Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

killersquirel
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby killersquirel » Tue May 28, 2019 1:04 am

This is interesting. I updated to the latest linux and MiSTer core. I can now use Xbench again to play the WHDload files that I have. Here is the thing though, when I quit out of a game by hitting F10 or F11 depending on which the WHDload game requires to quit it hangs and doesn't load the menu any longer. I can restart the core or load the config file again to reboot into the core and Xbench, but I'm not sure what is happening here?

I'm using HDMI, 3.1.4, with Kickstart 3.1 roms.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Which CPU did you select? Why are you using 3.1 Roms with 3.1.4? You can (and should) use the file
ROMs/unsplit_unswapped/kick.a1200.46.143
Do you have the same problem when using a 3.1 system?
We do have a general stability problem with IDE in 3.1.4. I'm looking into this at the moment, so it will take I while until I get to whdload.

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Wed May 29, 2019 8:14 pm

Last edited by MartinW on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm

Formatting a partition while doing other things pretty reliably crashes my Minimig when running 3.1.4. Somehow the process dispatch of exec does not find any process it wants to start. Someone found that it's better when the max transfer rate is limited. Right now I've got an even bigger problem, the MiSTer binary crashes on me all the time. Maybe I have too many USB-devices connected for the new code.

BTW. Now it's possible to use an Amiga CF card directly in MiSTer via USB.

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Wed May 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Last edited by MartinW on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecaver99
Atarian
Atarian

Postby thecaver99 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:38 pm

I received the sd ram with the alliance chip on and the amiga core is working perfect now so I will now check all the other cores.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:01 am

R4MS wrote: Right now I've got an even bigger problem, the MiSTer binary crashes on me all the time. Maybe I have too many USB-devices connected for the new code.

I have noticed if I leave the Minimig core going idle sometimes it just resets itself. I don't know when that started but I don't thing it has always done that...

Not using many USB devices, I'm still using the sock PSU on this MiSTer so maybe I just to upgrade that.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri May 31, 2019 4:46 am

R4MS wrote:Right now I've got an even bigger problem, the MiSTer binary crashes on me all the time. Maybe I have too many USB-devices connected for the new code.

you can check the crash log to see where it crashes exactly.

Gods69
Atarian
Atarian

Amiga CD-Rom

Postby Gods69 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:21 am

Hi,
I'm cloning my old A1200 Hard Disk to the MISTer. I have created one 2000MB HDF with 4 partitions. Installed WB3.1, etc... My backup is on two cd-rom disks and i do two ISO files. I mount the ISO on MISTer and do the CD0 icon tweak on workbench. This work but all the filenames are on uppercase caracteres. Mounting this same ISO on WInuae give me the right filenames (upper and lower case caracter). How i can resolve this ?
Also i'm copying the files with the old "Disk Master" software and i do have Amiga crashs when copy. Do i need to change the disk drive proprietes , mask and max transfer rate like an real Amiga ?

Thank You (sorry for the bad english)

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Amiga CD-Rom

Postby kolla » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Gods69 wrote:Hi,
This work but all the filenames are on uppercase caracteres. Mounting this same ISO on WInuae give me the right filenames (upper and lower case caracter). How i can resolve this

Use a better filesystem handler than the default OS 3.1 CDFileSystem one. For example CacheCDFS (comes with OS 3.5/3.9 I think), AmiCDFS, AsimCDFS... or upgrade to 3.1.4, where such issues with CDFileSystem have been fixed (I think).

And yes, the issues with A600/A1200 scsi.device do not vanish on MiST(er), so you need to set max transfer rate like on real Amiga.

As for your crashes, I suggest increasing the stack for the programs that crash.
-- kolla

Gods69
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Amiga CD-Rom

Postby Gods69 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:06 pm

kolla wrote:
Gods69 wrote:Hi,
This work but all the filenames are on uppercase caracteres. Mounting this same ISO on WInuae give me the right filenames (upper and lower case caracter). How i can resolve this

Use a better filesystem handler than the default OS 3.1 CDFileSystem one. For example CacheCDFS (comes with OS 3.5/3.9 I think), AmiCDFS, AsimCDFS... or upgrade to 3.1.4, where such issues with CDFileSystem have been fixed (I think).
As for your crashes, I suggest increasing the stack for the programs that crash.

OK, i've copied AmiCDFS to a blank ADF file...Copied to my WB3.1 directory... Now all my cd-roms are only in lowercases filenames ! and the OS3.5 cd-rom are in upper cases caracters filenames. The cd-roms are good/correct under WinUAE.
Also when i change the stack size under icon information i got the message "not enough memory", even when i cone back to the 4096 default value. This is a bug?
Thanks

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:14 pm

BTW, I guess I figured out, why I had stability problems with the last major update of the binary: probably MiSTer now needs more power. But since using a pair of 0.75mm^2 cables to connect to my 100W/5V power adapter, those random resets are gone. (And yes, 100W for MiSTer is way too much. It replaces all 5V adapters I previously had to power various gadgets like USB and ethernet hubs)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:36 pm

R4MS wrote:BTW, I guess I figured out, why I had stability problems with the last major update of the binary: probably MiSTer now needs more power. But since using a pair of 0.75mm^2 cables to connect to my 100W/5V power adapter, those random resets are gone. (And yes, 100W for MiSTer is way too much. It replaces all 5V adapters I previously had to power various gadgets like USB and ethernet hubs)

your PSU will be definitely a last survivor ;)

caver99
Atariator
Atariator

Postby caver99 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 am

just reading the comments about the 3.1.4 and the ide, im using 3.1.4 on both mister and mist and not had a single problem.
im running amigaos 3.1.4 on an 8gb hdf with whdload being on a separate 8gb hdf, i use a 100mb hdf for transfer from the pc to the amiga side with a 2gb hdf for misc on the amiga and since ive been using the mister for amiga im so pleased with being able to access 4 devices on the ide.
i also have 1.3 with ide and 2gb hdf and 2.05 with workbench 2.1 and even the 3.1 setup and my 3.5 and 3.9 all on a 128gb sd card all working like a charm.
only things i would like to get working now are cd roms and networking of some kind.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:55 pm

There are a lot of pages in this thread. I did a quick glance, but thought this might be helpful. I used some of what's on this site: https://hstwb.firstrealize.com/ to successfully create a disk image that I liked. I've tried some other methods, followed some videos, etc. but Minimig didn't seem to like the images when I was done. (I'm quite used to working with Amiga emulation, but I still made a few images that failed.) Anyway, the images and utilities on the site above worked very well. (though I did have to do a bit of cleanup in Workbench to get everything just the way I wanted after installation of everything) It's pretty simplistic. Just copy your Amiga Forever stuff into the various folders they provide, run a script, then launch their UAE config, complete the steps in Workbench, and you're done more or less.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:03 pm

caver99 wrote:the 3.1.4 and the ide, im using 3.1.4 on both mister and mist and not had a single problem... [snip] ... so pleased with being able to access 4 devices on the ide.

Which means you are using IDEFix scsi.device, and not OS 3.1.4 scsi.device, and hence also avoid any potential problems with OS 3.1.4 scsi.device and the IDE.
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:07 pm

drj3rk wrote:but Minimig didn't seem to like the images when I was done.

Most often, such problems are due to differences when using uahdf.device on UAE, and scsi.device on "real" Amiga. One way to avoid this problem, is to tell UAE to emulate the A600/A1200 Gayle IDE controller (setting "hard_drive_0_controller = ide0" with FS-UAE, perhaps also WinUAE).
-- kolla

caver99
Atariator
Atariator

Postby caver99 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:55 am

kolla wrote:
caver99 wrote:the 3.1.4 and the ide, im using 3.1.4 on both mister and mist and not had a single problem... [snip] ... so pleased with being able to access 4 devices on the ide.

Which means you are using IDEFix scsi.device, and not OS 3.1.4 scsi.device, and hence also avoid any potential problems with OS 3.1.4 scsi.device and the IDE.

yes now i am yas but thats only since i put the 100gb and installed idefix but ive been using 3.1.4 since i got mister up and running.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:44 pm

kolla wrote:
drj3rk wrote:but Minimig didn't seem to like the images when I was done.

Most often, such problems are due to differences when using uahdf.device on UAE, and scsi.device on "real" Amiga. One way to avoid this problem, is to tell UAE to emulate the A600/A1200 Gayle IDE controller (setting "hard_drive_0_controller = ide0" with FS-UAE, perhaps also WinUAE).

Thanks for the tip! That may have actually been the issue. I believe that the link I mentioned above that has the config utilities chooses the IDE interface, which could have made all the difference.

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Last edited by MartinW on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:28 pm

You need to install pfs3 in rdb on on at least one disk device on the A1200, using hdtoolbox, or use a kickstart with pfs3 built in.
-- kolla

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:40 pm

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:31 pm

MartinW wrote:[EDIT] Ah, hang on - are we saying that if I have 1 full RDB based HDF that has PFS3 (or PFSAIO) loaded into the RDB then any additional single partition HDFs will then also be recognised? Actually that makes a lot of sense! Will have to give it a try - another night now :D

Exactly :)
-- kolla

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:36 pm

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Hm, without an RDB describing the partition dos type, how is AmigaOS supposed to "know" what filesystem to use on those partition images?
I can imagine WinUAE being clever about this...
-- kolla

Return to “MiSTer”