Falcon flat screen

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Falcon flat screen

Postby Mr.JT » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:15 am

Is there anyway of connecting a flat screen to my falcon? ie. does a dvi/vga converter box exist? If i could connect it to my mac dvi flat panel that'd be incredible!! :D

Cheers

JT

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:54 am

I know a simple adaptor exists to attach a VGA monitor to a DVI socket on a PC so presumably this would also work the other way around allowing a DVI monitor to be attached to a VGA socket. Assuming this is the case there are freely available VGA adapters for Falcons so hopefully that would do the job.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:20 am

this site offers a converter (for quite a price) as it is not simply a matter of connecting the cables apparently...

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_ ... erter.html

But it suggests that the computer must support the native resolution of the screen. The minimum of most LCDs i believe is 800x600 which is higher than the falcon (640x480) can manage... Can anyone shed anymore light on this/has anyone actually managed it. With a falcon or ST?

Cheers

JT

mouse_master
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mouse_master » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Well.....

I have my Falcon hooked up to a 42 Plasma TV through the VGA port. It works pretty well, do have some screen shifting problems sometimes, but that is correctable with the TV.

I use 800x600 with 256 colors most of the time, using centvid3 (software) to allow for that resolution. Thats the desktop in Xaaes/TeraDesk, and also regular TOS. Other than that, STHigh (for speed) without the AES going in MiNT. Why no AES sometimes? More RAM for development. :)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:43 pm

But it suggests that the computer must support the native resolution of the screen. The minimum of most LCDs i believe is 800x600 which is higher than the falcon (640x480) can manage... Can anyone shed anymore light on this/has anyone actually managed it. With a falcon or ST?

YES!!

My little Proview 15 inch LCD was just fine with every resolution, including ST modes, as well as standard Falcy VGA and extended Centscreen modes.

The only reservation I'd have with an LCD display is with the frequency. You have to treat an LCD/SVGA as if it were an old fixed-frequency 60hz screen, which is fine for the majority of stuff, but some games and demos like to use weird screen-busting 100hz modes, which an LCD cannot display.

So a good idea to keep a good quality CRT in reserve ;-)
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:16 pm

CiH wrote:
YES!!

My little Proview 15 inch LCD was just fine with every resolution, including ST modes, as well as standard Falcy VGA and extended Centscreen modes.

Sounds good...what exact model is the proview you have? I want to buy a cheap lcd from ebay but am worried it might not work. would it be safe to assume any monitor that quotes a max resolution of only 1024x768 can probably handle low res (ie 640x480)? now if i could just find out if my mac monitor could handle an analogue input....

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:51 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but all (PC type) monitors can do 640x480 as otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the BIOS screen when you boot up your PC :?
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:49 am

unseenmenace wrote:all (PC type) monitors can do 640x480 as otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the BIOS screen when you boot up your PC :?

That is very true!

030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 030falcon030 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:57 pm

my falcon works fine on my 17 inch lcd monitor.
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb w/ ct63 + ctpci

Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Womble » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:41 am

My falc wouldnt work on my 19" LCD screen - just got an "out of range" message up. I dont own a CRT vga screen so have never confirmed that the falcs vga works. I have the 2 pins on the adaptor wired to set the output to VGA but I have never seen it work.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:00 pm

Womble, it seems to me that your falcon has been set up for rgb. I' ve tried mine at about 5 different svga monitors (lcd, tft, crt) and I had no problem. You might need to get a new adaptor.
The falcon seems to provide a 640x480 resolution no matter what the selected from desktop resolution is (put the falcon on st low and use the status button on your monitor). That way you can play a lot of st games on a svga monitor. However there are some falcon productions that demand for rgb.
However I wouldn't advice on a tft for the falcon. If I were you I would go for a 15" crt that can do 100Hz...
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Womble » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:12 pm

I built my own adaptor and have double checked that M1 and M2 are set to indicate VGA, I have even wired in a switch to allow me to select all three modes (bar TV), and the LCD still says its out of range.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:20 pm

The only other thing I can think off is probably something to do with the nvram settings. Try to set it for vga. If that also fails I can't say what the problem is. One test you can make is switching monitors while on. If the falcon reboots than you can be sure your adaptor works.
My Atari blog

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42 pm

I don't own a Falcon so can't say for sure but maybe the lcd monitor you have isn't capable of syncing as low as the falcon screen refresh outputs. Hence the out of range message.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:08 am

PaulB wrote:I don't own a Falcon so can't say for sure but maybe the lcd monitor you have isn't capable of syncing as low as the falcon screen refresh outputs. Hence the out of range message.

Yes PaulB that is what happens. But this shouldn't happen. The falcon has three different types of display. SVGA and RGB (color and mono). The SVGA mode is as standard as it gets. So an lcd monitor should display it. The picture is really stable and much better than in a CRT monitor but a CRT monitor is a better choice beause of the fact that many demos such as Hmmm, _ , out use a videl trick to set the resolution into something with 100Hz. That I' ve read makes the data transfer faster even then in RGB (mode). And since the falcon nowdays is mostly about demos it's sad not to be able to view them. For an article regarding flat screens and the falcon check here:
http://alive.atari.org/alive7/lcd.php
My Atari blog

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”