Foldrxxx and Cachexxx - best practice ? tips ?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Foldrxxx and Cachexxx - best practice ? tips ?

Postby spiny » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm

I have a satandisk unit, blah blah etc with a 512meg card.

I'm currently moving tons of files to it and organising them into folders and so on.

I have both 'fixes' installed as:

foldr200.prg

and

cache100.prg

is this too high ? too low ?

I have a 4meg STe, so RAM isn't really a problem, but I'd like to avoid crashes / possible corruption from creating too many folders - it's possible I will end up with more than 200 at some point, for example, I'm copying acrross a load of disk mags into their own folders, so already i have 20 Maggie folders and nearly 20 UCM folders, not to mention Ledgers and other stuff I will eventuially install.

Is there an upper limit on folders ? I assume 999 is the max i can set foldrxxx.prg to, but will that cause TOS to crash ?

cheers :D

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:01 pm

Foldrxxx.prg reserves ram space for as many folders as you specify (up to 999 or maybe more, though I don't think so - just don't know it) plus fourty which TOS itself reserves, which is hardcoded in ROM I believe.
Reserving space for more than fourty folders just uses ram, and is concerning only opened folders within one session.

Cachennn.prg is using ram space for cacheing which speeds up read/ write accesses.
Don't know about reasonable cache sizes though.

Both programs are just needed with earlier TOS versions iirc.

Don't blame me for my memory being bad, if I should be wrong.
Must be the infamous STe DMA issue then. :mrgreen:
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:18 pm

The easy way around this problem is to have your Maggie folders inside a folder called Maggie and UCM folders inside a folder called UCM. That way you'll only have 20 folders (so far) in each main folder. The folder problem only arises if you have more than 200 folders within the same root/directory.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:20 pm

PaulB wrote:The easy way around this problem is to have your Maggie folders inside a folder called Maggie and UCM folders inside a folder called UCM. That way you'll only have 20 folders (so far) in each main folder. The folder problem only arises if you have more than 200 folders within the same root/directory.

cool, thats what I wanted to know :)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:46 am

IIRC the 40 folder bug has been fixed in TOS 2.0x and up? If so I don't see a need to care much for my setup ;)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:12 am

simonsunnyboy wrote:IIRC the 40 folder bug has been fixed in TOS 2.0x and up? If so I don't see a need to care much for my setup ;)

I have both 2.06 and 1.62 installed on my STe, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't corrupt the partitions on my SD card by mistake :)

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:13 am

Actually, the folderbug was kind of fixed in TOS 1.04/1.6x. Previous TOS would cluck up your harddrive if the folderbug was triggered, making the directories garbage.

In TOS 1.04/1.6x TOS will halt if the limit is reached, protecting the harddrive but require a reboot. So for you it is not necessary, although it might save you from a reboot or two.

cachennn.prg is not necessary, it is just to improve speed.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”