Vectrex

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Wed May 29, 2019 5:58 pm

A bit of update of the Vectrex machine:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... x_MiST.rbf

with 32K ROM + Speech support. Verzerk is so bizarre :D

Also my favourite "old" arcade, Moon Patrol:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... patrol.rbf
can be played on TV now (even with YPbPr).

User avatar
krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Olomouc/Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Vectrex

Postby krupkaj » Wed May 29, 2019 6:54 pm

wow, thanks so much, will try it during weekend.

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby vebxenon » Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 pm

slingshot wrote:A bit of update of the Vectrex machine:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... x_MiST.rbf

with 32K ROM + Speech support. Verzerk is so bizarre :D

Also my favourite "old" arcade, Moon Patrol:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... patrol.rbf
can be played on TV now (even with YPbPr).


WOW :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Thanks! I'm going to update now :D
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

schombi
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:02 am

Re: Vectrex

Postby schombi » Thu May 30, 2019 4:37 am

Cool! Will try that out. Thanks a lot!

User avatar
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Gyula, Hungary

Re: Vectrex

Postby DrOG » Thu May 30, 2019 4:39 am

slingshot wrote:A bit of update of the Vectrex machine:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... x_MiST.rbf
with 32K ROM + Speech support. Verzerk is so bizarre :D

Also my favourite "old" arcade, Moon Patrol:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... patrol.rbf
can be played on TV now (even with YPbPr).

Hi! Moon Patrol is perfect now in aspect of video compatibility, works well over SCART and component progressive/interlaced as well (see attachments).
Vecrex still has poor compatibility (my picky TV says 'unsupported format', the same as in case of previous versions of this core).
Thanks for your work, have a nice weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Vectrex

Postby DanyPPC » Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 am

Really good :cheers:

I noticed that the sound in Moon Patrol goes away after a few games

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 am

DrOG wrote:Vecrex still has poor compatibility (my picky TV says 'unsupported format', the same as in case of previous versions of this core).
Thanks for your work, have a nice weekend!


Vectrex is VGA only (hardcoded in the "core" of the core). If it would support 480p, I think that resolution wouldn't look good for vector graphics anyway.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 am

DanyPPC wrote:I noticed that the sound in Moon Patrol goes away after a few games


Didn't notice it myself, but will check. The sound board clocking is not the best thing in the core.

User avatar
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Gyula, Hungary

Re: Vectrex

Postby DrOG » Thu May 30, 2019 7:31 am

slingshot wrote:
DrOG wrote:Vecrex still has poor compatibility (my picky TV says 'unsupported format', the same as in case of previous versions of this core).
Thanks for your work, have a nice weekend!


Vectrex is VGA only (hardcoded in the "core" of the core). If it would support 480p, I think that resolution wouldn't look good for vector graphics anyway.

Hi!
It's a known issue of the original core, wrote about it earlier in the another Vectrex topic:
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=33150#p339619
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=33150&start=50#p347632

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Thu May 30, 2019 7:42 am

DrOG wrote:Hi!
It's a known issue of the original core, wrote about it earlier in the another Vectrex topic:
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=33150#p339619
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=33150&start=50#p347632


It doesn't generate csync for 30kHz, only with YPbPr enabled. But my TV says, the resolution is not supported. The core generates 524 30kHz lines (exactly 30000Hz), which gives an 57.25Hz refresh rate.

User avatar
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Gyula, Hungary

Re: Vectrex

Postby DrOG » Thu May 30, 2019 9:29 am

slingshot wrote:
DrOG wrote:Hi!
It's a known issue of the original core, wrote about it earlier in the another Vectrex topic:
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=33150#p339619
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=33150&start=50#p347632

It doesn't generate csync for 30kHz, only with YPbPr enabled. But my TV says, the resolution is not supported. The core generates 524 30kHz lines (exactly 30000Hz), which gives an 57.25Hz refresh rate.

The BenQ says the same:
...the info shows video out is 640x500@57Hz.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Thu May 30, 2019 9:35 am

Looked at the sync gen code, maybe I can try with an 500 pix vertical resolution, that would give an exact 60 Hz vertical frequency.
Or can play with the horizontal resolution, too to produce 31kHz horizontal freq. I think the Vectrex doesn't have a traditional "refresh rate" concept, so there's room to play with. Do you have some info about acceptable component timings? E.g. 31kHz - 50 Hz with 620 lines (including blank+sync), maybe that would be an acceptable 576p video signal.

Upd.: found info for 576p video, copying here for reference: 32us/line (31,25kHz), 625 lines = 50Hz

Chris23235
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby Chris23235 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 am

slingshot wrote:Also my favourite "old" arcade, Moon Patrol:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... patrol.rbf
can be played on TV now (even with YPbPr).


Wow, what a nice surprise, many thanks Slingshot, Moon Patrol is also one of my favorite Arcade games of all time. It runs so well and looks still fantastic (even more on a RGB Monitor).

It would be great to have access to the Dip Switches, Moon Patrol has a lot of options to tweak the game via Dip Switches.

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby vebxenon » Thu May 30, 2019 2:08 pm

slingshot wrote:A bit of update of the Vectrex machine:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... x_MiST.rbf

with 32K ROM + Speech support. Verzerk is so bizarre :D

Also my favourite "old" arcade, Moon Patrol:
https://github.com/gyurco/Mist_FPGA/blo ... patrol.rbf
can be played on TV now (even with YPbPr).


Just a question, ¿How do use joystick + speech? If I activate the speech, no controla are working...
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Thu May 30, 2019 3:30 pm

vebxenon wrote:
Just a question, ¿How do use joystick + speech? If I activate the speech, no controla are working...


In reality, the speech module is plugged into the 2nd joystick port. Seems some games don't like it. But those presumably don't use it.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Corrected the horizontal freq to 31.25kHz, better on VGA, and my TV likes it via YPbPr. Please try it, if it works, then no need for further tweaking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Vectrex

Postby DanyPPC » Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Oh, it works very well on my TV/Monitor through YPbPr cable :cheers:

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Vectrex

Postby DanyPPC » Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Is there a chance to change control mapping ?
Following option [vectrex] seems do not have effect:

[vectrex]
joystick_remap=0810,E501,1,2,4,8,80,80,10,10,20,40,0,0,10,20

Thanks

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby vebxenon » Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 pm

slingshot wrote:
vebxenon wrote:
Just a question, ¿How do use joystick + speech? If I activate the speech, no controla are working...


In reality, the speech module is plugged into the 2nd joystick port. Seems some games don't like it. But those presumably don't use it.


Berzerk is the game I tried :)
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

User avatar
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Gyula, Hungary

Re: Vectrex

Postby DrOG » Fri May 31, 2019 4:40 am

slingshot wrote:Corrected the horizontal freq to 31.25kHz, better on VGA, and my TV likes it via YPbPr. Please try it, if it works, then no need for further tweaking.

Perfect over VGA and component as well! Thank for your effort!!! :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Fri May 31, 2019 3:03 pm

DanyPPC wrote:Is there a chance to change control mapping ?
Following option [vectrex] seems do not have effect:

[vectrex]
joystick_remap=0810,E501,1,2,4,8,80,80,10,10,20,40,0,0,10,20

Thanks

Try with [Vectrex]. Seems the comparison in the firmware is case-sensitive.

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Vectrex

Postby DanyPPC » Fri May 31, 2019 5:01 pm

many thanks Slingshot

No way :(

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby slingshot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 am

vebxenon wrote:
Berzerk is the game I tried :)


The speech enhanced version is called Verzerk.

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Vectrex

Postby vebxenon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

slingshot wrote:
vebxenon wrote:
Berzerk is the game I tried :)


The speech enhanced version is called Verzerk.


Ok :D :cheers:
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board


Return to “MiST”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests