (downloaded their provided HDD image), but I cant get it recognised in Falcon mode.. I'll try STeem, i just figured Hatari was the latest/greatest out and most current.

J

Edit - I should clarify that im trying to create/use and IDE image in Falcon Emulation.. which i gather doesnt work?
Triads
Atarian
Atarian

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:26 pm

As the Falcon has no ACSI interface, ofcourse Hatari will only emulate ACSI in ST(e) mode.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org
simonsunnyboy

Return to Hatari