Writing Atari ST programs onto floppies with PC

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

pjones1063
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Writing Atari ST programs onto floppies with PC

Postby pjones1063 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I purchased a USB floppy drive on Amazon that supports DS and DD disks for my Ubuntu laptop. First - I format the disk on my 1040 STf then stick the floppy in the USB drive. I use the linux dd command to copy .st floppy images onto the floppy drive. Works well if the .st image is valid:

$ sudo dd if=/path_to_imagefile of=/dev/sda

A second method I have used is to simply mount the formatted floppy on the Ubuntu laptop and copy the files directly to the floppy disk. The key seems to be formatted the disk on my 1040 STf. I have tried many disk VFAT/MSDOS formats from Ubuntu and none seems to work on the Atari but the USB floppy has no issues writing images or files to disks formatted on the Atari.

The third method I have used is Jim Mackenxie's Ghost Link "PC Dosbox" method found in his blog here:

https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2016/02 ... -pc-to-st/

The comments in the blog also explain how to use a null modem as a serial to TCP IP connector for accessing telnet Atari BBS's from an ST Running the TAZ terminal program - Great Fun!

pjones1063
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby pjones1063 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 pm

AlexH - I would be interested is seeing details on a "USB to Serial port" solution. I have used SIO2USB cable on my Atari 800 XL (running RespeQT on a Linux PC). It works very very well. It would be very cool if someone had a similar solution for 16/32 bit Atari systems.
Last edited by pjones1063 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjones1063
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby pjones1063 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:50 am

Another method I have used with DOSBOX and a serial cable:

https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2016/02 ... -pc-to-st/

chrisnova777
Atariator
Atariator

Postby chrisnova777 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm

is there such a thing as an external gotek? for people that dont want to mod their perfectly fine working floppy drive in their 1040STE..
does anyone make an external gotek floppy? (rather then a home user having to botch a perfectly working external floppy?)

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Mozartkugel » Tue May 07, 2019 11:10 am

Hi! Does anyone know if the info in the first post of this thread still up to date? I saw it was from 2007 and there was mention of WinXP and such. Does anyone know if it works in cmd on for example win 8.1, win 7 or win 10? I got an external PC floppy drive and I ordered a few DD floppies so looking to learn how to put ST games onto floppy now.

chrisnova777 wrote:is there such a thing as an external gotek? for people that dont want to mod their perfectly fine working floppy drive. does anyone make an external gotek floppy?

I was wondering that too a little while ago, and it seems there isn't one at this point at least. Perhaps you can find your answer(s) in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36684

z80andrew
Atarian
Atarian

Postby z80andrew » Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am

I use SerialDisk as a solution to this problem. You can use a PC over a serial link as a virtual disk which allows you to load the disk image in something like JayMSA, and write images to floppies directly on an Atari ST.

https://github.com/z80andrew/SerialDisk

(Full disclosure: I'm the author of SerialDisk)

I never had much luck writing ST images to floppies on a PC, especially with external USB floppy drives.

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Mozartkugel » Wed May 08, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks for the hints z80andrew! I'm still in the middle of experimenting with floppies, let's see how far it will take me before I start looking for other options :P

Social Media

Return to “Other emulators & tools”