Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Newbie questions

Postby digitron » Sun May 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Whats the best core (or does it matter) to run the 240p test suite on?

mikealbert
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mikealbert » Sun May 19, 2019 3:08 pm

MattE888 wrote:
mikealbert wrote:
mikealbert wrote:What's the best way to troubleshoot cores that fail to launch? Haven't used my MiSTer in a couple months, so I ran the updater script to get the latest files. Now I'm just seeing a black screen whenever I launch the NES or SNES core. I wiped my sd card, ran a fresh install and everything is working again. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot that sort of issue?

Thanks!

I should have mentioned earlier, but I'm seeing a black screen after hitting F12 and selecting a ROM.

I have the same problem. Did you find an answer?

Unfortunately I never found a solution. I just updated my Mister again yesterday with the updater script and all the cores continued to work after the update. So maybe it was only a problem with previous versions.

wolfme
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wolfme » Mon May 20, 2019 8:36 am

Methanoid wrote:5) RTC board - Wiki says dont need this if you connect to net and use that for time. No RJ45 anywhere so only if I buy a compatible WiFi dongle yes?

Uh, did i miss somenthing? Is there a new DE10 Nano board out?
Mine has RJ45 LAN...

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 am

wolfme wrote:
Methanoid wrote:5) RTC board - Wiki says dont need this if you connect to net and use that for time. No RJ45 anywhere so only if I buy a compatible WiFi dongle yes?

Uh, did i miss somenthing? Is there a new DE10 Nano board out?
Mine has RJ45 LAN...

Yeah I didnt spot it at first :shrug:

Lynkk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Lynkk » Sat May 25, 2019 9:47 am

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to save data from a game acting as a bootrom (ex: SNES.rom)? Currently we can't, is there a way? Thank you.

Hewhoisred
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Hewhoisred » Sun May 26, 2019 3:12 am

Lynkk wrote:Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to save data from a game acting as a bootrom (ex: SNES.rom)? Currently we can't, is there a way? Thank you.

No, it's recommended to not use a game that has saves as your boot.rom. For example, use Castlevania 4 as your boot.rom instead of SMW.

Lroby74
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Lroby74 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:32 am

Hello,
since now, i am a new Mister's owner, after tried sometimes that of my friend, at the end it's my birthday (15 June) gift :D :D :D :D

It's all still quite hard to understand for me (after about 3 years of Mist and then Mistica) but MC on Linux is wonderfull (and boot from a usb device is same!)

now i ask for begin a pair of things please..

486 core, which files i need to put into sd card?
arcade cores, which roms i need to put into sd card, mame ones?
ScummVM, should i install it by hand?

Thank you all

Roberto

spidersfrommars
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spidersfrommars » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Lroby74 wrote:Hello,
since now, i am a new Mister's owner, after tried sometimes that of my friend, at the end it's my birthday (15 June) gift :D :D :D :D

It's all still quite hard to understand for me (after about 3 years of Mist and then Mistica) but MC on Linux is wonderfull (and boot from a usb device is same!)

now i ask for begin a pair of things please..

486 core, which files i need to put into sd card?
arcade cores, which roms i need to put into sd card, mame ones?
ScummVM, should i install it by hand?

Thank you all

Roberto

For 486 you need to make a vhd and install dos or some sort of os on it. I recommend making vhd with virtualbox and installing the os with it.

arcade cores you run the script for each one with the mame files and it makes the folders for you. Or you can try smoke monster packs, but i never tried them.

Lroby74

Postby Lroby74 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:52 am

spidersfrommars wrote:For 486 you need to make a vhd and install dos or some sort of os on it. I recommend making vhd with virtualbox and installing the os with it.

arcade cores you run the script for each one with the mame files and it makes the folders for you. Or you can try smoke monster packs, but i never tried them.

Thank you,
now i have 486 and arcade cores perfectly working, do you know something about ScummVM too?
:cheers:

EDIT : about ScummVM, i've found a link for a script in another forum section (ScummVM running on FrameBuffer), i will try it

RndMnkIII
Atarian
Atarian

Problems loading cores tested with

Postby RndMnkIII » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:05 am

Hello

I have the following system:
- DE10-Nano without memory extension board and without I/O extension board.
- USB keyboard dongle connected to USB Host adapter.
- Before discovering the MiSTer project had used the DE10-Nano for simple projects with the FPGA programming the Flash memory of the board.
-Now I have tried to install MiSTer using the following files and versions:

- release_20190510.rar (installed on 16Gb Sandisk Flash SD card)
- MiSTer_20190510 (renamed to MiSTer)
- menu_20190226.rbf (renamed to menu.rbf)
- Genesis_20190510.rbf (renamed to Genesis.rbf)

genesis rome copied to a folder in fat partition in / Genesis_roms

1) Insert the SD card in the DE10-Nano
2) I connect all connections (HDMI cable, ethernet cable).
3) I turn on TV
4) Connect DC 5v 2A plug to the power adapter.
5) The main screen of MiSTer appears and I select the core Genesis.
6) The screen goes black and the TV shows that the HDMI signal has been lost.
7) This is the capture of the console since I turn on the DE10-nano until an error occurs when loading the core Genesis:

09: 35: 27.010 Core path: /media/fat/Genesis.rbf
09: 35: 27.010
09: 35: 27.010 GPI [31] == 1. FPGA is uninitialized or incompatible core loaded.
09: 35: 27.010 Quitting. Bye bye ...

In the attachment is the full output console capture since boot starts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RndMnkIII
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Problems loading cores tested with

Postby RndMnkIII » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:41 am

Ok, it's fixed. In the end a silly mistake downloading the cores from github. I've seen it was not the first one that happens the same. It works perfectly now. Thanks!

djsquare
Atariator
Atariator

Postby djsquare » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:31 am

I currently use use RGB for the vast majority of my MiSTER use. The problem that is that using RGB limits me to PVMs and while it looks fantastic, I still want to use S-Video/Composite on other old CRTs and this 1702 Commodore monitor I have on my desk. I've tried using VGA to s-video/composite cheap adapters from Amazon with no luck messing with the .ini settings. I almost got a picture switching to PAL mode (I'm in the USA) but still not a stable image. I also bought a VGA->Composite/S-Video adapter from https://www.antoniovillena.es/ and that doesn't even work. You guys have any ideas or am I stuck with RGB/HDMI?

misterItaly
Atarian
Atarian

filps command for osx

Postby misterItaly » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:28 pm

hello,
I'm trying to setup the arkanoid core on osx, I've the two roms. When I launch the shell script it complains that the flips command is missing. I can see the windows version of the command in the repo but what about the osx one? Tried to search for it on brew but it's not available

thanks

bmavatar
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bmavatar » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:25 am

Hi all

Not sure it's the right place. I did not find "forum rules or guidelines" ... and I'd like to know whether we can sell our stuff on the forum and where.
(I may have a mister to sell)

Thx

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Here's the dedicated topic to sell MiSTer-related things:
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=33613&p=377205#p377205

xav2075
Atarian
Atarian

Display\HDMI problems

Postby xav2075 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:35 am

I got a Terasic DE10-Nano board a couple of days ago. Straight away I had problems with the HDMI output with the board and Linux. I have many displays and only 2 out of 7 would work with the board running Linux X11 windows using a resolution of 1280x720. These 2 monitors are the best of the seven: 24" Dell E248WFP and a 24" BenQ XL2430T. Included in the 5 other displays that don't work is a Sony 32" flatscreen TV. I have never had this type of HDMI problem before with PC's, laptop's, games consoles and Raspberry Pi's.

This problem with the DE10-Nano and Linux I can workaround by using VNC remote desktop server and viewer. But the problem is worse with Mister because though I can get the DE10-Nano board to show the Mister softcores menu on only the 2 monitors. Both of this monitors say they have no signal after I select any of several softcores. When I select the ZX Spectrum softcore the display goes blank but if press the F12 key I can get a Mister menu display in the centre of the display. The problem is the same with or without a 32MB SDRAM plug in module with softcores that need the SDRAM or running some softcores that don't need SDRAM and the memory module is not plugged into the DE10-Nano board.

I am sure I have the SDRAM module plugged into the GPIO header nearest the power barrel jack input and pin 1 on the module going to pin 1 on the DE10-Nano GPIO board. And 3 other pins on the module going into the Arduino header. I have tried many different HDMI cables. And I have a 60mm fan keeping the SOC cool.

EDIT: In /config/Mister.ini file on the sd card I tried 'dvi_mode=1' but that did not help.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Display\HDMI problems

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:36 am

Remove SDRAM module, delete MiSTer.ini (to make sure you use default settings). Make sure you use monitor/TV with HDMI (not DVI!) input with 16:9 aspect ratio.
Then try the core not requiring SDRAM.

xav2075
Atarian
Atarian

Postby xav2075 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:07 pm

It seems that it was not that only 2 monitors could get as far as showing the softcores menu but it was one particular HDMI cable connected to the 24" 24" BenQ XL2430T gaming monitor. If I tried the DE10-Nano board with this HDMI cable with the 32" Sony TV, the only other display with HDMI inputs, then again I could get as far as the softcores menu.
I also found that another HDMI cable would do the same as above - so now 2 HDMI cables getting as far showing the softcores menu but no further.

What is weird is that the 3 other HDMI cables I have do not work at all with my DE10-Nano board and either the gaming monitor or TV. But yet they work fine when I use them with a laptop using the HDMI output on that to get a secondary display.

I also found that if I had a /config/mister.ini file with only 'dvi_mode=1' in it then the DE10-Nano yet again would get as far as showing the softcore menu when connected to other displays using a HDMI to DVI converter at the monitor end.

I did what you suggested in removing the SDRAM module and trying only a few softcores that don't need the module. And plugging in the module again and trying softcores that need the module. But this did not help.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:14 pm

xav2075 wrote:I did what you suggested in removing the SDRAM module and trying only a few softcores that don't need the module. And plugging in the module again and trying softcores that need the module. But this did not help.

Too many words and no specific answer.
From what i guess it's not HDMI issue but SDRAM module working issue.
It's either defective module or you plugged it incorrectly.
Move to newbee topic.

xav2075
Atarian
Atarian

Postby xav2075 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:21 am

Now I have a working Mister setup. Which let me test the SDRAM module. I ran memtest for an hour with the SDRAM at 167mhz. With cooling on the SOC chip memtest found no errors. With no cooling on the SOC chip memtest found errors.

I got a working system by first 'Prepare the SD-card' (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide). But instead of manually adding softcore files to the root of my sd card I pressed F9 key at the Mister softcore menu to take me to a linux command prompt. Then I did 'Staying Updated by using the update.sh script' (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ing-MiSTer). That downloaded all the softcores and gave me a working setup.

I still have the unique problem that only 2 of my 5 HDMI cables work with my DE10-Nano board but all 5 of the HDMI cables work fine when using them with my games PC, laptop, games console and Raspberry Pi's.

paulbnl
Atari User
Atari User

Postby paulbnl » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:19 am

xav2075 wrote:I still have the unique problem that only 2 of my 5 HDMI cables work with my DE10-Nano board but all 5 of the HDMI cables work fine when using them with my games PC, laptop, games console and Raspberry Pi's.

Probably defective HDMI chip which can't provide enough power with some cables. You should exchange the DE10 Nano.

xav2075
Atarian
Atarian

Postby xav2075 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 pm

After more HDMI cable testing it was 2 out of 5 cables that did not work with my DE10-Nano. The 2 are identical Xenta 3m HDMI cables.

I brought 2 x Monoprice 1m HDMI cables that are supposed to be 'Certified at 4K @ 60Hz, HDR'. Both of them work at 1080p.

So I will keep my current DE10-Nano.

Return to “MiSTer”