Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby PsyFX » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:11 am

Has anyone used the X-arcade series (Solo, Duel, Tank) with the Mister?
My sticks don't have the (X-Arcade Zerolag Tri-Mode USB Upgrade) btw
So its basically recognized as a keyboard, unless using one of the many retro system adapters.

So far, I've had a (solo) working using 2 adapters, probably not optimally...
Joystick DB9 -> playstation 1/2 Adapter -> playstation 3 Usb Adapter.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:17 am

Tibob wrote:Thanks for your answer, I have to take a look on this.

This one seems to be not so bad too. http://www.smallcab.net/xinmotek-joueurs-p-1874.html. For 15€ there is a lot of possibilities.

Looks good and very cheap! Good for simple joysticks. And it supports up to 15 buttons.
Just can't use serial joysticks such as NES/SNES/TG16/SEGA

Tibob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Tibob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks Sorgelig for your answer, perfect for neogeo pad :D

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Tibob wrote:Thanks Sorgelig for your answer, perfect for neogeo pad :D

note: i didn't test it. Just judge by specs.

Tibob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Tibob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:16 pm

No prob, I ll do a review if i test it

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Hello,
if someone is looking for a good gamepad I can recommend the new Megadrive controller M30 from 8Bitdo (bluetooth).
It has a super control pad and enough buttons for the SNES.

In my opinion it is better than the Nintendo SF 30 pro by 8Bitdo and also SNES and Megadrive controller by Retroflag.

I now use the M30 for all consoles
For Arcade and Fighting Games I use the N30 ARCADE STICK by 8Bitdo
and for home computers the Speedlink Competition PRO Extra.

What I still need is a paddle (spinner). Maybe somebody can give me a tip? preferably USB

Greetings Lutz

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Milongero wrote:Hello,
if someone is looking for a good gamepad I can recommend the new Megadrive controller M30 from 8Bitdo (bluetooth).

I have that one, too, but you need to be aware that it has 21ms input lag. If you care about low lag you should use wired or 2.4GHz pads.

The M30 is now available as 2.4GHz version with a 2.4 usb dongle. I recommend getting that one as it has about 17ms less lag, which is significant. EDIT: The 2.4 GHz USB versions are only listed as compatible with Genesis Mini and Switch and it is unknown if they work with PC or MiSTer.

See: https://www.retrorgb.com/krikzz-joyzz-v ... sting.html
Last edited by Threepwood on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for the info,

I just tried cable, and yes, i think he reacts faster.
But I find the control pad especially worth mentioning.
I have never been able to steer so precisely.

I still have the brown dongle. Is it faster than standard bluetooth??
Last edited by Milongero on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Milongero wrote:Thanks for the info,

I just tried cable, and yes, he reacts faster.
But I find the control pad especially worth mentioning.
I have never been able to steer so precisely.

I still have the brown dongle. Is it faster than standard bluetooth??

The brown and grey dongles are the same (bluetooth) and not faster. I think they only made the grey one to have it fit the Playstation Classic, color wise. The 2.4GHz dongle will be black and only works with 2.4GHz gamepads =)

Yep, I love these SEGA d-pads, too. They are much more "arcady" than Nintendo cross d-pads.

What I wanted to add to my previous post: Alternatives are the wired Genesis/Saturn gamepads by Retrobit or the soon to be released 2.4GHz version that comes with USB and original hardware wireless dongles in a carry case.

For fighting sticks: Make sure you mod that N30 to have Sanwa (or other quality brand) buttons and stick along with an octagonal restrictor and forget about using it with bluetooth.

Nuclear3D
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Nuclear3D » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:03 pm

so the 2.4ghz controllers work with mister as in just plug in play im not really sure how you use these as there not usb or am i missing something ?

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:12 pm

I was just reading through the test.
That seems to apply only to the Megadrive bluetooth Retro receiver!

"The Bluetooth version of the M30 is a completely different story. While it averaged 21ms, it swung as low as 5.9ms and as high as 38ms (!!!!). Something to keep in mind is that the bluetooth M30 was tested with the 8bitdo Genesis/Megadrive bluetooth Retro receiver. If you use the controller with something like a Raspberry Pi, a desktop computer or something else with bluetooth these results might not be valid."

I can play Megaman1 on NES Core with and without cable equally well!

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Nuclear3D wrote:so the 2.4ghz controllers work with mister as in just plug in play ?

Hm, good that you ask. The 2.4GHz USB dongles are made for the Genesis Mini and work with Switch, too https://www.8bitdo.com/m30-2-4g-for-gen ... rive-mini/

It is not available here yet, but since the Genesis Mini works with Retrobit USB gamepads that also work with the MiSTer, I would be surprised if they did not, but 8bitdo lists only Genesis Mini and Switch compatibility...

That said, I do not know, because I could not test it yet. For now assume they don't work, until somebody can confirm otherwise.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Milongero wrote:I was just reading through the test.
That seems to apply only to the Megadrive bluetooth Retro receiver!

"The Bluetooth version of the M30 is a completely different story. While it averaged 21ms, it swung as low as 5.9ms and as high as 38ms (!!!!). Something to keep in mind is that the bluetooth M30 was tested with the 8bitdo Genesis/Megadrive bluetooth Retro receiver. If you use the controller with something like a Raspberry Pi, a desktop computer or something else with bluetooth these results might not be valid."

I can play Megaman1 on NES Core with and without cable equally well!

Bluetooth is always slower than 2.4 or wired. Still it would be interesting to see some numbers for the 8bitdo USB bluetooth dongles. I believe to feel the difference in lag (8bitdo USB bluetooth dongle vs wired), but it has never kept me from enjoying games with the bluetooth gamepads.

Speaking of: When the MiSTer cold reboots I have to replug the dongles for them to work again. Does anybody know a fix for that or is it just a normal quirk of the linux used?

Nuclear3D
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Nuclear3D » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:17 pm

I mean even the older 8bitdo 2.4ghz receivers arent usb they are for the classic line of consoles. For me personally i cant really tell or feel lag with the 8bitdo bluetooth controllers but maybe i'm just not remembering the feel of playing without a bluetooth at this point.

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-sf30-2_4g-for-snes-and-sfc-classic-edition/

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Nuclear3D wrote:I mean even the older 8bitdo 2.4ghz receivers arent usb they are for the classic line of consoles. For me personally i cant really tell or feel lag with the 8bitdo bluetooth controllers but maybe i'm just not remembering the feel of playing without a bluetooth at this point.

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-sf30-2_4g-for-snes-and-sfc-classic-edition/

The ones I am talking about are new USB dongles for 2.4GHz and not the old ones for the original classic connectors =) But the Retrobit USB 2.4GHz SEGA Genesis/Saturn pads are listed as working with PC on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Wirele ... B07WP2ZYNR

Nuclear3D
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Nuclear3D » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Oh well i wasn't sure if it was a universal 8bitdo 2.4ghz adapter because it seemed to just be for the genesis controller they did.

Mlaurito
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Mlaurito » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Anyone tried these for neo geo stick ?

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Joystick-USB-Ga ... SwQT9cMu8h

blacklistedcard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby blacklistedcard » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:19 am

Milongero wrote:Hello,
It has a super control pad and enough buttons for the SNES.

In my opinion it is better than the Nintendo SF 30 pro by 8Bitdo and also SNES and Megadrive controller by Retroflag.

I now use the M30 for all consoles
For Arcade and Fighting Games I use the N30 ARCADE STICK by 8Bitdo
and for home computers the Speedlink Competition PRO Extra.

What I still need is a paddle (spinner). Maybe somebody can give me a tip? preferably USB

Greetings Lutz

I too use the M30 bluetooth controllers on my mister. I have not experienced any problems. It's nice to cold boot the mister and the controller just syncs up again within a couple of seconds.

For Neo Geo games, I use the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai. Zero problem with it. Works great.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:40 am

Mlaurito wrote:Anyone tried these for neo geo stick ?

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Joystick-USB-Ga ... SwQT9cMu8h

I wouldn't try that. That is a PC gameport adapter. Same connector but completely different electrically. If you see 'MIDI' mentioned, you're probably not looking at a Neo Geo adapter.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Today I received a Retrobit "SEGA Saturn® 8-Button Arcade Pad - 2.4 GHz Wireless" (http://retro-bit.com/sega-wireless) and am using it in X-Input mode with MiSTer. Note that this is not a bluetooth gamepad and thus has less lag.

It works flawless and has a home button that can be assigned as OSD button. Furthermore, the wireless USB dongle works and keeps connection to the gamepad after a cold reboot without the need to be replugged.

This was my biggest issue with the 8bitdo bluetooth dongles. After a cold reboot I have to pull the dongle out and plug it back into USB for it to work again. Now I am waiting for the non-bluetooth 2.4GHz 8bitdo M30 with USB dongle to be available.

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:09 pm

I have successfully test the newish Neo Geo mini pad that came out about year or so ago. You'll need to us a USB type C to male adapter but it does work well with the MiSTER

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:15 pm

Threepwood wrote:After a cold reboot I have to pull the dongle out and plug it back into USB for it to work again.

With USB hub <v2.x after cold reboot sometimes you need just turn off the 8bitdo gamepad and then turn it on again.
With USB hub v2.1 (with VBUS circuit populated) 8bitdo receiver usually automatically connects to gamepad after cold reboot.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Sorgelig wrote:With USB hub v2.1 (with VBUS circuit populated) 8bitdo receiver usually automatically connects to gamepad after cold reboot.

Thanks, that's good to know. Currently I am using some powered UGreen 7-Port USB 3.0 hub. All the more reason to get the hub board next.

Vwbug2010
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Vwbug2010 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi guys ran the update script which is great however the new menu / setup files don’t seem the work with my PS4 controller and 8 bit do dongle any one any ideas? I can down grade again and it works but not much use for the latest Amiga core. It says joystick is not defined worked no problem on an earlier revision

SoundCompozer
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SoundCompozer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello there. Not works at all atari classic 5-pin joystick with this adapter https://stoneagegamer.com/atari-2600-to ... o-bit.html

Mister with version 20191103. In UART terminal MISTer says:

usbhid 1-1.2:1.0: can't add hid device: -32

Can i fix it with manual settings anywhere? Thank you

Return to “MiSTer”