PSU options in 2019

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Silence The Fallen
Atariator
Atariator

PSU options in 2019

Postby Silence The Fallen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am

Hello!

It's been a long time since have been on here. I'm guessing it was about 9 years ago that my 1040 STE quit working overnight. I would flip the power switch and would get absolutely nothing as if it were not plugged in. I got some help on here and most signs pointed to the power supply being bad.

Fast forward many kids and many years later and I think its time to buckle down and bring this 1040 STE back to life.

This brings me to my question. What are my options for a new PSU for my US 110v 1040 STE?

I have looked around the last few days and it looks like my only options are an Exxos PSU or a Pico PSU.

I'm leaning toward the Exxos as it looks fairly simple. I just have to cut off my old power plug and switch and wire/solder it to the new PSU.

Is there anything I have overlooked? Are there any other options for a new power supply?

Thanks in advance!

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: PSU options in 2019

Postby mpattonm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 pm

The old Atari PowerSupply´s are very good, so build them up with new parts ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Timnaber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Timnaber » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Also posted this in the other thread:

Exxos has some: https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0094
ST: TT030 10/32 MB; Falcon 030 14MB(2); Mega STe 4 MB; Mga 4 stock(3), 1040STf 4 MB(3); ST 4MB (2); Megafile 44 (3); Megafile 30(4)

8-Bit: 320XE w/Ultraspeed+/FIXXL; 320XE; 130XE w/Ultimate 1MB; 600XL w/Ultimate 1MB; 800XL w/Omnimon XL/Boss XL/Omniview XL; 800 w/Incognito; 48K 800; Black Box Enhanced (3); 1050 Super Archiver II; 1050 Happy (2); XF551 360K(2); XF551 720K; 8-bit Hard Drive Tower 480 MBs.

Silence The Fallen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Silence The Fallen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:48 pm

mpattonm wrote:And then there is STPSU: https://centuriontech.eu/product/stpsu-st/

Thank you!!! This is fantastic and exactly what I wanted. I looks to be back ordered, but I'm ordering one.

frank.lukas wrote:The old Atari PowerSupply´s are very good, so build them up with new parts ...

I planned on recapping it 9 years ago and its never happened. Soldering and multimeter skills that I would love to obtain one day but not gonna happen anytime soon. Between the kids, wife and work I only have the time to learn so much. These past years have been spent learning about my vehicles to work on and lots of DIY on the house, my time is just spread to thin. But one day... one day...

Timnaber wrote:Also posted this in the other thread:

Exxos has some: https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0094

I mentioned this as one of my options in the OP and it was what I was leaning towards, but the STPSU that mpattonm linked to stole my heart. I like the plug and play design of it.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

Silence The Fallen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Silence The Fallen » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks to everyone's help. I ordered and received my new power supply!

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you all can answer and thought it best to continue in this thread rather than starting a new one.

As you can see in the picture. The wire from the on/off switch will not reach where it needs to go. My plan was to de-solder the wire from the switch and solder a longer wire back on. The jacket says 18 awg, which i am assuming is 18 gauge wire, but I'm not having any luck finding what i need. Perhaps I'm not searching using the correct terms. Could someone link to what wire I would need to use (like on amazon or something) and then I could order it, or even better locate it locally.

Also... Do I need that giant magnet? Can I remove it to give the wires a bit more slack or it best to leave it on?

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm

If you have some spare power cable somewhere, just cut it and remove the outer PVC from it and you'll find 3 wires in it. Use one of those.
The ferrite bead you can get rid of if it's in the way, it's there to suppress noise but is not critical.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

Silence The Fallen
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Silence The Fallen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 am

dhedberg wrote:If you have some spare power cable somewhere, just cut it and remove the outer PVC from it and you'll find 3 wires in it. Use one of those.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have plenty of old power cords, so I did just that. Just finished up with everything and after 9 long years it LIVES once again!!!

Seriously BIG thanks to everyone! You have no idea how happy this makes me! Then again, maybe you do. I suppose we are on an Atari forum, after all.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Congratulations! Hope you'll have lots of fun with your awakened STE!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”