Commander Blood

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Commander Blood

Postby Grunaki » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:12 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else had played this on the PC.

I played it years ago on my 486 and went right through it twice, but at the end they hint that there may be another way to complete the game.

I don't know if this is the case as it seems pretty linear, but I was just wondering if anyone else knew different..
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 pm

That is probably one of my favourite games ever released.

I believe that they are alluding to the sequel. There is in fact a third game in the "_ Blood" series. I've never found any evidence that it was released in english though, so I've never played it.

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Oooh! Challenge for the cracking/translating crews there! ;)

(Hey, they've done plenty on the SNES, so why not this??)

Here's a brief profile of the French Version

It's called "Big Bug Bang".

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:36 pm

I know. I totally wish that there was an effort to translate it. The only problem is, that I wouldn't trust most people to translate the game and leave all the strange humor intact. It would be a difficult task for anyone.

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:04 pm

In the Trivia section of that link I provided, they mention that there probably was an unreleased English translation of the game as Liam Gavin and Johan Robson were credited with the game's 'Adaptation' and Liam Gavin is an established translator.

Now if we could only get hold of someone who might have access to it and persuade them to release it as Abandonware... (The game's 11 years old now..) :wink:

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Or at least release the script, so I could hack it together myself.

My quick google searches couldn't find any information on how to contact either of these people though, only lists of their work.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:55 pm

I used to play Commander Blood on my PC... infact i still have the game :D
It was filled with bugs, i remember i needed to replay from the beginning all the time because i got nowhere at some points but it worked if i started again from beginning... so i never completed it but i got far and it was a really fun and entertaining game :)

NayusDante
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NayusDante » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:40 am

After so many years of playing Commander Blood, it's safe to say that I've gotten the $5 I paid for it in enjoyment. One of these days I'm gonna play Captain Blood, looking at which version to keep on my PSP right now. Big Bug Bang was always a mystery to me, I didn't even know for sure that it existed until now, but....

I found it! I've searched YEARS for this damn thing! Almost done downloading...

http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf_abandon/ltf_jeu.php?id=757&fic=liens
ImageImage

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:16 am

Those screenies are from 'Commander Blood' I believe.. I hope the actual file is 'Big Bug Bang'... 8O

NayusDante
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NayusDante » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:42 pm

It recycles a bit of content, but it's the real deal. From what little French I can comprehend, you basically have to repopulate the galaxy, with the goal being to recreate the Croolis, Izwals, and possibly Tromp. Neat, though. It's more of a simulation, with different planets to colonize.
ImageImage

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:04 pm

It does indeed reuse alot of content from Commander Blood, but it is a new game.

It's still in French though.

NayusDante
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NayusDante » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:00 pm

bullis1 wrote:It's still in French though.

So who's interested in translating it with me? I haven't had much of a chance to look for the scripts in the files, but I will as soon as I play through Commander Blood again, heh...
ImageImage

NayusDante
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NayusDante » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Well, found some stuff in DESCRIPT.DES, but the slightest change causes the game to fail to load anything. I changed some of the text on the opening TV channel, but that just made the static go on and off, much like an NES that can't read the dirty cartridge. I know that somebody wrote a program to view the video files in Commander Blood, so maybe he knows more about the system than I do. At any rate, the first step is to find a way to edit and dump the scripts, then we can get to work on translating and localizing the humor.
ImageImage

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:24 am

NayusDante wrote:Well, found some stuff in DESCRIPT.DES, but the slightest change causes the game to fail to load anything. I changed some of the text on the opening TV channel, but that just made the static go on and off, much like an NES that can't read the dirty cartridge. I know that somebody wrote a program to view the video files in Commander Blood, so maybe he knows more about the system than I do. At any rate, the first step is to find a way to edit and dump the scripts, then we can get to work on translating and localizing the humor.

I would seriously love to see this happen! :D

I know a fair bit of French so I may be able to help out a little.. I don't know much about coding and my free time is a bit limited as I have a young 'un, but if you need someone to bounce ideas off, I'm your guy! :)

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:13 pm

NayusDante wrote:Well, found some stuff in DESCRIPT.DES, but the slightest change causes the game to fail to load anything.

You should edit the files using a hex editor, not a text editor. It will most likely prevent this problem, as you won't mess with the file's size, length, or indexes.

NayusDante
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NayusDante » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:36 pm

That seems to work. I successfully changed the 1995 in the intro to 2007. What's a good hex editor to use for this sort of thing?
ImageImage

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:08 pm

Well, my all time fave would be "HexEd 1.6," aka "hexed16", a free DOS program which I cannot find anywhere on the internet anymore. I do have it on the hard-disk of my home computer though, so I could probably get it for you if you want it.

Many people seem to like a program called Hex Workshop, but I've never used it.

A very simple Windows-based hex editor that has been recommended to me lately would be "BZ." I've used it to hack a few things, and it's pretty easy to use. It does everything that you'd need for text-editing.

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:13 pm

I use UltraEdit for all sorts from Hex Editing to HTML source editing.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Any updates, Nayus?

NayusDante
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NayusDante » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:32 pm

Not yet. I'm gonna work on it eventually, but it would help if some others pitched in. It would be best to compile a complete script and organize it by resource file, then translate and localize. The last step would be the actual insertion of the data. DESCRIPT is the only file I've really looked at, since it's the first thing you see in the game (mainly just the intro video).
ImageImage

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”