https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Arcade cores

Postby bazza12 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 am

djmartins wrote:
insanewayne253 wrote:Having some trouble getting 1943 to run. Keep getting the MD5 error; I know I have the right zip file. Any suggestions?

I got that error but they did run..
Last edited by bazza12 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

mutmuthux
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mutmuthux » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:17 am

I can only get MII version to run properly. KAI is all warped and fuzzy on the display. it's like the sprites have been blown to pieces or something.
To get MII to work I had to use the zip from 0.139 and add some of the files from 0.199 (? sorry dont remember exactly)

I'll send you a link of the files i used, but cant check if these are the exact ones right now sorry. I'll look on the weekend if these are the right ones

wolfme
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wolfme » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:39 pm

You have to use non-merged roms, e.g. from here:
https://ia800106.us.archive.org/view_ar ... merged.zip

mutmuthux
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mutmuthux » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am

wolfme wrote:You have to use non-merged roms, e.g. from here:
https://ia800106.us.archive.org/view_ar ... merged.zip

Its that simple :D lol. If only we had RTFM . hehehhe.
Thanks for the heads up @wolfme

BlueLightning
Atariator
Atariator

Postby BlueLightning » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:57 am

My favorite missing roms from my younger days are. i hope someone think like me ;-) and we see a port of that great arcade classics
Kung fu Master
Jungle King
Super Hang on
Elevator Action

ZEENPR
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ZEENPR » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:39 pm

I will love to see a Wizard of Wor core. I'm willing to fund the port.

BlueLightning wrote:My favorite missing roms from my younger days are. i hope someone think like me ;-) and we see a port of that great arcade classics
Kung fu Master
Jungle King
Super Hang on
Elevator Action

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lightwave » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:51 pm

There are already so many great arcade games ported to MiSTer, as well as some of the other suggestions here I would love to see:

Bubble Bobble
Gun Smoke
Outrun

I would be happy to contribute to these getting ported.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:06 am

Lightwave wrote:There are already so many great arcade games ported to MiSTer

It wasn't meant to be a great arcade machine but it really is!
Thoroughly enjoy the arcade cores for MiSTer.
Thanks to all who did the work to make that happen.

gojira54
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gojira54 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:14 am

TNZS would be amazing, my fav game by far
Please do not take it personal, my lawyer has policies

mutmuthux
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mutmuthux » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am

Lightwave wrote:Outrun

That game, the sound, the coxkpit rhowing you around....
So so good.
If we get outrun on MiSTer I'll buy the dev a year of coffee.
Not joking, ill throw a couple of hundred down on a deluxe cab version, and probably thousands more building a tribute machine :)

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:07 am

I have all three new arcade cores running fine!
Thanks Alan!

alanswx
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alanswx » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:56 am

djmartins wrote:I have all three new arcade cores running fine!
Thanks Alan!

Great!! I think I got the dips hooked up correctly.

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm

djmartins wrote:I have all three new arcade cores running fine!
Thanks Alan!

hear hear :) :cheers:

atatat
Atarian
Atarian

Postby atatat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Is it possible to make Namco System 1?
I'd really like to see Tank Force on MiSTer.

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Many Custom Chips

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:23 pm

1st of my two all time favs is comming soon..... Rygar :cheers:
2nd game i would love to see on MiSTer is .... Wonderboy :angel:

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Arcade cores - Vertical mode

Postby eskwadrat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am

Hi,
In past few days I have through building rom files for all supported arcade cores and found handful of games when in vertical screen mode showing picture rotated clockwise (vs. most games rotate ccw):

Colony7
Dorodon
Eeek
Moon cresta
Omega
Sinistar
Super Breakout

Any plans to have these rotated CCW just like all other supported?
P.S. I am using setup w/display in portrait mode and above games show up upside down.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:17 pm

eskwadrat wrote:Hi,
In past few days I have through building rom files for all supported arcade cores and found handful of games when in vertical screen mode showing picture rotated clockwise (vs. most games rotate ccw):

Colony7
Dorodon
Eeek
Moon cresta
Omega
Sinistar
Super Breakout

Any plans to have these rotated CCW just like all other supported?
P.S. I am using setup w/display in portrait mode and above games show up upside down.

I believe they did that originally. Look online and see if there are any “dips” or settings called “flip”. If so I will try to hook them up.

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:33 pm

alanswx wrote:I believe they did that originally. Look online and see if there are any “dips” or settings called “flip”. If so I will try to hook them up.

Nope, there is no "flip" nor similar setting for it, at least in the MISTer load menu.

One other item I found missing is the lack of "scan lines" simulation in vertical mode. I am voting to add this on "To do" list. :coffe:

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lightwave » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:40 pm

eskwadrat wrote:
alanswx wrote:I believe they did that originally. Look online and see if there are any “dips” or settings called “flip”. If so I will try to hook them up.

Nope, there is no "flip" nor similar setting for it, at least in the MISTer load menu.:

He means check if the option exists via a dip switch or service menu in the original cabinet (You can check via M.A.M.E., or looking at original docs or schematics for the game). If it does, it can possibly be added to the MiSTer core menu for that game.

eskwadrat wrote:One other item I found missing is the lack of "scan lines" simulation in vertical mode. I am voting to add this on "To do" list. :coffe:

This would be great. All of the older arcade cores that don't support custom filters have this issue.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:28 pm

Lightwave wrote:
eskwadrat wrote:

Nope, there is no "flip" nor similar setting for it, at least in the MISTer load menu.:

He means check if the option exists via a dip switch or service menu in the original cabinet (You can check via M.A.M.E., or looking at original docs or schematics for the game). If it does, it can possibly be added to the MiSTer core menu for that game.

eskwadrat wrote:One other item I found missing is the lack of "scan lines" simulation in vertical mode. I am voting to add this on "To do" list. :coffe:

This would be great. All of the older arcade cores that don't support custom filters have this issue.

I think I added Scan Lines to most of the arcades, but we haven't rebuilt them yet. When Sorg finalizes the sys with the new HDMI - direct mode, we will probably be ready to build all the arcades again. It is a lot of work, there are a lot of them!

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Thanks Lightwave, good point.
Obviously game roms are what they are and it is up to platform to rotate or flip the image. I wonder if supporting cores include gpio to connect dip switches as they used to be present in original cabinets on the original platforms. Ideally those gpio's should be carried over and ported to those present on Nano board. So it looks like I have a homework to do, first identify original arcade board supporting flip or not and then it does support, looking into core design to find out if same function has been ported to fpga and if yes, which gpio hoping it is available on one of Nano board headers.

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:39 pm

alanswx wrote:I think I added Scan Lines to most of the arcades, but we haven't rebuilt them yet. When Sorg finalizes the sys with the new HDMI - direct mode, we will probably be ready to build all the arcades again. It is a lot of work, there are a lot of them!

Yes, it's tremendous work and I can only say, amazing job so far. My fpga experience stretches between MAX II series two decades ago, ending with MAX10 couples years back when I employed 16k and then 50k cell devices for my custom dual monitor video adapter (http://www.vga51.com). This project however is tiny comparing to porting so many arcades and computers.
Looking forward to see more games and thank you.
Last edited by eskwadrat on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lightwave » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:43 am

eskwadrat wrote:Thanks Lightwave, good point.
Obviously game roms are what they are and it is up to platform to rotate or flip the image. I wonder if supporting cores include gpio to connect dip switches as they used to be present in original cabinets on the original platforms. Ideally those gpio's should be carried over and ported to those present on Nano board. So it looks like I have a homework to do, first identify original arcade board supporting flip or not and then it does support, looking into core design to find out if same function has been ported to fpga and if yes, which gpio hoping it is available on one of Nano board headers.

Not sure if you are suggesting hardware GPIO dips as an additional feature, but such a thing is not necessary as the core menu for each arcade core supports setting dip options via software (many arcade core settings are already doing this).

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:13 am

Lightwave wrote:
eskwadrat wrote:Thanks Lightwave, good point.

Not sure if you are suggesting hardware GPIO dips as an additional feature, but such a thing is not necessary as the core menu for each arcade core supports setting dip options via software (many arcade core settings are already doing this).

I put the osd dip support in most of the cores. Let me know if it is broken. Unfortunately we haven’t built new versions yet. I left out the coins and some other things that didn’t seem important. Sometimes the dips don’t work if you load a different rom.

Return to “MiSTer”