Scumvm

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Scumvm

Postby jury » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:17 pm

MadMax2023 wrote:What is your configuration? scummvm won't work at a playable speed on a standard falcon;

I'm on CT63 with Super Videl.
I downloaded Scummvm 2.0 and yes, now Simon 2 performs absolutely playable. So there must have been some optimizations in 2.0. Nice! :)

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:02 am

Oh nice. That makes it really worthwhile to take a look at again. I'm sure I could make a faster build than the default one, that must be not only built on a super ancient setup but also without that 8-bit colour front end.

MadMax2023
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MadMax2023 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Well, it will be interesting to have your build :D

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Yeah Mikro... time for a xmas present ;)
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PeterS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:19 pm

I tried V2.0.0 on my Milan at the weekend. It is quicker and smoother and I switched to 3x rendering. Still no sound though.

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:03 pm

MacFalcon wrote:Yeah Mikro... time for a xmas present ;)

I would be glad to have it in february too :D

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 pm

jury wrote:
MadMax2023 wrote:What is your configuration? scummvm won't work at a playable speed on a standard falcon;

I'm on CT63 with Super Videl.
I downloaded Scummvm 2.0 and yes, now Simon 2 performs absolutely playable. So there must have been some optimizations in 2.0. Nice! :)

I tried this new version but the graphics are all scrambled. I see about 8 seperate main menus across the top, all tiny and all corrupted. But the old version is fine.. I wonder why. Using Xbios.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Any new version available ?

On the official page, there's a new beta build than can run Blade Runner ! No Atari version unfortunately :-(

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:47 pm

The links to builds of mikro's fork :
http://ge.tt/7nBDSJD2
http://ge.tt/6x4SjmE2
http://ge.tt/7bO6bVD2

All seem to be broken. I checked with mikro, and it seems the files are gone from the ge.tt .

Is there someone with a working toolchain that can compile mikro's fork ( https://github.com/mikrosk/scummvm )?

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:59 am

Yes, but
This branch is 1636 commits behind scummvm:master.

So i guess this fork does not yet contain the last changes that make Blade Runner work. I also have no idea about the state of mikro's fork. Does it have any Atari specific changes that are not part of the main repository (https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm)?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 am

No no, my fork shouldn't be used as the base for anything. It's just an experimental fork I did a few months ago to verify that ST MIDI is compilable and working.

The links wietze is referring to pointed to my custom builds long before this code appeared on github. So what wietze is actually asking is whether someone can send him the *binaries* originally placed on ge.tt. :)

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:13 pm

mikro wrote:No no, my fork shouldn't be used as the base for anything. It's just an experimental fork I did a few months ago to verify that ST MIDI is compilable and working.

The links wietze is referring to pointed to my custom builds long before this code appeared on github. So what wietze is actually asking is whether someone can send him the *binaries* originally placed on ge.tt. :)

Ah I wrongly assumed those builds were a result of your fork then....

Do you have these changes still under source control at all?

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:18 pm

So what wietze is actually asking is whether someone can send him the *binaries* originally placed on ge.tt. :)

Here is the latest mikro's version ( or at least I think it was the latest binary from this thread ):

https://ufile.io/k2icocb7
Last edited by jury on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm

BTW Miro, how did you manage to compile it? Did you have to make any changes? Or do you know at least the arguments used for configuring it? I cloned the original repo, and have some trouble with it. I had to hack at the configure script to prevent it from using the hosts sdl-config script when cross-compiling, amongst others. Same for freetype. Now i'm stuck with our math library missing some functions (truncf for example).

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Thorsten: I don't recall anything odd during compilation, just:

Code: Select all

./configure --host=m68k-atari-mint --with-sdl-prefix=/home/mikro/gnu-tools/m68000/m68k-atari-mint/bin --enable-release --disable-hq-scalers --disable-highres --opengl-mode=none --enable-verbose-build --disable-16bit

and a few disabled functions: https://github.com/mikrosk/scummvm/comm ... 31e1b0c799

wietze: I'm attaching my original patch from 2015, as you can see, it's quite messy. I suppose I compiled it with very similar switches as above. The idea was to force it to use 8-bit rendering, which dramatically speeds up things on Falcon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:01 am

Thanks Mikro. I tried with sdl-prefix, but that does not work in my setup, because the script is in the same directory where also other m68k binaries are installed, and the configure script at leats will then try to execute them. Maybe i should open a PR that they better use pkg-config (as is already done for other packages). The missing truncf is maybe because i'm now using fdlibm instead of pml, could be that it is still missing there (but pml has much more missing functions). The functions taht you disabled seem be random and srandom, i had no problem with them so far, but maybe they have been added to mintlib after you last tried, did not check that yet.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:16 pm

@wietze: maybe you want to try these freshly compiled version:

The 8bit versions have Miros patches applied. But note that Blade Runner is not available in this mode. Also note that the executables are much larger than before (~27MB for the 8bit versions, and ~44MB for the 16bit versions).

It was compiled using an updated version of fdlibm. You will find it (and some other needed libraries) among the mint packages
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:01 pm

@thorsten; thanks! but I assume this implies it would not work on a vanilla mint installation? I will test later tonite!

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:45 pm

It should work on any Mint, maybe even TOS (without network of course). The archives only replace the executable, nothing else.

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:It should work on any Mint, maybe even TOS (without network of course). The archives only replace the executable, nothing else.

He's probably referring to the libs, but I guess they can just be placed in the scummvm directory with the binary right?
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:@wietze: maybe you want to try these freshly compiled version:

The 8bit versions have Miros patches applied. But note that Blade Runner is not available in this mode. Also note that the executables are much larger than before (~27MB for the 8bit versions, and ~44MB for the 16bit versions).

It was compiled using an updated version of fdlibm. You will find it (and some other needed libraries) among the mint packages

The 8 bit version crashes on me. The 16 bit version crashes on me when pushing options from the launcher; but seems to load games when giving parameters from the commandline.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 pm

stormy wrote:He's probably referring to the libs, but I guess they can just be placed in the scummvm directory with the binary right?

The libs are only needed when you want to compile it yourself.

wietze wrote:The 8 bit version crashes on me. The 16 bit version crashes on me when pushing options from the launcher

Hm that's bad. I only did some quick checks with the free games that are downloadable from their site, and those started at least. Other than that, i don't have any experience with scummvm. Also don't forget that this isn't a release, it is just like a snapshot compile. Maybe you can try some other daily snapshot for a different OS first, most of them seem to be available, just not for Atari.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 am

Isn't possible the crashes are caused by small stack?

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 am

mikro wrote:Oh nice. That makes it really worthwhile to take a look at again. I'm sure I could make a faster build than the default one, that must be not only built on a super ancient setup but also without that 8-bit colour front end.

Mikro, we are begging you :o Make it happen ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:04 pm

mikro wrote:Isn't possible the crashes are caused by small stack?

Uh, that's possible. I've changed that now to 512k, hope it is enough.

Same links as before (with coldfire version added):

Social Media

Return to “Games”