3 bombs / address error

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

boombang
Atarian
Atarian

3 bombs / address error

Postby boombang » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:21 pm

Hello all
I was recently given an Atari 520ST
I have no experience with them at all but I would like to get it running and experiment with using it for midi sequencing.
Anyway, on first power up, the floppy drive was making a nasty noise, so i opened it up and found that the rubber band was quite slack, so i replaced that and it seemed to slove the noise problem.
When i try to load a game from a disk on power up though it just displays three bombs, or sometimes loads up GEM, The floppy drive does seem to be reading the disks though because i can view the files of most disks in GEM.
Any help would be much appreciated
thanks

simbo

Re: 3 bombs / address error

Postby simbo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:45 am

is this the disks for it

the 520ST some was supplied with just a single sided drive 320k size later ones with 720k double sided

if the program wants the other side or the disk is too big as the machine will still read what files is on the disk then eeek...
also check that you seated the header back to it right and also for any bent pins
you may need to source a later drive or look for an external one on ebay
and fit is drive into your machine
i recently got two nice floppy drives from an old amstrad laptop brick

boombang
Atarian
Atarian

Postby boombang » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Simbo
I’ve check the manual and it states that the 520ST uses single-sided, double density; 135 tracks per inch. It also states that the maximum storage capacity is 360kb per disk. The disks I have used to test it are original st game disks, captain blood, street fighter, weird dreams and more. All seem to be in good condition
I should have been a bit more specific in my first post. Is it most likely that the 3 bomb/address error is related to the floppy disk drive? Or could it be something else? I don’t really want to repair or replace the drive only to find that it hasn't solved anything.
I have got an old 'Sony MPF920-E' drive out of a PC which I could use to replace the internal Atari floppy drive. I see quite a few people on this forum have used the same or a similar model, but the PCB pictures seem to differ quite a bit from mine, in particular, mine doesn’t have jumper pins on the back. Am I right in thinking that changing the jumper setting is all I have to do to get the drive basically working in the Atari? I think I can find the solder points on the 'Sony MPF920-E' PCB for the jumpers, are they labeled JC30 and JC31?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but I have searched the forums for a good guide on this but not really found a clear one. Probably more to do with my general lack of skill in circuitry and forums. :)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Original game disk doesn't necessarily qualify to be single sided. Many are - but not all. Often there is marking "Double sieded disk drive required" on the disk or in the manual.

Replacing the diskdrive with a doublesided one should be imperative as you cannot transfer sowftware easily to singlesided floppies. In the mean time you can tryt o look for an external diskdrive and check if that one reads ok. If the bombs persist it is unlikely to be the diskdrive.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

boombang
Atarian
Atarian

Postby boombang » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:42 pm

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!! :twisted:
thanks for the advice guys
I went ahead and soldered the points i guessed were the jumper points and it seems to have worked, now it loads all disks first time no problem.
But now i see theres more problems to overcome, like something to do with the disk change, it dosnt read the disk when you are told to insert a second disk when loading a game etc. I see other people have covered it in other posts.
Thats a job for another day though :)
Now my next mission is to figure out how to get some good music software for it off pc onto atari readable disks. I have read that it is possible to format a disk to DOS and then just copy files onto that, but when i attempt to format the disk using the cmd window in XP it tells me that format is unavailable in DOS. :?
Im just happy to know the machine is still alive though and im not flogging a dead horse :D

simbo

Postby simbo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:37 am

nice 1

address error = oops i cant find the address you pointed to = crash
becouse the memory isnt there or the floppy address isnt there
both qualify as an address error

:cheers:

a nice end

if you need a 720k floppy youll find heeps of them in old machines like amstard laptops commodore machines {turn the header round} some old mac all in one 68000 things etc..

most old 386 some 486 floppy units just need a jumper changed
some work anyway...

potluck but there are lists of working units online

i have a few and im sure there maybe one in the wiki

if not mug will add one or two for sure

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:09 am

simbo wrote:nice 1

address error = oops i cant find the address you pointed to = crash
becouse the memory isnt there

this is bus error.

address error is generated when you try to read Word or LongWord from odd address
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

simbo

Postby simbo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:36 am

rubbish

an address error is caused when you try to access an addressable block that doesnt exist

like looking for memory above the physical range

or trying to address a controller that isnt there {faulty chip} or
i think there is something like 5 levels of address errors in tos...
that all give 3 bombs

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”