Mister SNES port to MIST possible?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Mister SNES port to MIST possible?

Postby slingshot » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:08 pm

ManuFerHi wrote:I don't think it's the frequency, I've tried to raise from 128.92 to 133mhz step by step and it's always the same result. In addition the cores before to TEST4B work perfectly and go at the same speed and phase, but there was an important change between these two versions in memory management.

Don't touch the frequency, it must be in sync with the main clock (it's exactly 6 times). If not the phase, maybe try to change the input delays in the .sdc (the numbers should be a bit less according to the datasheet). And it might be not the SDRAM chip at all, e.g. if you have some old boards in stock, you can try to resolder one Micron to an Alliance and see if it breaks or not.

Just to emphasize: try change c0 phase shift (from -3000 ps) to something else (-1500 - -3000). Don't touch the frequency!

ManuFerHi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ManuFerHi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 am

We already have stable TEST9, changing C0 to a phase of -1700ps.
Thanks to Ramon Martinez who has been testing and synthesizing until he finds a stable phase.
I share the core in case users with this problem want to test this core. Tested in several Mistica that I have in stock and in all works well.
The cause may not be exclusively the memory model, but it seems that this memory model is more sensitive to noise.

EDIT - And of course, thanks to Slingshot for this little "miracle" of putting the SNES core in this FPGA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 am

Is the Archie core stable? It uses about the same SDRAM clock, but with a -1800ps phase shift. I think 3000 is too much, it's almost negating the clock.
PC-Engine also uses 126 MHz, is it working?

rampa
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rampa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:55 am

slingshot wrote:Is the Archie core stable? It uses about the same SDRAM clock, but with a -1800ps phase shift. I think 3000 is too much, it's almost negating the clock.
PC-Engine also uses 126 MHz, is it working?

just sent you a pull request. clk0_phase_shift = -1600 seems stable in all memory chips.

ManuFerHi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ManuFerHi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:08 am

Yes, archie and PC-engine are stable. Archie with the problems that we all know sometimes, like starting with blinking ... but it goes the same as with any mist.
PC-engine is going perfect.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 am

Interesting. I took the -3000 from PCE. But it doesn't issue a new command to the SDRAM in almost every cycle.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:20 pm

rampa wrote:
just sent you a pull request. clk0_phase_shift = -1600 seems stable in all memory chips.

-1600 doesn't work very well on my MiST, let's stick at -1700.

Upd.: Seems -1800 is the smallest value which runs Chrono Trigger demo (good test) for not just 10 seconds. Maybe it's not just a coincidence why it was used in Archie.

A new - and hopefully the last - test release:
https://github.com/gyurco/SNES_MiSTer/r ... tag/test10

rampa
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rampa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:50 pm

slingshot wrote:
rampa wrote:

-1600 doesn't work very well on my MiST, let's stick at -1700.

Upd.: Seems -1800 is the smallest value which runs Chrono Trigger demo (good test) for not just 10 seconds. Maybe it's not just a coincidence why it was used in Archie.

A new - and hopefully the last - test release:
https://github.com/gyurco/SNES_MiSTer/r ... tag/test10

I had some blackout problems this morning with 1800. i am gonna try now again.

gibs
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gibs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:47 pm

ManuFerHi wrote:We already have stable TEST9, changing C0 to a phase of -1700ps.

Wait, what do you call stable ? :roll:

squid4
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squid4 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm

V10 stable on my v1.3/Hynix.

ManuFerHi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ManuFerHi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:22 pm

gibs wrote:
ManuFerHi wrote:We already have stable TEST9, changing C0 to a phase of -1700ps.

Wait, what do you call stable ? :roll:

Mistica with -1600 with micron or alliance work OK, testing Chrono Trigger about 3-4 hours without problems. More than -1600 problems with alliance memory. Don´t have Mistica with Hynix.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:37 pm

ManuFerHi wrote:Mistica with -1600 with micron or alliance work OK, testing Chrono Trigger about 3-4 hours without problems. More than -1600 problems with alliance memory. Don´t have Mistica with Hynix.

1600 didn't work for me. I'm sure versions <= test4 also wasn't that small (just wrongly tagged the repo, so not possible to check, shame on me), but I think it was maybe 2000. Probably you can check it, too (or going up from 1800 - just watch out the implemented phase shift, it's not necessary exactly the same what you specify).

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 am

Still my monitor blinks with NTSC mode, but as far as I play PAL mode everything seems to be very very stable :cheers:
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

ManuFerHi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ManuFerHi » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:19 am

slingshot wrote:
ManuFerHi wrote:Mistica with -1600 with micron or alliance work OK, testing Chrono Trigger about 3-4 hours without problems. More than -1600 problems with alliance memory. Don´t have Mistica with Hynix.

1600 didn't work for me. I'm sure versions <= test4 also wasn't that small (just wrongly tagged the repo, so not possible to check, shame on me), but I think it was maybe 2000. Probably you can check it, too (or going up from 1800 - just watch out the implemented phase shift, it's not necessary exactly the same what you specify).

The versions up to TEST3 (it is the most stable one) work in all the Mistica with different memories that it incorporates, this version is at -3000ps, for that reason at the beginning I did not believe that the reason was the phase, but from version TEST4 for stable operation it is necessary to modify the phase to -1600ps.
I also know Mist users (original Lotharek) with Micron and they also have no problem with any version (maybe only users with Hynix problems?)
If you have Hynix, look for the most stable version for your Mist and when there is a definitive version, you can make another binary with the phase changed for users who have problems, because perhaps it will be difficult to get the same stable binary for everyone.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 am

Well, it's fairly strange that on my MiST, there's a 1.2ns window (from 1.8-3.0ns) for the acceptable shift, but on others, there's only one acceptable value. So yeah, I also suggest if the version released by me is not working for you, then use a build which does. I won't do multiple builds, as I cannot really debug this, and I don't have multiple devices. The best would be to have an oscilloscope trace what happens on the control/data lines of the SDRAM.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:31 am

vebxenon wrote:Still my monitor blinks with NTSC mode, but as far as I play PAL mode everything seems to be very very stable :cheers:

Test 9/10 with "old" Lotharek MiST?

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 am

slingshot wrote:
vebxenon wrote:Still my monitor blinks with NTSC mode, but as far as I play PAL mode everything seems to be very very stable :cheers:

Yes, MiST 1.2 (I always use original MiST) and my monitor NEC EA190M using VGA.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

RealLarry
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby RealLarry » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Did a short test today with a MiST 1.3/snes v10 on a CRT: PAL and NTSC are working fine and stable.
Wanted to do more tests with MiST 1.2, YPBPR and VGA but telephone/business keeps me away from doing the right things. Will edit this post later...

EDIT1:
- MiST 1.3/snes v10 on a CRT/Scart: PAL and NTSC are working fine and stable
- MiST 1.3/snes v10 on a LED-Mon#1/VGA: PAL is working fine and stable, NTSC restless/shivers
- MiST 1.3/snes v10 on a LED-Mon#2/VGA: PAL and NTSC are working fine and stable
- MiST 1.3/snes v10 on a LED-TV/CVBS->HDMI (via Converter): PAL and NTSC are working fine and stable
- MiST 1.3/snes v10 on a LED-TV/YPbPr->HDMI (via Converter): PAL and NTSC are working fine and stable

EDIT2:
...and the same results for my MiST 1.2. Missing tests are LED-TV/CVBS and LED-TV/YPbPr direct conenction. Catch up this later.

Converter is a Ligawo AV 8 in 1 to HDMI Converter/Scaler, PartNo 6526663
LED-Mon#1 is a Fujitsu E19-7 (30-82 kHz / 56-76 Hz / 165 Mhz)
LED-Mon#2 is an unknown brand I found in a dumpster
LED-TV is a LG 32LN5707

For me, it is already clear that everything is working very well. If picture is bad, shivers and shakes, your display won't play together with your MiST. :megaphone:
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

gibs
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gibs » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:21 pm

vebxenon wrote:
slingshot wrote:

Yes, MiST 1.2 (I always use original MiST) and my monitor NEC EA190M using VGA.

Ah you have the same issue I get.
I have the stmini fpga.

Is there a way to launch the core in PAL by default ?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:51 pm

gibs wrote:Is there a way to launch the core in PAL by default ?

Switch to PAL (blindly if absolutely no picture - F12, 3x down, Enter), then save the options.

gibs
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gibs » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:03 pm

slingshot wrote:
gibs wrote:Is there a way to launch the core in PAL by default ?

Switch to PAL (blindly if absolutely no picture - F12, 3x down, Enter), then save the options.

Hello,

Sorry, if I ask it's because when I save the settings it freeze.
there's still the scrolling runing but the keyboard is frozen and if I relaunch the core, settings are not saved.

thanks

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:17 pm

gibs wrote:there's still the scrolling runing but the keyboard is frozen and if I relaunch the core, settings are not saved.

thanks

Do an fsck or chkdsk on your sd card.

gibs
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gibs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:45 am

slingshot wrote:
gibs wrote:there's still the scrolling runing but the keyboard is frozen and if I relaunch the core, settings are not saved.

thanks

done. there was no issues.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 am

gibs wrote:
slingshot wrote:

thanks

Delete snes.cfg then.
Saving options work in other cores?
It purely an ARM operation, the FPGA is not involved at all in save settings (doesn't even know about it).

RealLarry

Postby RealLarry » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:32 am

gibs wrote:
slingshot wrote:

thanks

I had a similar issue few weeks ago with one of Jotego's core. Everything seemed to work but saving wasn't possible. fsck reported no issues. I made a backup of the content, reformatted the card, saved everything back, and voila, saving is working since then.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

Return to “MiST”